Discussion topic: Sky/Openreach cancelled twice

This message was authored by BallyB This message was authored by: BallyB

Sky/Openreach cancelled twice

Hi I am a new sky customer. I am in the process of moving into my new house we have built for the family. 

we recently checked who we was able to get out broadband with, and sky was one of the options ( virgin media not in the area ).

I placed order and explained to sales rep that it's a new build and possibly no cables will be there which I believe was sky from the previous owner of the property ( before we started construction on the property ) .

sales rep said that that was fine as long as the main exchange is running up to the property it would be fine for engineers to install.

placed order - a few hours later. ORDER CANCELLED.

so I rang next day and was told openreach has cancelled the order. For 21st November 

so we attempted to place the order again - order placed now for the 23rd November.

A few hours later - Order cancelled 

I then received a text saying I will be contacted by sky but nobody has contacted me.

it is getting extremely frustrating as I am currently due for my second child and we are left in limbo with no internet. 

if someone from sky can help I would really appreciate it. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky/Openreach cancelled twice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BallyB the issue will be Openreach not accepting the order which could be for a number of reasons. Enter the full address of your new property into this checker to see what if any results you get DSL Checker

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BallyB wrote:

I placed order and explained to sales rep that it's a new build and possibly no cables will be there which I believe was sky from the previous owner of the property ( before we started construction on the property ) .

sales rep said that that was fine as long as the main exchange is running up to the property it would be fine for engineers to install.

Sky, like most ISPs, does not install, own or operate any telecoms cabling: the national telecoms network* is Openreach.

Was/is there any evidence of Openreach cabling/ducting and/or an adjacent pole prior to the build starting?  If so, was this safeguarded during the building process?

Did you (or your contractor/site-manager/architect) register the site with Openreach and seek advice on telecoms infrastructure provisioning, including what standard of ducting you may need to supply?

*Assuming this is UK, but similar arrangements operate in RoI

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BallyB wrote:

I'd add that's probably not something any 'sales rep' should be advising: aside from issues such as the very real potential for Openreach ECCs (they cover a maximum £2,800 of their costs before charging the property owner) ' the main exchange is running up to the property ' is not appropriate terminology for any current broadband product.

BallyB
Topic Author

IMG_2399.png

@BallyB 

OK: the key bit is this

ONT_3.png

Essentially Openreach thinks there's an existing optical circuit all the way to the inside of the property which has been previously active.  If that's not the case (because, for example, that building doesn't exist any more) then unfortunately things are going to get complicated.

@BallyB 

Also note 'UG partial Direct In Ground' which indicates the (previous) property was supplied by an underground optical cable not contained within a duct: any such provision could well have been mangled during the build if it wasn't identified and protected.

BallyB
Topic Author

Hi Timmy from what I know from the builders who done work on my house the duct under my drive was untouched. 

it is only from where the duct meets the house is where they cut it. 

40405104-824d-4c0d-aa56-ef91abb166a7.jpeg

e0887240-b24c-49dd-92b9-c004363a375c.jpeg

  

@BallyB 

That's at least a bit hopeful: it looks like a standard Openreach grey plastic duct and that certainly could be a severed optical cable.

However if the 'partial Direct In Ground' is further away from the property then having it cut like that is a real problem because the severed length cannot be used to pull through another run of fibre, and it's way too short as it is to fusion-splice: you'd really want such a cut made inside the property and then pulled back if it has to be done at all.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion