Discussion topic: Netflix

This message was authored by Kleer1991 This message was authored by: Kleer1991

Netflix

20231231_005318.jpg

Hi

Can someone PLEASE help me before I go bald and insane! I don't know which will come first at this rate 🤯😫

So, this is going to be a long 🍑 explanation because I need to cover everything that's already been tried, to save people wasting their time commenting stuff for me to reply 'already tried, not worked'.

I called Sky and got Netflix added to my package on 23rd Dec 2023, which is the Ultimate package. It was just Netflix standard with ads.

They said everything should be good to go and just to follow the on-screen instructions when opening Netflix on the TV. When I opened it my options were 'Sign in' or 'Join now'. If I click sign in, it takes me to a page to input my email address and password then when I hit next it comes up with a box that says 'Add Netflix to your Sky package' then the only option is to hit continue. After I've done that, it takes me to a page where it displays the following:

Using someone else's Netflix on your Sky account?

Because you already have Netflix with Sky, speak to the owner of the Netflix account if you can and ask them to contact Netflix to unlink their Netflix account from your Sky bill.

When they've done this, open Netflix on Sky Q and follow the on-screen instructions for setting up or linking your own Netflix account.

Can't speak to the Netflix account holder? Get in touch with us and we'll unlink it for you. This can take up to three days - we'll let you know when it's done.

For more information, visit sky.com/sharing

It doesn't give me any options to select on this page, the only option is to back out of the whole thing.

The same thing happens if I select 'Join now', but that doesn't ask me to input my log-in details, it just takes me straight to the box where it asks about adding Netflix to my Sky package and the only option is to hit continue, then it takes me to that message I've wrote out above.

The thing is, it's contradicting itself... because why would it say 'Add Netflix to your Sky package' then take me to a message that includes the following.. 'Because you already have Netflix with Sky?' 🤔

Now I used to be signed into a family members Netflix account but since Netflix brought in the new rules about not being able to share log-in details if you live in seperate households, I had to sign out of theirs via the Netflix app on my TV and I also logged into their Netflix account online and signed my TV out via the devices that are shown as using those log-in details and removed my TV as a device.

Now this person's Netflix account was never attached to my Sky bill, I only used their log-in details as they have Netflix through their own Sky package so there was never any link to my Sky.

Before Sky added Netflix to my TV package, I'd never had a Netflix account with Netflix, Sky or at all and I was getting the above message both before and after creating Netflix log-in details. I only created them because a Sky advisor asked me to do so, to see if it would resolve the issue. So they told me to go onto the Netflix website and put in my email address and create a password (username being the only email address I have and what Sky have) however I couldn't go any further because it asks me to choose a plan to pay for Netflix directly, which obviously I don't want to do because I've just added it through Sky for less and I don't want to end up paying 2 places for the same thing.

So after I'd created log-in details, I was still getting the same error message. I've spent around 4 hours on the phone to Sky's tech team trying to get this issue resolved and they were at a loss with it. They spoke with their management and they didn't know either. They talked me through the steps to refresh the apps and reset the whole Sky box, unplug the lot including the viewing card and I even tried to log-in on my upstairs TV and had the same issue.

I'm just baffled that Sky don't know what to do and don't have a resolution for this issue yet as there will be a lot of people who've been using other people's Netflix log-in details but have now added Netflix to their own Sky package and potentially facing this same issue.. that's if it is only happening to those people who've been signed in to someone else's Netflix prior...?

Sky have unlinked and relinked the package and nothing changed. They even got me to reset my Netflix password for an account I'd just created moments ago, that they asked me to create!

I've spoken to Netflix and they've said that they can't see a Netflix-Sky package under my email address or my details so as far as they can see, there isn't one linked. They also said the fact I don't see 'Get started' on Netflix home page, is another thing that proves I don't have Netflix linked to my Sky package, yet I thought it only says 'Get started' when it's your first time logging into Netflix, not when you've already been logged in before?

Anyway, I only have 1 email address and that's what I use for everything so Sky and Netflix would have the same email address and personal details as each other. Sky have confirmed it's definitely been applied and I even checked my package via My Sky on the TV and the Sky app and it says the Ultimate package has been added and is 'active' and in contract for 18 months.

Netflix said they don't have a solution to this problem and just sent me back to Sky each time, to the point I said I ain't going back and forward anymore! Then they said all they can advise it to cancel it with Sky and pay for it through them, which is obviously a tad dearer and not something I should have to do!

Sky and Netflix are saying that I should've received an activation email with a link to follow for Netflix setup, but I've never received this. I've checked spam/junk folders, went through every email and there's nothing at all like that. Some Sky advisors seem to think that you get an activation email and others have never heard of it. I'm getting other Sky emails and emails from elsewhere though 🤔

I even spoke to an 'IT expert' in Sky's tech team and he was frustrated because he thought it would be easy to solve and has no idea what to do to get it to work!

I'm slowly losing my mind over this because it seems IMPOSSIBLE to resolve! I haven't been able to use a service I'm paying for since I added it to my package nearly a week ago!

Can someone help me please? I think I've covered all angles of what I've been advised to try already, I just hope someone sees this and knows of a solution or at least other things to try 🙏

P.S. Please don't lecture me about sharing Netflix log-in details, I'm sure half the world did and that's not exactly going to help me resolve the issue lol. Sorry but I had to put that out there as I've already seen people replying with sarcastic comments about sharing log-ins✌️

Thanks in advance! 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Netflix

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kleer1991 wrote:

Now this person's Netflix account was never attached to my Sky bill, I only used their log-in details as they have Netflix through their own Sky package so there was never any link to my Sky.

It's a guess, but I suspect that's the crucial detail: using Netflix credentials associated with another Sky account is likely to be different to signing in with those associated with a direct Netflix-billed subscription, and has probably done something interesting to the back-end systems at both Sky and Netflix.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by martin09061980 This message was authored by: martin09061980

Are you on sky glass or sky stream or sky q ,  I believe there is a know issue with netflix on sky glass and stream preventing sign ups for some people that is currently under investigation and on one of there faults page, I have been advised there is no timescale for a fix at present as it's still being looked into, sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted but I don't think you can do anything to resolve it at present.

This message was authored by Charlotte_S_91 This message was authored by: Charlotte_S_91

Hello, no fix but the EXACT same issue.

A hour last night on the phone and d no fix (16.01.24)

Is yours working now? 

Kleer1991
Topic Author

That sounds like it would make sense!..

I've told them what you advised but they're too baffled on the issue to even comment 😄 but the issue is still not resolved! 😩

Kleer1991
Topic Author

I'm on Sky Q. They did say there were 3 main issues regarding Netflix/Sky buy that this wasn't one of them and appears to be a rare issue..? So because they can't do anything I just get sent over to Netflix and they bounce me back to Sky 😤 this is what happens every time I call.

Kleer1991
Topic Author

Hi, omg finally someone else with the same issue!! Still no fix and it's been since 23rd December! Sky do all their usual troubleshooting then pass me off to Netflix and they do all theirs then when nothing works they bounce me back to the other department 😤

Sky even got me to sign up to Netflix direct as something else they wanted to try and it didn't do anything apart from start me up a subscription with Netflix direct, costing me £4.99 through Netflix as well as the £4 through Sky! So now they've got me running 2 subscriptions at once!!

It's nearly been a month and I've spent an ungodly amount of hours on the phone so I think it's time to get the Ombudsman involved because evey time I say I want to make a complaint they don't take me seriously and say they'll try and help and I end up doing the same troubleshooting steps in my sleep the amount of times they've had me doing them, then I'm no further forward 😫

Sky even said, this is apparently a rare issue and not one of the current 3 they are working on a fix for, but that doesn't help this situation?

I pray 🙏 you get better luck than I did and if you get a resolution, please let me know!! 😃

This message was authored by Charlotte_S_91 This message was authored by: Charlotte_S_91

We signed up Monday, sent Tuesday and Wednesday night on the phone and noone could fix it. Staff, supervisors or managers so I called the cancellation department this morning who have taken netflix off my sky and I'm going to try netflix directly. 

Sorry to hear you haven't had the same help as we have. They've been faultless trying to help us. 

This message was authored by TheGreek This message was authored by: TheGreek

Anyone had any luck with this? I'm currently in the same boat. 

Kleer1991
Topic Author

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue!!

I'm still no further forward with it. I'm thinking of writing to the Ombudsman about it and seeing what they advise because I've spent an ungodly amount of hours and time on the phone to both companies with no resolution or timescale of one! 😫

This message was authored by CalvSpurs This message was authored by: CalvSpurs

We've recently encountered this issue too.  After a lot of google research, it seems Netflix have to unlink the account for you and you have to give them a call in order to do so.  I explained it was seemingly being linked to two Sky accounts from when I'd previously watched something at my parents house and I needed to unlink from their Sky account which they managed to do.  Had to sign in on my Sky & netflix app whilst on the phone which possibly allowed them to see which one to leave linked and which one to remove.

This message was authored by CalvSpurs This message was authored by: CalvSpurs

Just to clarify, it's my Netflix account and I called them as the bill payer in case that makes any difference.  This has now allowed my Dad to set up his own account which he had recently agreed with Sky (he was encountering the same problem as the original poster).

This message was authored by djpaul66 This message was authored by: djpaul66

I have the same issue but in my case, I had a direct Netflix account and renewed my Sky package with Netflix included. I never got an activation code from Sky saying I have Netflix through them. I have spoken with both Sky and Netflix more than once. Netflix say it's a Sky problem and Sky said it's a change in Netflix's software that has caused the issue. I'm really not happy and this should be an easy fix but loosing my patience.

This message was authored by djpaul66 This message was authored by: djpaul66

Just to add, I was told by Sky to used my Sky ID details to log into Netflix as part of my package but Netflix cannot find that email address and account. I think that is the problem. Sky create a Netflix link using your Sky ID which the Sky Q box retains but Netflix does not recognise the account. That puts you in a loop of "other" Netflix account. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@djpaul66 wrote:

Just to add, I was told by Sky to used my Sky ID details to log into Netflix as part of my package but Netflix cannot find that email address and account. I think that is the problem. Sky create a Netflix link using your Sky ID which the Sky Q box retains but Netflix does not recognise the account. That puts you in a loop of "other" Netflix account. 

Well that isn't how the Sky and Netflix integration works at all. You need to manually link your Sky and Netflix accounts by signing into Netflix on a Sky device.

the instructions are here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/apps-on-sky-q-and-glass-using-netflix

it's not possible for Sky to create a Netflix account for you, you must have an account and then link it

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion