Discussion topic: You say working tax credit not a social tariff but wtc is changing to universal credit which does?

This message was authored by Wendi25 This message was authored by: Wendi25

You say working tax credit not a social tariff but wtc is changing to universal credit which does?

My husband rang to renew our tv and broadband today and was told working tax credit isn't acceptable as a benefit for social tariff.

yet wtc will be replaced by universal credit so wondering if sky know this?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: You say working tax credit not a social tariff but wtc is changing to universal credit which doe

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wendi25 

Until the change is official and Sky accept it then there isnt much you can do. Below is a list of qualifying benefits for the Sky social tariff. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-social-tariff

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: You say working tax credit not a social tariff but wtc is changing to universal credit which doe

@Wendi25  When it does change to UC then you can reapply, for now it's not on Sky's list.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Wendi25 wrote:

yet wtc will be replaced by universal credit so wondering if sky know this?

Probably, yes, but that doesn't change the current situation and the benefits which apply.

The main factor is that the qualifying benefit must be one that UK Government has an online lookup available for ISPs to use.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-social-tariff 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/social-... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Kaz1002 This message was authored by: Kaz1002

@Wendi25 @I've had this argument with them every year. Tax credits are the same as Universal Credit. I'm on tax credits & don't qualify, yet my friend who earns double my wage but is on Universal credit does qualify. It's completely wrong. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Kaz1002 technically tax credits are not the same as Universal Credit as the way they are calculated and paid are different. However as pointed out Sky have agreed a list of benefits with the DWP and Ofcom and unfortunately Tax Credits are not on it. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Kaz1002 This message was authored by: Kaz1002

@Chrisee @It's still made up if the same benefits. People on Universal Credit can earn a lot more than I do & qualify. That's where it's wrong. Low income families should qualify too. How is that helping them if not??

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Kaz1002  I'm afraid complaining to other customer isn't going to change the current situation, the correct answer has been provided, we can't change the criteria that Sky have for the Social Tariff.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kaz1002 

The social tariff scheme is a voluntary one which some ISPs choose to participate in: there's no obligation for them to do so, and apart from Universal Credit they get to decide on their own qualifying criteria.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/social-... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Kaz1002 Tax credits are being phased out and anyone that currently gets them will have to apply for universal credit from memory they are hoping to phase them out completely by the end of this year 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Laing1 wrote:

@Kaz1002 Tax credits are being phased out and anyone that currently gets them will have to apply for universal credit from memory they are hoping to phase them out completely by the end of this year 

@Kaz1002 Here  is a news article that confirms what @Laing1 posted above 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion