Discussion topic: FTTP Advice

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Re: FTTP Advice

Why do you need the third-party router? Is it simply for decent wifi or what?

I mean I have a £400 Mikrotik router capable of 8Gbps routing and a £300 TP-Link access point (4x4 ax) along with a couple of £200+ 10Gbps switches but I have specific reasons for requiring them.

If the third-party router is simply there for decent wifi then there are undoubtably better solutions.

TrebleTA
Topic Author
This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

It's there as the default devices can not handle what I'm doing, have 4 devices plugged in ports 1 switch, then 32 wifi devices

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.

You simply need a decent AP then.

I have a TP-Link EA660-HD which when mounted at the top of the stairwell will cover the whole of the 4-bed detached house with 5GHz (C100, so you get 30dBm instead of 23 on C32-64) and will cover outside to the bottom of the garden (30m away) with 100Mbps downstream speeds to clients.

Doesn't even break sweat (15% cpu) with 40 clients associated and active. Airtime fairness, band steering etc all there. No need to use their "Omada" management tool if you don't want to either.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

Would use as a AP, but the device I have has advance features, all the stuff sky charge for and more, like parental controls, plus I can point the sky q box to skys dns and other stuff is over DNS over TLS, also 40mhz 2.5ghz and 160mhz 5ghz, will lose some of the features tho as that's part of the DSL.

Read it maybe better to cancel the phone, then get that else were to get a different VOIP, Easyer for 3ed party devices, anyone know more?

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.

I've used sipgate.co.uk before and they were fine but there's loads of VoIP providers now so you'd have to check yourself as to costs.

Assuming you have a recent(ish) Android or iPhone device you can just download one of the "softphone" apps so you don't actually need a VoIP phone/adapter but there's plenty of them available too.

Edit - you don't have an option to "cancel the phone" with Sky, the basic phone service is bundled into the broadband cost on FTTP.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

Well thanks for the help will worrie more once all set up. Thanks again 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion