Discussion topic: What is the point of having Peacock in the UK?

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

Re: What is the point of having Peacock in the UK?

Based on A True Story is on Sky Max from 29th December.

https://digiguide.tv/programme-details/Sky+Max+HD/29+December+2023/21:00/Based+on+a+True+Story/Drama...

Sony sold Twisted Metal to Paramount+ Canada and other International Markets to be announced at later date.

Mrs. Davis that is WB owned so could end up anywhere, although I thought Sky might of acquired it for Sky Max or something .

This message was authored by Derek_Trotter This message was authored by: Derek_Trotter

@Timelord2018 wrote:

Based on A True Story is on Sky Max from 29th December.

Sony sold Twisted Metal to Paramount+ Canada and other International Markets to be announced at later date.

I can highly recommend both. They're quirky and a lot of fun if you like that kind of thing! 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The rights issue wa always going to cause problems them actually bringing a version even similar to the US one over to the UK. In theory they could have essentially rebranded Sky on-demand as Peacock to show the shows that Sky have the on-demand rights to but the brand strength of peacock would be so weak in the UK conpared to the strength and value of the Sky brand.

im surprised its taken them this long to properly kill it off though.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Derek_Trotter wrote:

@Timelord2018 wrote:

All remaining content will be removed by 9th January.

Peacock works much better in the USA as a full streaming service. I watched a lot of great stuff on there when I was working in the States earlier in the year. Great series like Twisted Metal, Based On A True Story and Mrs Davis, none of which seem to have made it to Sky yet. It had a really nice mix of movies and sports too.

And they only lost $2.8 billion in 2023 to do so ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Derek_Trotter wrote:

@Timelord2018 wrote:

All remaining content will be removed by 9th January.

Peacock works much better in the USA as a full streaming service. I watched a lot of great stuff on there when I was working in the States earlier in the year. Great series like Twisted Metal, Based On A True Story and Mrs Davis, none of which seem to have made it to Sky yet. It had a really nice mix of movies and sports too.

And they only lost $2.8 billion in 2023 to do so ; )

And they are continuing to invest in Sport aswell

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/comcast-peacock-streaming-nba-live-sport-rights-espn/

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Timelord2018 

Apparently not blowing the full predicted $3 billion counts as a success...

This message was authored by Derek_Trotter This message was authored by: Derek_Trotter

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Timelord2018 

Apparently not blowing the full predicted $3 billion counts as a success...

That's bonkers! The Peacock app itself is really quite good and I couldn't believe how much you got for a very small subscription. Original programmes, live sports of all sorts, movies and many in 4K with Atmos and HDR. The colleague I was staying with in the US said it only cost him $20 for an annual subscription too which is insanely cheap, so I guess that's why they're losing so much money!! There were ads but the breaks were only a minute long and were actually quite funny because they were so OTT and largely trying to sell pharmaceuticals of various sorts! What I also liked was that movies weren't interrupted by ads - you were presented with a longer 3-4minute collection of ads at the start then the movie itself would play without interruption. 

Average revenue per user is over $10 monthly 

https://variety.com/2023/streaming/news/peacock-30-million-subscribers-peak-losses-1235820372/

I was surprised they don't have some separate kind of sports addon 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

For years all customers who subscribed to Comcast's cable service for peacock for free, and I believe now do have to pay for it buts it only like a few dollars a month.

it would kind of be the equivalent to if Sky gave all their broadband customers a free Sky stream subscription for a few quid a month which some really bonkers.

i don't really get why in the US it all started off as focusing on subscriber numbers rather than profit, having tens of millions of cheap subscribers isnt going to make you any money of your streaming service, unless you weren't interested in adding new prpgramming to the service constantly.

i still expect Comcast and WDB to merge at some point and combine all their streaming services together into one service.

NOT a Sky Employee

Lot's going on with the US streamers at the moment... Apple & Paramount are also pondering some kind of partnership:

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2023/12/05/apple-and-paramount-reportedly-mulling-streaming-partners... 

I wonder if that would affect Sky's relationship with Paramount+ or whether a combined offering would be a benefit? With 'free' Paramount+ already bundled with Sky Cinema and various 6 month offers of 'free' Apple TV+ from Sky, it might end up being good for everyone? 

The amount Apple spent on the global rights to Major League Soccer over a 10 year period i'm not surprised they will be looking to partner up with someone else. 

NOT a Sky Employee

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:kers.

i don't really get why in the US it all started off as focusing on subscriber numbers rather than profit, having tens of millions of cheap subscribers isnt going to make you any money of your streaming service

South Park said it a quarter-century ago ; )

profit.jpg

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/profit 

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:kers.

i don't really get why in the US it all started off as focusing on subscriber numbers rather than profit, having tens of millions of cheap subscribers isnt going to make you any money of your streaming service

South Park said it a quarter-century ago ; )

profit.jpg

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/profit 

No idea how i completely forgot about that episode of South Park

NOT a Sky Employee

Confirmed on this link it will close on 9th January 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-peacock

@Timelord2018 

Bit unfortunate the rest of the page is the one from launch highlighting how it's 'crammed full of critically acclaimed Peacock originals' and featuring the 'huge range of much-loved collections' ; )

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion