Discussion topic: Adverts on a subscription service!?

This message was authored by Tsariah This message was authored by: Tsariah

Adverts on a subscription service!?

@ Sky Could yoy please tell me why i am forced to watch adds on every one of your sky channels, As I am currently paying upwards of £70 a month in subscription fees for your service where netflix, prime, disney + and even shudder and smaller subscription based services have zero adds on them. Please give a valid reason or I may consider any future payments to yourselves. 
Regards.

All Replies

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tsariah

Because it keeps your subscription price down and also helps to pay for the Sky-funded content you take for granted. If it wasn't supplemented by ads, you'd be paying a hell of a lot more.

Valid enough? By the way, Sky is optional so you can cancel if you like. Withholding payments will simply put you in breach of contract and impact your credit rating.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Tsariah  The valid reason is because they can. I record everything I watch and FF through the adverts. You realise how much time is taken up by adverts when you can sometimes watch an hour long programme in under 40 minutes.

Tsariah
Topic Author

Since when is £70 a month keeping the price down? Netflix is £7.99 makes it's own high quality content as well as showing movies and tv shows around the same time as sky would have them. 
What other content am i missing here other than it makes them more money?

@Tsariah

You're the one that agreed to £70 per month. If you're not happy, then either renegotiate or cancel. 

Netflix has upwards of 180 million people paying every month, globally. Multiply that by £8-10, and you'll see why they can afford to charge what they do. Compare that to Sky and there is a massive difference in income. 

It is what it is. That's the economics of the broadcast industry. 

Tsariah
Topic Author

@Rhonny  Sky makes around $4billion A quarter from subscribers and around another $500million in advertisement revenue, I am pretty sure that Sky could cut the adds and still line there pockets with more than enough money.
Regardless having adds on any subscrition service  is just money grabbing  tactics for the sake of it.
And yes I agreed to pay my monthly sub to them for there content not for the forced advertisements, I should be allowed to watch a live show like Game of Thrones or The simpsons without adds. as I paid for the privilage.
Suppose i sdhould be grateful that the movies only have adds between films and that football has them at half time...

This message was authored by Morgan+McDonnell This message was authored by: Morgan+McDonnell

@Tsariah wrote:

@Rhonny  Sky makes around $4billion A quarter from subscribers and around another $500million in advertisement revenue, I am pretty sure that Sky could cut the adds and still line there pockets with more than enough money.
Regardless having adds on any subscrition service  is just money grabbing  tactics for the sake of it.
And yes I agreed to pay my monthly sub to them for there content not for the forced advertisements, I should be allowed to watch a live show like Game of Thrones or The simpsons without adds. as I paid for the privilage.
Suppose i sdhould be grateful that the movies only have adds between films and that football has them at half time...

@Tsariah   They could but they don't and they won't.  That isn't going to change and you have a choice of taking it or leaving it.  Sky were ad based before you joined so it isn't as though you've been caught unawares is it.  Sky make money?  Well well.  As has been said it is what is.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Tsariah 

Perhaps worth noting that Netflix has never made money and is adding debt at billions of dollars a year: it is not remotely financially viable at its current subscription rates, and exists through investment capital and borrowing.  Likewise, Prime Video is essentially a loss-leader for Amazon used to promote their next-day delivery service, and Disney+ replaces existing satellite distribution costs for its parent company. 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@Tsariah

I am pretty sure that Sky could cut the ads and still line there pockets with more than enough money.

Why on earth would they actively decide to make less money? In what world is that good business? Sky was not set up charitably to ensure the public could get access to broadcast services. The whole reason Sky exists is to maximise the return on its rights and assets. You are but a number on a revenue spreadsheet. 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Threads like this do make me despair, you cannot compare Sky to the streaming services as they have a global audience and so can offer lower prices or in Amazons case a global audience and a massive retail offering to support the low price streaming service.

Sky has and always will have adverts, without that adding income a fair bit of the content you subscribed to watch wouldn't be there.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@Tsariah Amazon Prime isn't free from adverts either and neither is Netflix it all depends on what content you are watching.

At the moment I'm watching a programme that consists of many episodes 39 so far and before each episode starts an advert is played so 39 adverts and counting ( Amazon Prime)

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@Tsariah wrote:

@ Sky Could yoy please tell me why i am forced to watch adds on every one of your sky channels, As I am currently paying upwards of £70 a month in subscription fees for your service where netflix, prime, disney + and even shudder and smaller subscription based services have zero adds on them. Please give a valid reason or I may consider any future payments to yourselves. 
Regards.

Juse watch recorded programmes ad use the FWD button. .easy

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@Tsariah wrote:

Regards.

If you record and watch recordings you can FFWD adverts. easy.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by carbamforth This message was authored by: carbamforth

@TimmyBGoodPerhaps worth noting that Netflix has revenues exceeding 25billion dollars and made over $500 million in the 4th quarter of 2020, so no they're not "never made money". Sky chooses to run ads because it's a legacy service that refuses to die, and acts as such.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@carbamforth wrote:

Sky chooses to run ads because it's a legacy service that refuses to die, and acts as such.

Sky has no automatic right to exist, and could go the same way as Kodak.  Personally I'd be surprised if they are still using any satellite reception by the end of this decade: whether they can re-engineer a thirty-year-old business model to streaming-only AND reduce subscription pricing to the (unrealistically) low levels of their competitors remains to be seen: their News and Sports coverage alone is a huge legacy burden to deal with.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion