Discussion topic: Voice light goes amber frequently.

This message was authored by Anthonyh1976 This message was authored by: Anthonyh1976

Re: Voice light goes amber frequently.

My word some of the stuff Sky blame problems on are laughable!

Mine went off again tonight just after midnight. 

Instead of turning the router off I unplugged the phone line and then plugged it back in.

My connection came back on after it reconnected.  Don't know what that means but the router didn't need a reboot. 🤷‍

This message was authored by Digitaljunior This message was authored by: Digitaljunior

Having experienced the VOIP amber light 2-3 times a week around 10pm-12midnight, the steps I have taken were:

Change SKY Router - still faults

Change Ethernet cable - still faults

Openreach expert visit (22/8/22) - no faults found

The Openreach engineer checked connection outside house, end of street and changed Openreach white connection box but stated no faults and good light quality.

If VOIP goes amber again I'm going to perminantly unplug analogue phone from the SKY Router and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise have to change to EE or BT

This message was authored by RCV8206 This message was authored by: RCV8206

I hope for your sake that unplugging your phone does cure the issue however I have never had a phone plugged in and still experienced the issue. Since switching to a 3rd party router I don't seem to be experiencing the issue anywhere near as frequently as I was, in 2 months I've only had to reboot the router once

This message was authored by Consider+leaving This message was authored by: Consider+leaving

I left Sky broadband yesterday and have enjoyed 24 hours of uninterrupted WiFi! The amber voice light was showing on the router once or twice an hour for weeks. 

im hoping BT continues to deliver

This message was authored by MurphysFlaw This message was authored by: MurphysFlaw

Sky will not take this seriously. It's probably not cost effective for them to do so. I'm waiting for my contract to run out and then switching to EE. They were almost bullet proof when I was with them last

This message was authored by phillipspd This message was authored by: phillipspd

A bit early in the evening, but my voice light just came on. All internet access for all devices no longer working. EXCEPT my Laptop which had a VPN connection to my office !!! Sky Glass was down, Tablets couldn't access anything, but for my Laptop, it was not affected at all. I have no idea why???

As for Sky, the said the issue was caused by the Base Unit for my doorbell camera which was connected to the Router using an Ethernet cable. It's now connected over Wi-Fi. Let's see ...

This message was authored by Digitaljunior This message was authored by: Digitaljunior

There is something fundimentally wrong with SKY fibre with so many customers reporting the VOIP amber light.

Personally we have had a two new SKY routers,  three new ethernet cables, a new Openreach white box and still have the issue.  Openreach engineer found no issues when onsite on Monday and said light quality is excellent.

I have spent about 10hours on the phone now with SKY and some of the high end network team who says it is when the SKY router is obtaining a new IP address and gets stuck.

Come on SKY this needs fixing as we are paying £40-£50 a month for a service worse than copper fibre broadband.

This message was authored by SiG72 This message was authored by: SiG72

**bleep**. 21:30 and it's gone down, AGAIN!!!!!!

Beyond a joke now. 

This message was authored by RoamingNimbus This message was authored by: RoamingNimbus

Been having this for a while now too and seems to be getting more frequent - used to be once a week or every other week but now 2-3 a week and almost always between 21:30-23:00. I've not spoken with Sky myself but my dad has a few times usually resulting in us monitoring it and noting date and time. The router's logs aren't much help as it just says voice disconnected and voice connected, though the VOIP isn't too much of an issue for us as we don't use the phone all that often.

Not had much chance to look into it before or it would sort itself out before I was able to finish testing however got my chance earlier this week.

Like @TomThumb5ive I've found that using an alternative DNS (in my case Google's 8.8.8.8) resolved the issue. When it happened again this evening the device using the alternative DNS was unaffected.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and maybe do this with a few other devices but ultimately Sky would need to fix whatever is causing the issue with their DNS as not everyone will be able to set up an alternative on their devices.

This message was authored by Kev205 This message was authored by: Kev205

After thinking I had solved the amber light issue. It happened again. It seems there's no fix and sky won't admit it. I'm not even going to phone them up. I'll preserve until Christmas. Then I'll resolve by going to BT. 

This message was authored by RCV8206 This message was authored by: RCV8206

I'm thinking exactly the same, thought I'd solved it by using a third party router but still have issues at least once a month (improvement at least). I've set a deadline of 1st Jan then I'll pay early termination fees and leave. Even if Sky fix the problem (unlikely I know) I'll still be leaving when my contract is up in Oct 23

This message was authored by nirishdaisy This message was authored by: nirishdaisy

In case it helps anyone else I had posted on another thread:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Internet-drops-out-after-voice-light-turns-orange/td-p/408267...

My sky hub was on an extension lead, I took it off and put it straight into the wall last night.   I have had no problems since.  Rang Sky this morning as it was an ongoing issue, they checked the line and it's fine.  Guy said thanks for letting him know, it might help someone else.

This message was authored by Kev205 This message was authored by: Kev205

Good luck with that. I did a few changes. Thought I'd sorted it. But if this is an ongoing issue and it's happened a few times before, it will continue. Sky say it's all fine because it's an intermittent issue.  It seems everyone has a different set up with different solutions but all the same outcome. I hope it works for you. Going to BT will work for me. 👍🏽

This message was authored by Bubba20 This message was authored by: Bubba20

Hi all and thanks for the reply's etc. I had the sky engineer out he checked everything out what he has done has hard wired the tv to the modem rather thank using the Wi-Fi. This was Thursday, two days ago. Up to now it's been okay but this issue can be twice a night if once a week so will see how it goes. I have said to sky that if it continues I will leave using the fact that your not providing me with the quality of performance I was promised. Let's see what happened people 

10.05pm last night (28th Aug) - 2 days after last drop - Internet went off again with Amber VOIP light

I raised a formal complaint last week but heard nothing since.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion