Discussion topic: Changing Sky Hub to different router/modem

This message was authored by Elim+Garak This message was authored by: Elim+Garak

Re: Changing Sky Hub to different router/modem

@cookiemonsteruk and thank you again.

I am sorry if I was not clear, my RT-AX86U Pro is only a router, not a modem/router.

Cheers.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Elim+Garak 

@Elim+Garak wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk and thank you again.

I am sorry if I was not clear, my RT-AX86U Pro is only a router, not a modem/router.

Cheers.

Aye, that because the ont that will be installed is effectively a fibre optic modem

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

Which is why the asus plugs directly into it

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Elim+Garak This message was authored by: Elim+Garak

Oh, that's great. Thank you for the explaination.

Right now, the Virgin Media Ont is mounted on the wall outside and the cable is being passed into the house through a hole in the wall. I hope that the Sky technician will mount it inside, then.

Cheers!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Elim+Garak 

Sorry poor wording choice from me there, if you take the Ultrafast package this is over FTTP and you will get an Openreach ONT. 

The process once its installed is to connect the Asus router to the Openreach ONT via the Asus WAN port, then on the Asus WAN setting set it to Automatic IP and in the 'DHCP Option 61' box type abc123@skydsl|abc123

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Thank you everyone!
Since I guess that Sky Stream will use the app I have on my LG TV, there should be no problem if I do not use SKY hub, right?
Cheers!

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Elim+Garak 

Sky stream is a seperate box much like the original now tv box . The app on lg tv's is for now  tv

It doesn't matter if you use a different isp or 3rd router 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion