Discussion topic: SKY fibre setup

This message was authored by ColdButter This message was authored by: ColdButter

SKY fibre setup

Hi Everyone,

I could not find the answer in the forum so I am creating this post. Does anybody know what's this white box on the left side connecting to the ONT? The black cable is the fiber coming from outside. That green cable seems to be passing the fiber signal to the ONT box which is sitting right beside. Why didn't SKY install only the ONT box, what's the purpose of this box on the left? 

I need to move this 'unknown' box 1 cm to the right, I will install a cabinet on the wall to hide all the mess. But I am not too sure if there's electricity running in this box? Not happy with the idea of getting a shock while touching those wires 🙂

Much appreciated if anyone could help clarifying this.

Setup Photo 1.pngSetup Photo 2.png

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: SKY fibre setup

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ColdButter 

I'd say that's an internal Customer Splice Point: something that's more usually located external to the property.  It only contains fibre optic cable, so there's no electricity there at all, but it is inherently delicate.  Was it actually Sky personnel who installed it?  Typically that's an Openreach task, but it's long been rumoured that ISPs were training their own people for the job.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@ColdButter 

I'd say that's an internal Customer Splice Point: something that's more usually located external to the property.  It only contains fibre optic cable, so there's no electricity there at all, but it is inherently delicate.  Was it actually Sky personnel who installed it?  Typically that's an Openreach task, but it's long been rumoured that ISPs were training their own people for the job.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ColdButter 

Incidentally there has to be a CSP somewhere because bulk optical drop cable on a reel is typically four core and unterminated.  After this is pulled as far as the subscription address, it has its external sheathing stripped and one core is fusion spliced to a pigtail fitted with a preterminated optical jack which is compatible with the socket on the ONT: this spliced junction is fairly fragile, so needs to be enclosed.  The arrangement you have there isn't one I've seen before, particularly with the use of an optical coupler and that rather awkward loop of 'spare' cable below the ONT.

ColdButter
Topic Author
This message was authored by ColdButter This message was authored by: ColdButter

@TimmyBGood Thanks for the insights, you're right it wasn't Sky personnel who installed my broadband, I'm based in Ireland, Sky has a few contractors installing broadband here, Sky would install only TV not broadband unfortunately. The customer splice point actually has a cover, I removed to show the contents 🙂 I was a it afraid I would come across some electricity in there cause of  the label in the cover (picture attached) but I assume you're right there's no electricity running so I'll go ahead with moving the box. 🙂 Thanks so much for your prompt help! 

A84C6FD0-0A8D-4014-BFF2-41C45666E699.jpeg

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ColdButter 

No problem. I'd say that's the ISO label for 'Optical Radiation', which isn't really an issue with fibre optic for data transmission unless you choose to stare into a line driver ; )

Should be fine to move the box, just be careful the cables don't kink, as they do have a minimum bend radius before they fracture.

@ColdButter 

Out of interest, do you have one of the FTTP installations where the optical cable has followed the power line to your property and entered at the mains connection / meter housing.  That could be one reason why the CSP is inside the property rather than its more usual position outside.

ColdButter
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood Thanks so much for sharing the ISO documentation, that was very helpful as well. I'll do my best moving the box very carefully and avoid touching the cables. Fingers crossed it will be fine, thanks for the advice it looks very fragile indeed the connection of the fiber black cable. 

ColdButter
Topic Author

Bingo! That's exactly what I have. It's a fiber to the premises setup in my house. The fiber runs from the street into my property following the power line under my driveway, ending in my meter box on the side path.  That's why the CSP has been installed inside of the property right? Thanks so much for helping clarifying this, I'll send a picture, please excuse the messy installation the engineer has provided. 

D70806F8-6821-4056-872C-71271F03B30E.jpeg

@ColdButter wrote:

That's why the CSP has been installed inside of the property right? 

I think so: it's a deployment model for FTTP which is being used in RoI but not in the UK, as a partnership between Vodaphone and the ESB.

I do note that they haven't provided you with the rather neat indoor enclosure shown in their promotional video.

[video]

ColdButter
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood They did a very poor installation indeed, I'll drop a complaint to SKY & SIRO and see how it goes, luckily SKY will send another engineer to get all the mess fixed.

Thanks so much for the fantastic help in this post, I have a miuch better understanding of the technical aspects of FTTP setup. Much appreciated! 🙂

This message was authored by sophia2009 This message was authored by: sophia2009

i have had a messy install with bt.They left two of the old cables dangling outside the house which bangs on the window when the wind blows they left a cable dangling where the new wire comes into the house.the fibre box itself/router we asked if it could be put in the hallway so in the middle of the house the bt engineer said he couldnt as fibre is not very flexible.okay we said being none the wiser.after the install engineer left and said we would not need boosters anymore as its so good.stiil  need the boosters and he put the route on top of a chest freezer.easily moved i thought.sadly no.with no extra cable to play with it sits on a chest freezer or window sill.not ideal.have to move it to access freezer or leave it on window sill in the sun all day.any help would be great

This message was authored by zegers This message was authored by: zegers

@TimmyBGood 

great info on the box and what its for. thank you @TimmyBGood

my problem is that my router is in the study and it conects to the wall less than a meter from there. where  the litle BT box is where the telephone used to conect.

but my conection where it will come in the house is at the front. and yes the study is at the back.

how will this work inside my house. (about 15 m in a straight line from box ouside to router)

will it use my internal phone lines?

will it use my internal cables?

will it need more cables?

or will it be all fine and i worry about nothing. (i like this option)

if you need more info or if anybody has anwsers then let me know.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@zegers 

Assuming you've ordered Ultrafast/FTTP then the entry point for the new fibre cable will likely be at the front of your house nearest the duct/pole. The install will not use any existing phone lines or cables and all your phone sockets will become redundant. 

Every install is different but usually a standard install would be within a few meters of the entry point so what you are describing (15m run from front to back study) would fall under a non-standard install and the engineer may refuse to do it. However you may also get a friendly engineer who is willing to do the extra work for some tea and biscuits. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@jamesn123 wrote:

@zegers 

Assuming you've ordered Ultrafast/FTTP then the entry point for the new fibre cable will likely be at the front of your house nearest the duct/pole.

If it's SIRO (which is where this thread started), the entry point will be the electricity meter box enclosure.

This message was authored by zegers This message was authored by: zegers

Can i still run a cat cable from the new box to my router. Even if its 15 m. I dont mind running a cable myself. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion