Discussion topic: WiFi lost connection

This message was authored by Gudero This message was authored by: Gudero

WiFi lost connection

Hello,

I'm new to Sky broadband -coming from BT- and although i'm happy with the wired connection i think wifi signal isn't as strong as BT's, which is a bit disappointing. The router is in the same place as the old BT router, but i don't get fast access and sometimes the signal is poor.

Moreover, a couple of days ago i lost all wifi connection from all my devices. All the lights were green and running. I restarted the router a few times and then i performed a reset with no luck. I couldn't even find the name. I could find some new names which i tried with my old password to no avail. I connected to the online 192.168. 0.1 only to find out that the name of the network and the password have changed. Tried contacting sky online only to get here and ask the question (BT had an online web chat which was useful as i'm at work and i can't be on the phone).

I don't get it, both network name and passwords are different than the originals and what i have on the router.

Could someone please advise? Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: WiFi lost connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gudero wrote:

I'm new to Sky broadband -coming from BT- and although i'm happy with the wired connection i think wifi signal isn't as strong as BT's, which is a bit disappointing. The router is in the same place as the old BT router, but i don't get fast access and sometimes the signal is poor.

If you've gone from a vertical BT Hub model to a horizontal Sky Q Hub then yes, unfortunately that's quite likely: the Q Hub is a triumph of brand identity over common sense.

I don't get it, both network name and passwords are different than the originals and what i have on the router.

Are you certain that's your Hub and not neighbouring ones?  What's visible locally when it's unpowered?  Do you have Sky Q television?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Gudero
Topic Author

Actually there is another weaker network on the list, which i assumed it's my neighbours'. I will try to turn it off and see if it's visible. Didn't know i could connect to someone else's network via 192.168. 0.1  page.

I don't have Sky Q or anything else, just broadband. If the router is poor by default is it worth looking for another one or? Any other options? Don't really want to go down the wi-fi extender route as it's not that bad, but compared to what we were used to with BT, it's weak. 

Gudero
Topic Author

A bit of an update, i've turned it off and i can still have access to WiFi so i'm guessing i'm connected to some neighbour's?

It doesn't make sense, how can i connect to their device from my computer and see everything?

In any case, my WiFi is not working for some reason, so i need to phone them up tomorrow and see what's happening, i guess...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion