Discussion topic: 3rd Party Router with SR203

This message was authored by Jezzahxo This message was authored by: Jezzahxo

3rd Party Router with SR203

New Sky customer here. I have read almost every post  in an attempt to arm myself with the knowledge to make this work... but am ultimately still struggling. 

Recently changed from Virgin to Sky - I am looking to replace the Sky provided SR203 with my own third party router. My current package is Sky Broadband Superfast 35 which I believe is FTTC. 

I currently own an ASUS RT-AC87U (which worked perfectly with the old Virgin Hub in modem mode!) and after reading the many forums I've also purchased the TP Link TD-W9970. My understanding was the TP Link bridges and authenticates with Sky and I was hoping to connect my ASUS router to the TP Link. I understand the AC87U does not allow for the Option 61 authentication, which is why I need the TP Link to do this. Do I need a MER compatible ASUS router? The authentication username when using the TP Link was abcdefgh@skydsl with 1234567890abcdef as the password. 

I have read many posts by @cookiemonsteruk regarding the difference between Sky_VDSL and Sky_VDSL Mer whilst also trying the generic "OTHER" ISP profile as per this post - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Purchased-new-router-looking-for-Sky-compatible-modem/td-p/39...

I tried all three profiles which all denote as "Internet Connected" on the TP Link but when connecting to the ASUS router I get no connection. I did notice that I am getting downstream packet errors when viewing the TP Link statistics but can't see any errors when reconnecting to my SR203. 

Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 18.50.22.png

I did get it working (albeit temporarily) when using the TP-Link as the modem & router and connecting my devices to it wirelessly. It worked for about 15 mins but then started dropping out. It seemed to work on my phone and laptop more consistently but some devices such as the playstation 5 didn't like it at all and failed to connect. 

I've a feeling I should purchase an ASUS router which allows for Sky MER authentication and perhaps it'll solve my issue... please could someone confirm if you think this will help before committing to the purchase.

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: 3rd Party Router with SR203

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jezzahxo 

Retain the tp link td w9970 in that way you will retain the client identifier (option 61) when fttp arrives. With a combined modem router with fttp you will lose option 61 as the vdsl modem is no longer the wan. 

Which rt ax you go for depends on budget and requirements. A could model would be the rt ax58u at around £150 however the rt ax56u at around £110 is a capable wifi 6 router. Anything more advanced would cost £200-£300

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Jezzahxo 

The full info for setting up the tp link is below

Instructions for setting up tp link td w9970 as modem bridge

select sky vdsl from isp list
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

but currently your tp link setup looks good  so long as you've used sky vdsl and not sky mer vdsl

The main things to look for re the asus are :-

Client identifier (option 61) type in 

anything@skydsl|anything

Set MTU to 1500

And on the asus you'd need to go to lan settings on the left hand column then IPTV along the top and for internet vlan id select manual/custom and type in 101

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Jezzahxo
Topic Author

Thank you @cookiemonsteruk 

I think here lies my problem. My pre-existing Asus RT-AC87U will not support the Client identifier (option 61). 

I will look to purchase one of the routers I've seen recommended in other threads such as the Asus RT-AX range. 

Would you recommend retaining the TP Link as a modem or using a DSL modem/router from ASUS? Are there any advantages to one or the other?

Appreciate it!

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Jezzahxo 

Retain the tp link td w9970 in that way you will retain the client identifier (option 61) when fttp arrives. With a combined modem router with fttp you will lose option 61 as the vdsl modem is no longer the wan. 

Which rt ax you go for depends on budget and requirements. A could model would be the rt ax58u at around £150 however the rt ax56u at around £110 is a capable wifi 6 router. Anything more advanced would cost £200-£300

Jezzahxo
Topic Author

Perfect - just the info I was looking for. 

Thanks for your help!

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Jezzahxo 

"A could model"

By the way that should have been "a good model" 😁

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion