Discussion topic: Connecting old dvd play to sky glass

This message was authored by Geordie+Gal This message was authored by: Geordie+Gal

Connecting old dvd play to sky glass

I'm trying to connect my Philips DVD player to Sky Glass using an AV2HDMI up scaler 1080P. Power is to come from TV. Will it be 720P or 1080P? Also, where do I connect the lead? Looks like normal USB lead.

Best Answers
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert Answer

Re: Connecting old dvd play to sky glass

@Geordie+Gal wrote:

I'm trying to connect my Philips DVD player to Sky Glass using an AV2HDMI up scaler 1080P. Power is to come from TV. Will it be 720P or 1080P? Also, where do I connect the lead? Looks like normal USB lead.

Glass has no useable USB socket. There is a USB-C socket but this is reserved for use by the ever elusive 'Smart Camera' which has been promised for a very long time but has never materialised. 

I would suggest you may need to buy a new DVD Player, or better still, a more modern Blu-Ray player with HDMI output. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert Answer

@Geordie+Gal wrote:

Glass has no useable USB socket. There is a USB-C socket but this is reserved for use by the ever elusive 'Smart Camera' which has been promised for a very long time but has never materialised. 

I would suggest you may need to buy a new DVD Player, or better still, a more modern Blu-Ray player with HDMI output. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Geordie+Gal wrote:

I'm trying to connect my Philips DVD player to Sky Glass using an AV2HDMI up scaler 1080P.

The HDMI lead would go to Glass HDMI #3 which has a compatibility mode for older optical hardware (activated in Settings).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Geordie+Gal
Topic Author
This message was authored by Geordie+Gal This message was authored by: Geordie+Gal

Hi, thanks for information.

I tried this, but only got black and white, no sound. tried with scart too - no. May go with previous responders recommendations and buy a new unit.

Geordie+Gal
Topic Author

Spoiler

Tried lots of suggestions, nothing really works properly. hdmi3 only gave me black and white and no sound, even tried scart to sky+ HD box and plugged that into hdmi1. I have given up. I think the best solution will be to get a new DVD player - but will definitely research first. I had also bought usb cables in order to attach pc to tv - no usb on tv, only the mini usb for the camera.

Thanks for you assistance.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion