Discussion topic: Can’t change aspect ratio on sky hd

This message was authored by Mick+wilson This message was authored by: Mick+wilson

Can’t change aspect ratio on sky hd

I am still having problems with my sky hd. I had a new router and since then I can't change the aspect ratio on sky. If I put the Tv into Tv mode you can see the picture change as you choose 16.9 or 4.3 but via sky nothing, we've only had this problem since the new router and I can't get the wife to complain to sky, but it's terrible watching Bullseye and other programs on challenge in letterbox . 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Can’t change aspect ratio on sky hd

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It's not related to your router.

If the black bars are at the sides of the picture, it's how some channels broadcast HD - they fit black bars to the side if a 4:3 picture so thay it fits a 16:9 screen. You can't change that via your Sky box, but your TV's zoom control may make it fit to your liking.

Mick+wilson
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mick+wilson This message was authored by: Mick+wilson

It just seems strange as before I could watch many of the challenge programs full screen or 16.9 but since the new router even when I try to change the aspect ratio nothing changes at all on the picture, however if I put it in Tv mode you can see it change 

Connection to your router only provides your On Demand service. It has no part to play in the way a broadcast picture is displayed. It might be that Challenge has recently changed the way it broadcasts HD programmes.

Have you tried your TV's zoom control? 

Mick+wilson
Topic Author

It only works in Tv mode , like I say nothing from the sky remote alters the picture as far as size goes, you don't see even a flicker when changing the size ratio's . Maybe it's just coincidence the aspect ratio went kaput via sky at the same time we had the new super fast router, but I doubt it. 

@Mick+wilson wrote:

Maybe it's just coincidence the aspect ratio went kaput via sky at the same time we had the new super fast router, but I doubt it. 

On what basis? Just that it happened around the same time?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Mick+wilson  I'll repeat what has already been said. 

It is not your router, your router has no affect on your TV or it's aspect ratio.   

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Mick+wilson
Topic Author

Yes, that's all I can put it down too. Maybe if I change the router back to the old one it may answer the problem, but I'll have to download the instructions to put the old one back in. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Your router has no effect on the Sky boxes picture output, if you don't believe this the turn off your router and you'll not see any change to your TV

If you watch the SD version of the channel in 16:9 this will fill the screen (by distorting the picture)

Mick+wilson
Topic Author

Why doesn't the picture even try to change now, even a little tiny bit when I have it through the sky box there's just no response?? 

@Mick+wilson wrote:

Why doesn't the picture even try to change now, even a little tiny bit when I have it through the sky box there's just no response?? 

Because the picture being received by your Sky box already fits the screen. The black bars down each side pad out the 4:3 picture to make it fit a 16:9 screen. Your tv sees it, therefore, as a full size picture. Not all TVs allow you to alter what is already a full-size picture.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Mick+wilson Does anything happen if (on your Sky remote) you press TV followed by the Play button? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
Mick+wilson
Topic Author

No nothing, I'm beginning to think that the problem is somewhere else, just strange to me why the change of height or width works on Tv but not on sky. 

Some TVs don't allow you to change the aspect ratio when you're connected via HDMI to another device. I don't think my previous Toshiba did, as an example,

Mick+wilson
Topic Author

Right ! It's probably just me but I'm sure when I watched the early morning programs on challenge I didn't have this trouble 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion