Discussion topic: Recording Programmes with Sky Stream

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Recording Programmes with Sky Stream

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Just one instance of Netflix and Amazon Prime would be a lot?

Presumably in this hypothetical scenario Sky would only be hosting a single copy of each item of content which had originally been 'broadcast' (i.e. distributed in a timeslot on a numbered channel in the Glass/Stream EPG)

Netflix, Prime, Disney etc aren't broadcasting and there would be no need for Sky to retain their content: that's always available to anyone subscribing to one of those services.

Doesn't matter anyway: it's not going to happen.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

I am referring to Streaming Services .... Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc... there is too much content!

Hence the need for accounts for each service?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Catch-up on SkyQ for FTA broadcasters is in the process of being replaced by services like ITVX and Channel4 and my5!

The broadcaster have the desire to take back control of their content.

BritBox was an attempt to have a multi-FTA Broadcaster Streaming Service but that collapsed back into ITVX.

Exiled in HH

The biggest bonus of the requirement to have multiple accounts is absolute flexibility ... you choose what is active and not Sky!

Exiled in HH
RJCSkyQ
Topic Author
This message was authored by RJCSkyQ This message was authored by: RJCSkyQ

Wouldn't that require all Sky Q boxes to be connected to the internet? That's not something Sky currently mandate so surely they can't force the move to streaming apps on Sky Q?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RJCSkyQ 

All apps on Q do stream, and always have.  No on-demand content ever arrives over the dish: there's just not a mechanism for that to happen.

RJCSkyQ
Topic Author

Not sure what you mean by that? If I want to watch an ITV programme on catch up, I now must have an ITV X account. I didn't previously. So I'm being forced into something I didn't really want. I don't see where the flexibility is in that.

@RJCSkyQ 

That's a decision for any of the channel owners who also have an app: they can deliver on-demand into their own app (which they prefer, as it's 'their' environment) or into Q over what looks like a Sky interface but isn't really.

RJCSkyQ
Topic Author

I mean when you catch up without an app. I can find an old programme on BBC1 say via the Sky Q TV guide and download it to the box, without going via iPlayer. Does that require an internet connection? (Genuine question, I've never tried it without one and never really thought about the route it's going.)

@RJCSkyQ wrote:

Does that require an internet connection?

Yes: there's never been a way to deliver on-demand over the satellite link because that would be incredibly expensive (charged per bit) and the orbiting platforms just don't have the capacity to carry the data volume required.

RJCSkyQ
Topic Author

Genuine question then after the last few comments...

If the broadcasters are essentially pushing us towards their platforms, as opposed to delivering their content via the Sky interface, and if Sky Q really is moving towards apps for catch up as one person suggested, is it likely that the whole record/catch-up facility on Sky Q will eventually take on a similar form to Sky Stream? 

I have to admit I'm not a fan of Sky Stream so far but if that's the way Sky Q is potentially heading as well, then it reduces the appetite to move back.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@RJCSkyQ wrote:

Genuine question then after the last few comments...

If the broadcasters are essentially pushing us towards their platforms, as opposed to delivering their content via the Sky interface, and if Sky Q really is moving towards apps for catch up as one person suggested, is it likely that the whole record/catch-up facility on Sky Q will eventually take on a similar form to Sky Stream? 

I have to admit I'm not a fan of Sky Stream so far but if that's the way Sky Q is potentially heading as well, then it reduces the appetite to move back.

Sky Q will eventually just be pulled from sale and will become obsolete, along with the satellites in orbit which provide the service. 

Recording in the traditional sense will become less and less common. Next year, when the Freely service launches, more and more people will, I suspect, become more used to streaming and the ability to catch up via an app rather than via a recording on a hard drive. It's a shame in many ways, but that's just how it will be. Only the current BT TV Pro box can actually record streams of live channels (and bizarrely NOW streams) onto its hard drive and it's quite unique in that respect. 

Freely will provide (more or less) the current Freeview Play service entirely via broadband on a smart TV without need for an aerial - so an EPG, watchlists and links to streaming apps for catch-up content. Effectively Sky Stream without the Sky channels or the subscription cost. 

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/bbc-itv-c4-and-c5-announce-freely-streaming-tv-service/ 

One can only hope that the UK's streaming apps will improve alongside this switch. I'd like to see 5.1 and Atmos available from iPlayer, ITVX and Channel 4 for starters, to at least bring the quality up to the same as the broadcast stream. 

@RJCSkyQ wrote:

is it likely that the whole record/catch-up facility on Sky Q will eventually take on a similar form to Sky Stream? 

Presumably Q will always have its (main box) hard drive for actual 'recording' of broadcast content.

RJCSkyQ
Topic Author

Thanks @SlenderRobert.

Sure, it's inevitable that broadcasting as we know it will change (and perhaps not for the better immediately) but I think the complete withdrawal of satellite transmission is some years away. However, if Sky make the decision to switch to a streaming only service for all their platforms, then this is something they could introduce as soon as they wanted. I guess the one limitation is that it may require some updates to the Sky Q platform and I imagine they stopped investing in that some time ago.

RJCSkyQ
Topic Author

True @TimmyBGood  but that doesn't mean Sky will always provide the capability to utilise it!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion