Discussion topic: ONT Box - New connection

This message was authored by Thevoid This message was authored by: Thevoid

ONT Box - New connection

Hi, I'm moving into a flat next week so ordered fibre broadband. Order went through ok.

Today I received a message from openreach to confirm the activation and to check if the ONT has it's power cable and that there's nothing missing.

I have no idea so they're activating it anyway. Would this mean that a ONT Box had been previously installed?

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: ONT Box - New connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Thevoid wrote:

Would this mean that a ONT Box had been previously installed?

Probably, yes.

You could try putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker

Unfortunately ONTs do sometimes depart with previous occupants.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

Make sure sky send you out an Ethernet wire separately to plug into your ONT box and keep the router out of the cupboard.

I've now had to use a cat 7 - which I had - longer length Ethernet cable out of the cupboard and connected further into the living room for better signal range.

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
Thevoid
Topic Author

Thanks, it says ONT exists with no active service.

As it's a flat, is it possible there will just be an ethernet port on the wall instead of an ONT Box? I can't recall seeing one when I viewed the place.

Surely someone wouldn't unscrew the ONT off the wall and take it with them?

Thevoid
Topic Author

What cupboard sorry?

I'm new to this setup! What should I be looking out for in the flat? I presumed it was just a box with green lights stuck on an interior wall lol

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Thevoid wrote:

As it's a flat, is it possible there will just be an ethernet port on the wall instead of an ONT Box?

Possibly, but that's typically found somewhere like a university residence with a wider data network, not in individual MDUs for private sale or rental.

Surely someone wouldn't unscrew the ONT off the wall and take it with them?

Unfortunately that does happen: recent units carry a permanent advisory label which probably indicates it's a recurring problem for Openreach.

ONT_Label.jpeg

Alternatively the ONT is located somewhere unhelpful such as a utility closet, often with no wiring route for a telephone handset from the Hub.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Thevoid 

Openreach can tend to hide the ont in cupboards, closets etc etc

If you don't have an ont below

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

You need to let sky know. Every flat needs to have one

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Thevoid
Topic Author

Is it a fairly quick process to have a replacement if there isn't one?

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

It will need to be raised by sky to openreach to install as is a FTTP and required.

But in my experience a telephone socket was provided for underneath the ONT box in the cupboard. But as sky don't recommend the router under the stairs cupboard as it blocks the signal, then yeah, it needs to be out the cupboard and a longer Ethernet cable used with the router.

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Thevoid 

Just an additional point . If my memory serves me correctly Openreach will generally not replace a missing ont when the wholesale checker says there is one 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Thevoid 

Openreach will generally not replace a missing ont when the wholesale checker says there is one 

I think they wait until the activation date has passed, then the ISP logs a fault.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Thevoid 

Openreach will generally not replace a missing ont when the wholesale checker says there is one 

I think they wait until the activation date has passed, then the ISP logs a fault.

@TimmyBGood That the OP was asked the question about the ONT implies that Sky/Openreach maybe starting to being more proactive or at least we can hope they are 😀

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion