Discussion topic: Using Sky Go on Apple TV

This message was authored by mikeamherst This message was authored by: mikeamherst

Using Sky Go on Apple TV

I notice that the Sky Go app has launched on Apple TV. As a Sky Q customer with only the one TV I'd like to be able to access programming through my Apple TV as it's so much snappier than the Sky Q interface for apps. Any idea if streaming on Sky Go on Apple TV supports HD, UHD or Atmos? And what channels are missing on Sky Go? I also see that to use Sky Go on Apple TV I need to pay for a multi screen subscription. Personally, provided I can get the picture and sound I want I'd be happy to pay for and only access Sky through my Apple TV rather than needing the Sky Q box. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Using Sky Go on Apple TV

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

SKY Go does not currently support UHD - I am not an expert but I think that SKY go doesn't even support Full HD (i.e. 1080) but may be limited to 720 - I am sure the experts here will correct me if I am wrong

I think SKY Go is seen more as a 'support' than a fully fledged alternative to SKY Minis etc 

Whether that willl ever change I am not sure - especially as SKY introduce the SKY Stream product

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

SKY Go does not currently support UHD - I am not an expert but I think that SKY go doesn't even support Full HD (i.e. 1080) but may be limited to 720 - I am sure the experts here will correct me if I am wrong

I think SKY Go is seen more as a 'support' than a fully fledged alternative to SKY Minis etc 

Whether that willl ever change I am not sure - especially as SKY introduce the SKY Stream product

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@nigea99 wrote:

@mikeamherst 

Sky Go on Apple TV boxes is limited in picture quality to 720P absolute max, but only on a few Sky channels. The rest are a pretty abysmal 576P and look terrible. Don't even think about Atmos audio either - it's stereo 2.0 all the way! 

It's a shame as the interface is snappy and looks pretty slick, but if you want UHD/HDR & Atmos then Sky Stream is the only way to get it. 

I, like you, would have been quite happy if Sky had allowed better quality streams via its own app on an Apple TV box - I'd have been happy to give them some money for that, but alas, no. 

mikeamherst
Topic Author
This message was authored by mikeamherst This message was authored by: mikeamherst

Thanks so much for these very helpful replies. Fingers crossed Sky may think again when Stream comes out. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion