Discussion topic: Broadband Upgrade Issue

This message was authored by cleavonsky This message was authored by: cleavonsky

Broadband Upgrade Issue

As my broadband contract was coming to an end (Superfast using FTTC) then I yesterday agreed to upgrade to Ultrafast broadband with FTTP. We agreed an provisional installation date for BT Openreach to insall the new fibre cable next month but when I call back today to try and change the date for the installation Sky told me that it wasn't actually necessary and everything was in place to receive Ultrafast broadband without this work so they would just be sending me a new router. As we do not have a fibre cable coming into the property I'm concerned that we won't actually be getting the technology we signed up for. Any thoughts / advice? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: Broadband Upgrade Issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@cleavonsky  They will install the fibre from the Customer service point on the outside of the property and into your home to connect the ONT. This is what is used to connect to your router. A picture of what this looks like is below.

IMG_20220526_141452.jpg

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

cleavonsky
Topic Author
This message was authored by cleavonsky This message was authored by: cleavonsky

...I've also now just received a text saying that a Sky engineer will need to vist for the install - further confusing matters.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@cleavonsky  There is outside work that is done first. Then the inside work is done after this connecting the FTTP within the property. Is the install cables overheard from a pole or underground?

Could you fill out the link below and post a screenshot hiding the private information in the top-left corner.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

@cleavonsky  They will install the fibre from the Customer service point on the outside of the property and into your home to connect the ONT. This is what is used to connect to your router. A picture of what this looks like is below.

IMG_20220526_141452.jpg

cleavonsky
Topic Author

Thanks for that. I'm just confused as to why they would tell me we would no longer be visited by BT Openreach when I was expecting work as you have described to be necessary.

Currently the broadband comes in via an overhead cable from a telegraph pole.

Will post a screenshot as requested shortly.

cleavonsky
Topic Author

cleavonsky_2-1677581883225.png

Sorry - not sure if this is in any way readable!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@cleavonsky 

Your results state you will be using an 'OH Feed' (Overhead) so the cable will from from the pole to your home. It also states no anticipated issues so should be a straight forward install. Openreach will be required to attend before your install date to pull the cable from the pole and route it into your home. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
cleavonsky
Topic Author

Thanks guys. I think I'll need to give Sky a call again. Maybe I totally missed the point of what they were saying but it makes no sense for them to be telling me that BT Openreach will no longer need to carry out any work.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@cleavonskyThe first part of the install is done outside and the property owener does not need to be at home, as normally the CSP is put close to the entery point of where the old line comes in for your service just now.

It should be just a drop down from that entry point from the pole as indicated by @jamesn123 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cleavonsky 

Chances are it's Openreach to carry out stage one (pole to CSP) and then a fibre-trained Sky installer to do stage two (CSP to ONT).  This usually involves drilling a new optical pigtail entry hole.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@jamesn123 wrote:

@cleavonsky 

Your results state you will be using an 'OH Feed' (Overhead) so the cable will from from the pole to your home. It also states no anticipated issues so should be a straight forward install. Openreach will be required to attend before your install date to pull the cable from the pole and route it into your home. 

The "KCI2 assure" means Openreach have commited to do stage 1 of the install before the actual install date. It should (but doesn't always) change to KCI3 after the OH fibre and CSP install have been done.

Topic Author

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone. I think everything is in order but the sequence of events and planned timings has just not been explained very clearly by Sky (and has changed from what they originally told me). I'll double check via the call centre.

cleavonsky
Topic Author

Thanks all. In short I've spoken to Sky again and it is all going to happen as you have described. The confusion arose as the person I spoke to implied that BT Openreach didn't need to get involved when what they were trying to say was that I didn't need to be in for that part so didn't need to be concerned about the date (as long as it is done before the Sky engineer completes the set up).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion