Discussion topic: BT sport & Eurosport Merger

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: BT sport & Eurosport Merger

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CardiffMan1992 

I was trying to remember where it was commonly seen, outside the mining and munitions industries anyway ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

As for the reasons for the TNT brand 

For Warner Bros. Discovery, the TNT Sports brand fits into its focus on running a global business. “We are a global content and entertainment business, and we are, through the merger of WarnerMedia and Discovery, thinking about our business globally and what global scale, strength and capability can bring.” Georgiou also mentioned: “We think there is some value in having global consistency around a sports brand that is synonymous with sports, and premium sports in particular.”

But he also highlighted that right now the TNT Sports name is still little known in Britain and Ireland. “Based on the surveys that we have done in this market, this brand has limited awareness. No one in this market actually knows what this brand means,” he explained, but described this as an opportunity. “This is a clean slate. There are people in the industry who might know the heritage of what the letters TNT stand for or what TNT means in the U.S. or Latin America, but the British and Irish consumer has no clue. So for them, this is a clean slate, and having that clean slate for us means being able to make sure we can imbue this brand over time with some of those brand principles that I talked about.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/tnt-sports-bt-sport-warner-bros-discovery-u...

This message was authored by Daveyboy1234 This message was authored by: Daveyboy1234

I wonder what will happen to our subscription of BT Sport if we subscribe directly via sky?

im thinking nothing will change and the subscription will automatically move over from BT to the new TNT name or do you think they will cancel our subscription and we will have to sign up again to new service?

This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

@Daveyboy1234 wrote:

I wonder what will happen to our subscription of BT Sport if we subscribe directly via sky?

im thinking nothing will change and the subscription will automatically move over from BT to the new TNT name or do you think they will cancel our subscription and we will have to sign up again to new service?

I expect no change in terms of the commercial terms as it will be treated as a rebrand of BT.

Suspect the bigger impact will be the possible loss or migration of the Eurosport channels from the normal entertainment bundle (whether they're closed or moved to the TNT bundle).

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@FIL77 wrote:

If and when all this comes together under the same umbrella, do we expect it to be app based or actual channels. ? 

I ask as I am not a Q user and would feel even more short changed from my subs. 

Not having access to the full Paramount+ or Discovery+ is bad enough... 

@FIL77  you don't say who you pay for access to bt sports through sky but if you pay bt direct you can access the full discovery plus app at no additional cost without the need for Q or glass 

I know this for a fact as I have access to the full app whilst paying bt direct and watching via sky +hd box 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

@Plektrum 

Yeah I could see eurosport channels moving for sure.

This message was authored by FIL77 This message was authored by: FIL77

I don't actually pay for BT has I have know interest in their content. Eurosport however, I do watch a lot of. 

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@FIL77 wrote:

I don't actually pay for BT has I have know interest in their content. Eurosport however, I do watch a lot of. 

Based on what WBD have said publically (in the UK and US), their current plan for all content (rights) that was previously on BT Sport and Eurosport is that it will all be amalgamated into the TNT Sports offering.

Skiing in the morning, cycling in the afternoon, Champions League in the evening on the same channel, you get the picture. Less channels overall as there is less need for repeats to fill schedules, all branded TNT Sports.

Pricing, delivery mechanisims, long term partner arrangements all TBA.

In the meantime, Eurosports continues to operate exactly as it does now until after the 2024 Olympics. 

From the Summer of 2023, BT Sport rebrands as TNT Sport as part of the first phase of the change. The BT Sports app will close with the content moving into Discovery+.

This was in an earlier press release and has been confirmed by a BT dev who was working on the BT Sport app on another forum.

So, as you like Eurosport there is no change for you for now, you can reasses when plans are confirmed at a later date and bear in mind they could easily change their minds in the interim.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by Sam-R This message was authored by: Sam-R

Hi all, this is the latest we have:

"TNT Sports will be available on Sky+, Sky Q, Sky Glass, Sky Stream and Sky Go. If you have BT Sport you don't have to do anything, you'll automatically have access to TNT Sports channels when the change happens. Eurosport channels will also re-brand to TNT Sports at a later date. For now, you get access to Eurosport 1 & 2 via discovery+, which comes at no extra cost with Sky TV."

Sam
Community Manager

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@rscott  wrote:

• Disney+ have discovered that keeping content exclusively on their platform isn't bringing the revenue they want, so are starting to license it again.

Bob Iger, chief of disney, had said things about that there was an over reliance on expanding streaming, without it being profitable.

Disney, comcast, Paramount, time Warner all have lost alot of money by thegoal to expand their own streaming services.

It all depends on what the market is like in 2025, if the streaming services by then have figured out how to make it profitable.

Does the guy at top of time Warner discovery streaming want to lose the guaranteed income from the sky deals? 

They'll be working on their opportunity cost analysis to see which they feel they're better off with.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Thank you 

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

@Sam-R That sounds very encouraging. Is this on the sky website?

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@rscott wrote:

@stereohaven wrote:

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@stereohaven 

Then we are assuming in 2 years time Warner Bros and HBO Content will be added as well

Yep, when the current HBO/Sky deal ends, but 2 years is a long time...

Originally there was an expectation that Discovery+ would be rebranded again with HBO Max content added (Discovery Max anyone?), but it now looks like Discovery+ will stay with different subscription levels.

There is a story on the US situation here.

I think it's too early to say what's going to happen to HBO content when the current deal ends:-

• Sky may make such a generous offer that WBD decide to continue the deal
  • a deal is done for non-exclusive content rights (so Sky have it but an app based streaming service is also available here,
  • They come up with a deal similar to Discovery+, where Sky customers get free/cheap access to the app, along with streamed channels.
  • The big option - all the content goes from Sky.

Disney+ have discovered that keeping content exclusively on their platform isn't bringing the revenue they want, so are starting to license it again.

@rscott 

That's a very bold statement when there's been no official confirmation of a) whether the rumour carried any weight and b) how any licensing deal will work and what content would be available and on what terms. 

Your stating it as fact is misleading, unless I've missed something important?

This message was authored by FIL77 This message was authored by: FIL77

"For now, you get access to Eurosport 1 & 2 via discovery+, which comes at no extra cost with Sky TV."

Does this mean it will continue as actual channels or move over to the Discovery+ app that I don't have access too be a sky+HD foxe user  ? 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@d2h wrote

• That's a very bold statement when there's been no official confirmation of a) whether the rumour carried any weight and b) how any licensing deal will work and what content would be available and on what terms

As per Hollywood reporter article

• Iger added that licensing content will also be part of the company’s plan to achieve cost-savings, though he said he’s not sure how big a component it will be. This would be a marked change from the strategy the company began with the launch of Disney+ in 2019, at which time the company began keeping more of its content in-house and largely stopped licensing out programming in order to house that content on its own services. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-content-writedown-1235320727/

Iger is the Head of Disney. He has specifically stated

• The streaming business … is not delivering basically the kind of profitability or bottom line results that the linear business delivered.”
---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion