Discussion topic: Paying bill/restriction of services

This message was authored by Michael92a This message was authored by: Michael92a

Paying bill/restriction of services

Hi,

Just a quick question as the person on live chat i spoke to didn't make it clear enough for me personally.

My broadband bill was meant to come off on the 28th of January, sadly due to struggling with finances i am unable to pay this untill the 17th of Feb. I received an email from sky with the following -

"Unfortunately, your last Direct Debit payment hasn't gone through as there weren't enough funds in your bank accoun, Don't worry though; we'll automatically make another request for payment on or just after the 07/02/2023. That means it's important you make sure there is enough money in your bank account to cover the amount due, so you can be sure of keeping your Sky services active. Failure to make payment at the earliest opportunity, may also result in a late payment fee of £10.00 being applied to your account prior to restriction of service."

I've spoken to the person on live chat who somewhat reassured me my services will not be restricted on the 7th if payment is not made and it's fine if i pay it on the 17th instead.

This is the message i got from live chat -

"Yes, you can make the payment on 17/02/2023 i will add full notes on your account."

"Well! i understand your query, Well! As you have mentioned that you make the payment on 17th February. Not an Issue, I'll make a note of it, that you connected us to keep us posted regarding the payments. But make sure you do not cancel your DD leave as it is on your account. Be rest-assured about it and make sure you make the payment as per mentioned above. Thank you."

Can i assume even though on the billing page it still states Sky will attempt to take a payment on the 7th aslong as i keep my direct debit in place my services won't be restricted or do i need to worry? last thing i need is to find out my services will be restricted on the 7th when i am able to pay it on the 17th which is only a 10 day difference.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Best Answers
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

Re: Paying bill/restriction of services

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Michael92a If you have a continuous payment method setup (direct debit or card) and first attempt fails Sky will automatically retry 10 calendar days later (so don't make a manual payment unless Sky requests you too) if that second attempt fails an automatic process of restrictions will kick in (which we've been told can't be overriden by sky cs agents) starting with tv followed a few days later by broadband if sky is your isp

if restrictions are imposed they won't be lifted until the outstanding payment is paid in full and a new continuous payment method is setup

Note: if you don’t have a continuous payment setup the 10 day grace period does not apply and therefore unless full payment due is showing as credit on your account by payment due date restrictions will be applied almost instantly

also note sky don’t do payment plans or promises to pay on active accounts I’m afraid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

@Michael92a If you have a continuous payment method setup (direct debit or card) and first attempt fails Sky will automatically retry 10 calendar days later (so don't make a manual payment unless Sky requests you too) if that second attempt fails an automatic process of restrictions will kick in (which we've been told can't be overriden by sky cs agents) starting with tv followed a few days later by broadband if sky is your isp

if restrictions are imposed they won't be lifted until the outstanding payment is paid in full and a new continuous payment method is setup

Note: if you don’t have a continuous payment setup the 10 day grace period does not apply and therefore unless full payment due is showing as credit on your account by payment due date restrictions will be applied almost instantly

also note sky don’t do payment plans or promises to pay on active accounts I’m afraid

Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Michael92a 

Sky staff can't stop that restriction if the second attempt fails dispite what you may have been told. 

The normal procedure is if you have a Direct Debit set up and the payment fails on the normal payment date Sky will attempt it again 10 calendar days later. Don’t necessarily be tempted to make a manual payment at this point as you may end up paying twice. If that second attempt also fails Sky may send a text and/or email notifying you that your payment has failed again and you have 2/3 days before they restrict your services.

If you have a Continuous Card payment method set up, once the payment fails you don’t have the luxury of that second attempt. Sky send the text/email notification about the failed payment and you usually have about 2/3 days before being restricted.

This is all an automated process and Skys Customer Service agents can’t stop it.
Sky don’t allow payment plans (except on a legitimately closed account) or a promise to pay. This link may also provide some advice
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cost-of-living-support

If your services end up being restricted you will:-
(1) have to pay what you owe in full
(2) set up a new continuous payment method
(3) wait for the payment to reach Skys account.
Then your services should be reinstated automatically.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Michael92a if that's what Sky has agreed with you, I'd suggest contacting them once your services are restricted (it's an automatic process as has been highlighted already). Contacting them will be difficult as you'll be diverted to a request for payment when you call. The Twitter feed or Facebook Messenger are possibilities.

This message was authored by Bezzadee This message was authored by: Bezzadee

Can I pay 30 and pay the rest on next bill please can you switch it back on 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Bezzadee 

The replies above your post apply to you too. If your services are restricted, before Sky reinstate them you will have to pay what you owe and also set up a new continuous payment method. If your payment is two or more weeks overdue you will also have to pay the next bill as well. If you allow your arrears to remain for 56 days Sky may terminate your account.

[Depending on your previous payment history you may be able to pay all but £25 which will then be added to your next bill, although this does NOT apply for a Sky Mobile restriction].

If you can’t pay it all in one go you can pay what you want, when you want, but until the bill is paid off in full Sky will not reinstate your services. Sky don't allow payment plans on overdue live accounts, nor will they consider promises to pay.

Once your payment has cleared and is in Sky’s account your services should be reinstated, but be aware this may not be instant especially at a weekend as the banks are closed.

Any attempt to call Sky will result in you being prompted to pay first.

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by wigan1973 This message was authored by: wigan1973

How do you chat to them online 

Are you services restricted @wigan1973 

Sky customer since 2001

Not yet but I need to talk to them 

@wigan1973 
If you already have a Sky Mobile or a Sky Talk landline call free by just dialling 150, otherwise you can use:
https://www.sky.com/help/home
UK: Scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides a 0333 number.
ROI: change the flag in the bottom right corner of the link to the ROI flag then scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides a 0818 number.
(The forum doesn’t allow us to type the numbers in full).

As with most large companies the start will be automated but stay on the line and don’t hang up if you’re prompted to.

Sky customer since 2001

Is there not online chat ?

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@wigan1973  Online chat is only available for certain issues yours unfortunately is not one of them 

This message was authored by Harjinderkaur This message was authored by: Harjinderkaur

Hello can you call me  please I want to pat bill

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Harjinderkaur wrote:

Hello can you call me  please I want to pat bill

@Harjinderkaur this is a public forum of other Sky customers not Sky customer services. Also Sky wouldn't know who you are from an forum post so would be unable to call you anyway.

you should be able to pay your bill via your My Sky account. Note that if your bill is overdue and your services are restricted you won't be able to speak to a Sky advisor as phoning from your registered phone number will tell you that the bill must be paid before you can talk to someone.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/make-a-payment

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion