Discussion topic: Getting Wi-Fi to summer house

This message was authored by PAUL+LAITY This message was authored by: PAUL+LAITY

Getting Wi-Fi to summer house

Hi.  I am a novice here so hoping for lots of expert guidance!

we have a summer house (small one) in the garden.  Ethernet cable goes from sky Q mini to port in wall of the summer house.  What do I need to get Wi-Fi  out of the port for iPad/ phone/ laptop etc?  

please can you help.  Assuming thee is a simple solution 🙃

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: Getting Wi-Fi to summer house

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PAUL+LAITY Indeed it is, something like this  is what you need.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@PAUL+LAITY 

An Access Point and maybe an unmanaged switch if you need more ethernet ports 🙂

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
PAUL+LAITY
Topic Author
This message was authored by PAUL+LAITY This message was authored by: PAUL+LAITY

Cheers but I have no idea what that is.  A piece of equipment I buy and plug in?

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

@PAUL+LAITY Indeed it is, something like this  is what you need.

PAUL+LAITY
Topic Author

Yay, cheers v much.  Will give that a go. 👍😀

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@PAUL+LAITY 

The AP only has one Ethernet port, so you may want an unmanaged switch  also, best to keep the Q mini connected via Ethernet and the use the AP to broadcast the radio signal. Check places like Amazon for best prices etc.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@PAUL+LAITY if I understand your post correctly the ethernet link to the summer house is connected to the ethernet port on a Q mini box in your house. If that is what you have done that is not the best connection as the speed of the summerhouse link will be limited by the speed wifi connection to that Q mini which is acting as a wifi to ethernet bridge. It would be far better to link the ethernet cable directly to your hub if practical. 

If you has a Q mini in the summer house thst would act as a wifi hotspot if connected to the ethernet feed saving having to buy a wifi access point with the added advantage devices should pick up the signal seamlessly.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@PAUL+LAITY 

You'd be much better off trying to get a Sky booster as it will seemlessly mesh up with the rest of your Q network. Adding a cheap AP is a solution but one I wouldnt recommend in this case.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
PAUL+LAITY
Topic Author

Oh really?  Is that something they will supply if I ask at a cost??

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@PAUL+LAITY 

They provide them free of charge if you subscribe to broadband boost which is £5 per month. You may want to check your bill as you may already have it, often it gets added when you renew.

Alternatively I know they used to sell them at £60 each but not sure if thats still true you'd need to phone. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@PAUL+LAITY technically Sky only provide free boosters in limited circumstances which yours isnt one and they dont sell them. You can buy Sky boosters online pretty easily but you need one that matches your Sky hub - they are the same shape but white rather than black - see https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-booster-setup-what-booster-do-you-have

Ebay have lots normally its a bit naughty as technically the latest models belong to Sky but they seem to connect OK unlike the TV boxes. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion