Discussion topic: How to fix Skys non-sense Broadband issues guide

This message was authored by JIG-R This message was authored by: JIG-R

How to fix Skys non-sense Broadband issues guide

There is a problem with their DNS servers, which basically means that Sky isn't able to reach/find the 'address' of other websites and services.

To solve this issue you can change your DNS to a public DNS which is provided by Google, or CloudFlare etc.

Sky might not like this, but it is beneficial to switch to a public provider. You should notice improved broadband speeds too.  

Here is the guide for:

Windows

DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Windows 10

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:

• To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click the Ethernet interface and select Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click the Wi-Fi interface and select Properties.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties.

5. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.

6. Click OK.

7. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.

8. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:

• For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  9. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Test your new settings.

10. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.

Here is the guide for:

macOS

DNS settings are specified in the Network window.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on macOS 10.15

1. Click Apple menu > System Preferences > Network.
  2. If the lock icon in the lower left-hand corner of the window is locked, click the icon to make changes, and when prompted to authenticate, enter your password.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for a Wi-Fi connection, select Wi-Fi, and click Advanced.
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, select Built-In Ethernet, and click Advanced.
  4. Select the DNS tab.
  5. Click + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the Google IP addresses at the top of the list:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  6. Click OK > Apply.
  7. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Test your new settings.
  8. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.

All Replies

This message was authored by RononDex This message was authored by: RononDex

Re: How to fix Skys non-sense Broadband issues guide

My Asus Router has given up the ghost and i have had to revert to using the Sky HUB and ever since i have noticed intermittant DNS issues, which has been made worse by the fact i cannot manually set the DNS at the router level.

This message was authored by RuthD This message was authored by: RuthD

Thank you! Fixed.... I'd figured out my flakey wifi could be a DNS issue, but having not used that bit of my brain since 1997 I needed another nudge! 🙂

Do you know how long the Sky DNS issues have been going on? Wondering what else this explains.

This message was authored by ImissVirginMedia This message was authored by: ImissVirginMedia

Applied and works great - thank you for the time to create the post!!

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ The oracles, reckon we can pin this post to assist people? 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by deltaxray This message was authored by: deltaxray

Came here to post this and say setting to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 works fine. Only downside being having to do it per device as can't do it on the router.

come on Sky, it's about time you allowed us to set custom dns servers centrally on the router to avoid nonsense like this!! 

This message was authored by 911kc This message was authored by: 911kc

also remember you can do the same for your IOS devices that are wifi connected.

settings -> wifi -> click on wifi name, scroll down to DNS and add 8.8.8.8 and remove the other two

Why are certain replies here getting deleted? Mods care to chime in? 

seems replies mentioning sky should stop blocking us setting third party dns servers at the router level are here for a brief few minutes then deleted

This message was authored by Marcowyz This message was authored by: Marcowyz

How can you fix it for the tv?

You can go to the network settings on your tv and set dns to 8.8.8.8

This message was authored by Pitssnidfer This message was authored by: Pitssnidfer

That's great and it worked. What about on PS4 can you change the DNS setting also to get a better performance? 
Pete

To be honest I'd just set the dns on all my devices to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 since sky have proved useless at running their own dns servers.

if sky's router wasn't so rinky dink useless I'd set it on the router so everything used those dns by default but shamefully they don't allow it. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@deltaxray wrote:

if sky's router wasn't so rinky dink useless I'd set it on the router so everything used those dns by default but shamefully they don't allow it. 

That's typically because DNS is used (or may end up being used) by the ISPs as part of their government mandated web content filtering systems and potential future control mechanisms:  BT Hubs are the same in this respect and will not accept third party DNS server addresses.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by RononDex This message was authored by: RononDex

It's probably worth pointing out that when I tried to manually set the DNS on my TV, Netflix refused to load anything past 25% at the initial buffering stage 

This message was authored by Pitssnidfer This message was authored by: Pitssnidfer

Many thanks 🙏 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion