Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Hub - Issues?!

This message was authored by Sky-2022 This message was authored by: Sky-2022

Sky Broadband Hub - Issues?!

Hi, Sky Community. 

Would be great if I could get some advice and guidance regarding the question that I have been having trouble answering. My speeds have been close to Minimum (51 Mbps) and they haven't been the same as they did back in Q1 of 2022 which was around 70 Mbps. 

Additionally, due to the current Extreme Heatwave (18/07/2022-19/07/2022) and warning in the Manchester region I have now heard this morning some strange noises coming from the Broadband Router even though the house windows and fans are circulating?

I have attached a screenshot to show where and the information that should appear after approval.

Thank you!

Screenshot (903).png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky Q UHD 1TB (on ethernet) & Sky Superfast - SR203 router (59mbps downstream, 16mbps upstream - average)
If my reply is correct/up-to-standard mark it as answered.
If I get it incorrect, educate me - I am open to learning from others as we are one community.
If I say something you find informative and helpful give me a thumbs up.
I am trying to level my way through progressively 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky Broadband Hub - Issues?!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sky-2022 sounds like the fan in the hub is running as temps are very high. If it is the hub is the flat variety with a built-in power supply (ER110) these do get pretty warm even in cool weather but it should always be cool enough to keep your hand on it approx 50 degrees. Keep an eye/ear on it but it should be fine.

Your stats look OK  for the attenuation which is related to line length. The speed drop is probably due to crosstalk as more connections have been sold and unfortunately the cabinet serving your line cannot use a technique to lower the noise margin to compensate. It is pure luck which manufacturer of cabinet Openreach used.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Chrisee 

Does the Hub have a fan in it? I wasnt aware of that?

Also I'd say that speed is low for the attenuation. You'd expect more like 60-70mbps.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@jamesn123 Imthink the er110 msy have but no way of checking - nothing else mechanical to make a noise in a router.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Chrisee 

My thought was it could be the ticking noise that has been reported previously.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion