Discussion topic: 3rd party router replacement

This message was authored by Clev48 This message was authored by: Clev48

3rd party router replacement

Hi guys I'm looking to replace the sky router with a 3rd party . I am on fibre gigafast what modem/router is compatible please? I'm not exactly a tech head . 

many thanks 😊 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: 3rd party router replacement

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Clev48 wrote:

Ok thank you so i will still have to use the sky hub they supplied either way or can it just be put straight into the open reach box with Ethernet cable without the sky hub? 

@Clev48 

If you need to retain the use of a landline 'phone, the Sky Hub will still need to be in place.

Should a landline not be required, you can remove the Sky Hub altogether.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Clev48 

If you are on gigafast then the ont is effectively your new modem.

The routers we are having most success with are the asus rt ax series either as direct replacement to the sky router (you will lose internet calls) or in access point etherneted to the sky hub

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Clev48
Topic Author

Ok thank you so i will still have to use the sky hub they supplied either way or can it just be put straight into the open reach box with Ethernet cable without the sky hub? 

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

@Clev48 wrote:

@Clev48 

If you need to retain the use of a landline 'phone, the Sky Hub will still need to be in place.

Should a landline not be required, you can remove the Sky Hub altogether.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Clev48
Topic Author

Brilliant stuff I don't use the sky talk just my mobile . Ok thank you very much for your help it's much appreciated buddy. 

This message was authored by Bunters This message was authored by: Bunters

Is it not possible to replace the Sky Router with one that also hasVOIP?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Bunters 

No, Sky VOIP is built directly into the Sky hubs firmware and there is no known way to get it working with 3rd party routers. If you want to retain the use of your landline then you will have to keep the Sky hub in place. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Bunters This message was authored by: Bunters

Many thanks for that Jamesn123 it certainly clarifies my understanding.

This message was authored by Subscriber9817234 This message was authored by: Subscriber9817234

Hi,

Thanks for all the information above, it's hugely helpful. I have Sky's FTTP service and I'd like to use a 3rd Party router to improve WiFi and general performance - but I use Sky's VOIP phone service ('Internet Calls') so need to keep my Sky Hub solely for that.

I know I could run a 3rd party router connected to the Sky Hub, either in a double-NAT arrangement or with the 3rd party router in AP mode. But does anyone know if I could reverse the positions of the 3rd party router and Sky Hub, so the 3rd party router is directly connected to the ONT?

eg

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 15.23.07.png

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Subscriber9817234 

No the Sky hub has to be connected to the ONT for Voice to work

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Subscriber9817234 from what we know Sky hub wont connect in the set up you have drawn it has to beconnected directly to the ONT. A double NAT set up with the third party router connecting to the Sky hub definitely works and should not present issues to most apps. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Subscriber9817234 This message was authored by: Subscriber9817234

Understood, thank you!

Understood, many thanks!

This message was authored by Ibrar1 This message was authored by: Ibrar1

can i connect new router to ont then connect existing sky hub to the router for landline calls to work. I would like better coverage with new router but also sky calls how can i do this ?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Ibrar1 no the Sky hub needs a direct connection to the line for the voice line to work. You can connect a  second router or better a wifi access point behind the Sky hub if you want. I use a set up like that myself. My Sky hub has its wifi disabled and I have a Deco M4 set up running in access point mode providing wifi. I could run it in router mode but that creates a set up eith double Network Address Translation which adds complexity and some apps would n't work.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion