Discussion topic: yo-yo broadband up and down...

This message was authored by tkmaxxx This message was authored by: tkmaxxx

yo-yo broadband up and down...

so im pulling my hair out been on the phone with sky for 40 mins and they say as their test show im connected it's not their service, it's apparently been escalated but she did not fill me with hope. Two weeks ago the service was shocking and this was happening so logged this , again I was told after 48 hours via text my service was restored - it's worked ok since but yup again from Tuesday its been up and down. The voice light on the hub turns amber / green intermittently, but when i have no internet the internet light is still green ( so the advisor told me its not their service?! ) . Can someone help pulling my hair out and worried they are not going to do anything? It may be a coincidence but BT have been sitting at a local cabinet for two days earlier this week.. how do you get the sky team to actually look at the router logs which show if i have internet or not?   ive been up so far (touch wood) for about 10mins here are the current stat logs - greek to me! 

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 2880864 2082832 0 2415809 8660796 00:12:02 LAN Up 2104672 2902145 2 7739632 1435572 00:14:36 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 6489 0 0 15254 0 00:13:01 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 6618 962 0 16425 2055 00:12:58

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 135171 kbps 30025 kbps Line Attenuation D1(40.2 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB) Noise Margin 3.1 dB 6.6 dB

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: yo-yo broadband up and down...

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tkmaxxx you are on a connection thst uses a technology known as G.Fast which while being faster than standard VDSL services is more fragile. Sky's diagnostic tools communicates directly with your hub which gives them the history of your connection without requiring you to send them the log file.. 

I would check your own home as that is most likely to be the souurce of interference if that is a the cause. G.Fast services are known to be affected by many types of Power;ine adapter systems (aka Home plugs) if you have these they are the most likely suspect Also move any wireless kit away from near the Sky hub and make sure the lead from the special master phone socket Openreach fitted to the hub is in good condition and is no more than 3 meters long. 

Having done that it is down to Sky and Openreach to find the cause. Which can be difficult. It is unlikely engineers working on other connections in the cabinet caused the issue but that is simething they can check..

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
tkmaxxx
Topic Author

Thanks, no home plugs only thing i use is a tp deco which historically has been bullet proof, as problem solving i turned these off and problem still remains. Hub is by the master socket short cable 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tkmaxxx then its back to Sky unfortunately but given the speed of your connection is likely to be well above the guarantee it msybe impossible for them to get Openreach to do much. The tolerance level is up to 10drops each 24 hour period after which the DLM system should kick in. This can be very irritating for the end customer and is one of the reasons Openreach have stopped installing mor G.Fast pods.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
tkmaxxx
Topic Author

thanks , i only had this router  SR204 installed last week? so far in the hour I've had 10 / 20 drops of internet, the sky router is still showing 'connected' though , on speaking to sky this morning all they said they can do is to 'monitor' the line for 30 days which is highly unhelpful, the lady I spoke to seemed helpful and said she would call back in 10mins to see what else she can do - really hoping she does call back... 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion