Discussion topic: Slow broadband but Sky won't help

This message was authored by daves61 This message was authored by: daves61

Slow broadband but Sky won't help

nd but Sky won't helpa

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Re: Slow broadband but Sky won't help

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@daves61 No-one here will be able to help either without more information.

How are you testing the speed, is it via wireless or wired connection?

Have you used the diagnostic test to see if there is a line issue or fault?

What exactly did Sky say when you contacted them?

Can you post your router statistics so we can see what speeds the router is recieving?

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
daves61
Topic Author

Have very old sky bb with BT landline. best speed we've ever had has been 7mb but recently its been stuck at 5mb down and 850up. Always had occasional crackling on the phone which caused internet to drop when  on phone at same time and sky's dcm system would reduce the speed. I'd then ring them up and they'd reset it to 7mb.  Or I'd unplug the router and plug it in again and the speed would reset to 6mb. Rang them yesterday to ask them to do that again and they insisted that this is not something they can do, nor something they ever would have done! It might be two years since I last asked them but they definitely used to do it. What is going on? How can I get them to put my speed back up (which they said is not down to them)? Thanks

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@daves61 

Can you post your hub stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Also enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
daves61
Topic Author

daves61_0-1663678149369.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@daves61 

The second link will show us what openreach say you should get and also any chances of upgrading

Your stats show a raised noise margin and that you are below the Universal Service Obligation of 10 Mbps

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

daves61
Topic Author

daves61_0-1663679230631.png

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@daves61 wrote:

Have very old sky bb with BT landline. best speed we've ever had has been 7mb but recently its been stuck at 5mb down and 850up.

Those are (pretty bad) ADSL speeds: your BT Wholesale figures show you have both FTTC and FTTP available, so your best option is to switch to a modern broadband product.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@daves61 

You should be able to get 40 or 80 Mbps via fttp or 150, 500 or gigabit ultrafast so long as sky have their network equipment at the exchange

daves61
Topic Author

Ok but why won't Sky up our speed as they used to?

@daves61 

Probably because adsl essentials is not economically viable to fix and maintain especially now wbc fttp is available . Fttp is 10 times more reliable than sky essentials.

Call sky on 150 from your landline or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone

Or if in Ireland

Call sky ireland on

Remove all the full stops

To enquire about your options

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@daves61 

Probably because ADSL is an end-of-life product, and they anticipate subscribers will be eager to switch to much better FTTC (or ideally FTTP), typically at lower cost than an out-of-contract and effectively obsolete service.

Incidentally it's an Openreach DLM reset which you are used to requesting, not ' sky's dcm system '

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
daves61
Topic Author

Ok thanks DLM it is! But if that is a BT thing, how come Sky were abloe to reset my speed before? Can I reset it? If so would all devices need to have the password reentered?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@daves61 

DLM is Dynamic Line Management, it is a system that runs on your line to 'Dynamically' adjust its profile to keep it stable. Your line speed has been reduced because DLM detected noise, so to stop it dropping the speed is reduced.

In the past ISPs like Sky have been able reset DLM on ADSL lines to save Openreach/BT time on DLM reset requests. However I am not sure if they are able to do it anymore, even if they are its likely they wont want to because as already mentioned by multiple users you are on a End Of Life product, you need to upgrade to fibre.

And no you can't reset it and it would have no affect on your devices. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion