Discussion topic: Can someone explain how broadband is setup? I am in a brand new house.

This message was authored by dc2002 This message was authored by: dc2002

Can someone explain how broadband is setup? I am in a brand new house.

So as you probably seen my last post I have Virgin Media setup. And now getting Sky 1gb Ultrafast Max.

So just wondering how it will all be setup. I'll add a pic of how my Virgin media was installed yesterday within the house.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel.312903435_2062493637268159_1930744268005692160_n.jpg

All Replies

dc2002
Topic Author

Re: Can someone explain how broadband is setup? I am in a brand new house.

The house is brand new so surely there wont be any old style outdoor drilling?

dc2002
Topic Author

All up to date stuff within etc.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dc2002 

Only Virgin can use that coaxial cable and associated hardware.  Sky 'Gigafast', like any other FTTP delivered over the Openreach network, requires an optical cable all the way up to and then into the property, and the installation of an Openreach ONT ('fibre modem').  Unless you have easily available existing ducts, some drilling is inevitable.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@dc2002 

"What’s Involved in an Openreach FTTP Full-Fibre Broadband Installation?" 

dc2002
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

I dont understand any of this stuff.

I'll add a pic of the front and maybe you can try explain how it's done in more detail if possible?

Theres a box maybe it would go through or something I will outline.307336222_843806916627221_8542972407244220668_n.jpg310798860_3327646477496929_3636904441423922448_n.jpg311049776_682509253353749_5871315773293752130_n.jpg

@dc2002 

Hopefully your developer liased with Openreach during the build process and has made Openreach-grade ducting available: unfortunately it's always possible that they gave Virgin priority instead.

If there's no Openreach ONT at the address, or at the very least an optical cable (the one with the green jack) then these have to be installed before FTTP from any ISP is possible: FTTP is light over an optical bearer and simply incompatible with Virgin coaxial cable.

ONT_wall.jpg

dc2002
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

Thanks.

@dc2002 

My guess would be that in a development like that all services are underground: how they get into the building depends on what the architect specified. Typically Openreach prefers an external CSP, as described in the article I linked above, but doing this internally isn't unknown.  Of course, it's preferable that all this is sorted out during the build itself rather than adding boxes and cabling externally in retrospect.

dc2002
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

If your guess is correct what would that mean for installing the broadband?

@dc2002 

Ideally you'd have an accessible duct to the inside of the property through which the optical cable can arrive, and then an internal CSP next to the ONT.  If this can't be done then you'll get a new box on an outside wall and a drilled entry point, which really isn't good for modern high-efficiency composite insulation.

dc2002
Topic Author

Alright thanks for info!

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Its VERY UNUSUAL for Virgin to install all their equipment* by default on a new-build so I rather suspect the developer has done an exclusive deal with Virgin and there's no Openreach services available.

If you have a postcode that's actually live then you could see what it says here (use the address checker) :

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

*Virgin only install equipment/cabling within the new-build when the owner/occupier places an order with them.

Edit - who is the developer?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Mr+Slant wrote:

Its VERY UNUSUAL for Virgin to install all their equipment* by default on a new-build so I rather suspect the developer has done an exclusive deal with Virgin and there's no Openreach services available.

If you have a postcode that's actually live then you could see what it says here (use the address checker) :

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

*Virgin only install equipment/cabling within the new-build when the owner/occupier places an order with them.

Edit - who is the developer?

@Mr+Slant 

I believe ultrafast max is sky ireland branding and siro have no equivalent database but the install would be pretty much the same as in the uk as openreach

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Ah he's in Eire, missed that 🙂

I was curious because the big housebuilders in the UK are starting to go down the route of "exclusive access" for one broadband service. Eg on new Persimmon developments there will be no Virgin or Openreach services from now on, you have to use Persimmon's own "ISP".....

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion