Discussion topic: SKY STREAM - New software build QS021.005.00P caused new audio sync issue

This message was authored by LS3Capri This message was authored by: LS3Capri

Re: SKY STREAM - New software build QS021.005.00P caused new audio sync issue

Nope 😩 mine has always had lip sync issues even with latest software. Only way to 'fix' it was to use PCM only. Tried every config on my tv/soundbar setup and it's always the same. 

This message was authored by Mikeabc1 This message was authored by: Mikeabc1

Hi All,  First month with Stream after 20years with Sky. Switched from Sky Q tio cut down on the hardware/costs and at the end of the day streaming is the future. 
Fir simplicity I initially went for Skyglass as main tv and stream in the lounge. Skyglass lasted a day and went back as I could never live with the picture or sound. Sky stream was an initial nightmare starting with it continually dropping out and needing coaxing back into action by powering down etc etc. I had it wired via HDMI to my Sky Soundbox but it now at least stays connected by going direct to TV and a minor inconvenience to use optical for the sound and power on the Soundbox separately. 
As for the issue with the lip sync, mine was terrible and almost unwatchable.  I've made so many changes that I don't know what's suddenly fixed it but it's ok now.

No idea what firmware versions I've been on when it was not working but now on QS023.010.00P on both TV's. 
TV that was skyglass is now back to the original tv.  I got a 2nd stream for that and had no problem with it even though I had issues with the other one. 
Big adjustment from Q and I'll stick with it for now. 
Sky need to spend some more money on a better quality puck or develop an app that works on Apple TV

Mike

Paul+Dray
Topic Author
This message was authored by Paul+Dray This message was authored by: Paul+Dray

Ok so today my Sky Stream Puck has gone back again to the newer build of QS024.012.00P that I was on briefly before it automatically reverted to QS023.010.00P. So I was pleased about that and did a reboot as I always do after new software upgrades but strangely the lip sync doesn't seem as good as it was when I was on this QS024 version before. Ie the video is slightly ahead of the audio again (Dolby Digital). It's not horrendous but still slightly off. Very strange. So it continues..

————————
Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 50in Plasma TV | Yamaha DSP-AX863 SE AV Amp
Sky Stream Puck; Build: QS030.521.00P | Sky Broadband Ultrafast
————————
This message was authored by clarkinorwich This message was authored by: clarkinorwich

Select "passthrough" setting which instantly sorted it when passing through an amp via the puck

Paul+Dray
Topic Author

The problem with that is that non Dolby Digital programs get passed through as only PCM Stereo which means dialogue gets mixed into the 2 channels. The AV amp is forced to only be in Straight mode with just L & R channels. If I set my puck sound settings to Dolby Digital when a program I'm watching isn't in Dolby Digital it allows my AV receiver to be in Dolby Pro Logic II mode (5.1 surround) therefore separating majority of dialogue into my center speaker which is much clearer and more natural sounding like it is when in Dolby Digital.

I suspect if they hadn't limited the puck's PCM audio output to just stereo this wouldn't also be a problem when in passthrough mode, I'm not totally sure about that though. 

————————
————————
Paul+Dray
Topic Author

@Paul+Dray wrote:

The problem with that is that non Dolby Digital programs get passed through as only PCM Stereo which means dialogue gets mixed into the 2 channels. The AV amp is forced to only be in Straight mode with just L & R channels. If I set my puck sound settings to Dolby Digital when a program I'm watching isn't in Dolby Digital it allows my AV receiver to be in Dolby Pro Logic II mode (5.1 surround) therefore separating majority of dialogue into my center speaker which is much clearer and more natural sounding like it is when in Dolby Digital.

I suspect if they hadn't limited the puck's PCM audio output to just stereo this wouldn't also be a problem when in passthrough mode, I'm not totally sure about that though. 

Need to correct first line above. Non Digital Digital surround/multi channel programs get passed through as Dolby Digital Plus 2.0.

I've looked at this a bit more today and it's interesting what signals my av amp get sent when switching between sound output modes on the sky puck. I'll post on this more bit later...

————————
————————
Paul+Dray
Topic Author

As promised....this goes on a bit...

Ok so something strange I found in the behavioural differences of non multichannel digital surround program audio (I.e 2.0 audio, such as on Sky News channel) being sent from the Sky Stream puck to my AV Amp (Yamaha). Would love to know if others can check this too.

If I set my Sky Stream Puck Audio output to ‘Dolby Digital’, non DD multichannel audio programs  (ie. 2.0 channel audio signal) gets sent through as Dolby Digital 2.0 bitstream and allows my AV amp to be able to play this straight as 2 channel front L & R speakers or engage surround decoder mode and upmix it to Dolby Pro Logic. -This makes it so dialogue is coming from the center speaker and any music etc getting put through the L & R channels and even sometimes a small bit through surround channels. (So basically mixing things up as pro logic was designed to do).

The amp shows this audio signal as Dolby Digital 2.0

Now, if I switch the Sky puck audio output to ‘Dolby Digital Plus’ or Passthrough mode then the non DD Plus multichannel audio programs gets sent to my AV amp as Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 bitstream (as you’d expect) but this time it prevents the AV amp  from being able to engage any surround decoder mode such as Dolby Pro Logic. It just says ‘unavailable’ (if I remember correctly). It just can’t be budged from Straight mode which is the 2.0 channel signal  going through the L & R speakers. So no ability to create surround channels from this 2.0 signal the way pro logic usually can.

The only thing that I believe can be going on here is that the Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 audio signal from the Sky puck is being sent as 2.0 mono channels (yes this is a thing) rather than stereo channels which is what is required by Pro Logic to do its stuff.

The fact it’s doing this in Passthrough mode is even stranger as it must mean that the stereo only audio from the likes of Sky News is being upmixed to Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 (2 split mono channels) in the Sky Puck before being sent to the AV amp preventing the amp receiving a stereo signal and doing the upmixing itself which would then let you ‘Pro Logic ‘it. As I say this is strange in passthrough mode as it’s supposed to pass through the raw audio data (with the necessary metadata attached).

Sorry for the long ramblings…

Would love if someone with a similar setup to me (AV amp and seperate home cinema speakers) could check this out to see if they get the same results.

I’ve left it on Passthrough mode for now as lip sync doesn’t suffer from the ‘already delayed’ issue that the other bitstream options have. I’ll just have to see if I can get used to non DD surround programs only coming out my two front speakers and not having dialogue separated and fixed in the centre speaker.

————————
————————
This message was authored by Mortz1 This message was authored by: Mortz1

This was driving me insane and was on the verge of cancelling Sky as a result!

Solved this on my setup (Philips 65OLED706/12, Sky Stream Puck with QS023.010.00P,  Sonos Beam 1 with Sonos OneSL and Sub Mini) by changing the following setting on my TV:-

Settings > Sound > Advanced > Digital out format > Multichannel (bypass)

This message was authored by AnthonyPev1960 This message was authored by: AnthonyPev1960

I've just changed to pass through (wasn't advised to do this by Sky) from Dolby and it seems to have worked! 🙏

This message was authored by Johnty+Tizzle This message was authored by: Johnty+Tizzle

Hi,

our sound has gone when on auto. Watching via the puck and soundbar. Have put it to PCM but that's the only one that works? 

Paul+Dray
Topic Author

@Johnty+Tizzle wrote:

Hi,

our sound has gone when on auto. Watching via the puck and soundbar. Have put it to PCM but that's the only one that works? 

I've had this sort of glitch happen before. Have you tried unplugging the puck from the power for 30 secs then back in to see if it resolves the issue? I've also noticed that if you put it to auto or one of the other outputs that is silent and then change the delay setting it can come back.

————————
————————
This message was authored by Pukkajim This message was authored by: Pukkajim

Terrible lip sync here. Brand new user of sky stream. Different brands of tv all using arc or earc. Better with pass through but still noticeable. 

This message was authored by Evansalex90 This message was authored by: Evansalex90

Can you let me know what sound settings you have on sky stream? 

I have done the same with my Phillips tv (multichannel bypass) and still noticeable lip sync issues.

I have Phillips 55OLED, sky stream, beam 1, 2 x sonos ones. 

Previously had an optical from sky q but have now moved to sky stream and truly awful audio sync issues. 

This message was authored by Pukkajim This message was authored by: Pukkajim

I have pass through on the stream puck, passthrough on the tv, and leaving the Sonos soundbar to do the processing. It's much better. Also noticed turning all the smoothing picture processing off on the tv has helped

This message was authored by Evansalex90 This message was authored by: Evansalex90

Thankyou.

It's very odd. When I turn on pass through on sky stream the audio goes completely. Then I try again and it suddenly works and then drops out for the next tv show...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion