Discussion topic: I've had my conversation with Sky and.......

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I've had my conversation with Sky and.......

....... the first thing.

Sky acknowledged that the product was released to market too early!

But we all kind of knew this anyway.

Apparently firmware releases are to be ramped up as the "team" are working to get it right and stable. Priority items are:

1. Netflix "black screen" QS14 but also needs further work planned QS15.

2. "You need to update your subscription" planning for QS15.

3. "Split films not 'recording' both halves" work in progress no date.

4. "Complete Watching" work in progress no date.

5. "Playlist" planned to improve QS15

6. "Personal Profiles", on the shelf for future release.

That's basically it, she said you won't believe how huge the work list is! The feeling I got is they are in a pickle and if sales could be suspended they would but it would be huge embarrassment to do this and Sky are too far in.

My advise to anyone looking to switch is don't do it until next year.

I've agreed something with them but not right to say here everyone needs to do their own thing but I will keep Stream.

All Replies

This message was authored by Jon+Reeve This message was authored by: Jon+Reeve

Re: I've had my conversation with Sky and.......

Money solves everything! 😁

This message was authored by Kenzy This message was authored by: Kenzy

Fully agree!

I back on SkyQ from next week, just awaiting the equipment!!

Topic Author

@Anonymous Wow!

I'm on the verge of abandoning Sky Glass and just using my ATV's especially as the What's on TV app and TV Launcher apps are improving (TV Guide) and just adding NOW.  This will also save me money also.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Anonymous 

I wonder if the "something" you've agreed with Sky is the same as what I have. 

Stream would have been long gone in our house but at the price we were offered it made sense to keep it, even though it's barely used. We're paying not that much more than a full-priced Netflix Premium subscription so we make full use of that on our other devices and just turn the puck on for the odd bit of Sky-exclusive content. No Sports or Cinema but we get UHD/HDR & Atmos.

It's absolutely fine for watching the odd Sky show every now and again and (the one thing we all seem to agree on) the picture & sound quality is excellent. But the UI, playlist, continue watching, etc, etc. all still needs a year of work. I quite enjoy turning the puck on every now and again with the foolhardy hope that things might have improved... but no. Not yet. It's also still pot luck whether either of the remotes I have will even work to turn the thing on! 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous Wow!

I'm on the verge of abandoning Sky Glass and just using my ATV's especially as the What's on TV app and TV Launcher apps are improving (TV Guide) and just adding NOW.  This will also save me money also.

These are what we use on the ATV 4K on our main TV. So much quicker than using Stream. Even though the image quality isn't always as good, it's still an infinitely more pleasurable user experience than the temperamental puck.  

This message was authored by WG+Wright This message was authored by: WG+Wright

Like a lot of the posts above I've been doing something similar. I've had Sky Glass from the outset and the concept is great - if only it would work as it should. Firstly I moved my FTTP from Sky to EE and cancelled BT sport on Sky as well. I get BT sport for free with EE plus Apple TV for a cheaper price than I was paying for my Sky broadband and BT Sport. Continue watching on Apple TV works as it is supposed to. In addition I've now completely given up on using Playlist and Continue watching on Glass. I've hooked up a Freesat box to the Glass TV and used this to watch programs recorded in the proper manner AND also have the ability to delete them when I want. It's a bit of a faff but at least it enables me to get things to work in the way I want. My only complaint (my fault) is that I bought my Sky Glass TV outright when Sky Glass came out. Had I not done this I would have given serious thought to binning Glass completely and buying another TV!!

Sky Glass 43 inch (replacing Sky Q) Sky FTTP Ultrafast 2
Topic Author

The conversation was quite an eye opener and frank to be honest. I was on the phone a good 45 minutes talking things through.

It's extremely obvious that Glass/Stream is as much a hassle for the staff as it is the consumer.

She said they are fire fighting complaints and switching people freely back to Q to eleviate the calls.

Nobody hand on heart can say this product is ready for the masses, it is OK for tech savvy and those who can tinker about.

I get the feeling they don't want the product recommended, at least not yet.

Be prepared for some months yet of upgrades, rollbacks and bugs!

This message was authored by divad2 This message was authored by: divad2

What's the what's on tv app ?

Do you mean Apple TV+ ?

And what's the TV launcher TV guide ?

Topic Author

@divad2 

Not sure what's on, TV Launcher if it's the same one is on Apple TV. Basically it is a TV guide that brings together apps, like stream. If you select a program from the guide it takes you to the relevant app to open the program.

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@Anonymous wrote:

....... the first thing.

Sky acknowledged that the product was released to market too early!

That been widely known in industry circles for some time now. But to be clear, it was a Comcast decision to go to market before it was ready so they could begin to recoup some losses. 

It's quite refreshing to hear it's now coming out honestly to people via Sky.

Topic Author

@d2h 

You are right we all knew it, it has always felt beta to me and it still is to some degree, there are too many variables happening not to be.

I spoke to a friend of mine we worked together in TV manufacturing he is heavily involved in manufactures implementing Freeview etc. To their products. He knows some Sky employees on the tech side. One word "chaotic". 🤔

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous 

WHAT NO PROFILES 🙁

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@Anonymous wrote:

@d2h 

You are right we all knew it, it has always felt beta to me and it still is to some degree, there are too many variables happening not to be.

I spoke to a friend of mine we worked together in TV manufacturing he is heavily involved in manufactures implementing Freeview etc. To their products. He knows some Sky employees on the tech side. One word "chaotic". 🤔

It's very sad to see the negative impact of Comcast's tenure. The voluntary severance windows have been busy, to put it mildly. 

For me, the operation appears very amateur at the moment. Going to the effort of putting news of personalised playlists/profiles into the public domain, only to quietly sweep them under the carpet... it's just not a good look. 

Topic Author

@divad2 was @Anonymous has said TV launcher is a TV channel guide App and is available now on the Apple TV box.  What's on TV is a similar app, and is due to launch soon, I have been beta testing it, much like I've been beta testing Sky Glass since it launched. 🤣

to avoid confusion...

Apple TV is the Apple streaming box

Apple TV+ is the Apple streaming service

(probably as clear as mud)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion