Discussion topic: Bedroom sky q box poor connection

This message was authored by Owen76 This message was authored by: Owen76

Bedroom sky q box poor connection

Hi after some help with bedroom sky q box, I have virgin broadband which is plugged via Ethernet into the main sky q box downstairs, I had what I thought was a sky q booster but it turns out it's a sky broadband booster! And I'm struggling to get a stable network & internet connection to the sky q box in the bedroom! 
do I need to swap out the sky broadband booster for a sky q booster? Or is there anything else I can try to get a connection to the upstairs box? 
thanks! 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Bedroom sky q box poor connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Owen76 Not sure where you got a Sky Broadband Booster as they all belong to Sky and in theory cannot be resold. However if you boister is either the one in the middle or on the right in the picture on this page https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-booster-setup-what-booster-do-you-have it will work with Sky Q box. The booster nees to be within range of the 5GHz signal produced by the main Sky Q box and should be linked by wps to that first - the help screens walk you through the process then you link the Q mini to the booster assuming it is in range. Boosters need to be receiving a strong signal to boost.

One issue you msy hit is interference between your Virgin Hubs wifi and the Sky wifi. By default the Sky signal uses ch36 to 52 in the  5GHz band (Ch36 80MHz)which is likely to be the dfault used by the Virgin hub. You need to use different channels to help with that Sky Q boxes can be set to use either Ch36 to 44 or ch44 to 52 by reducing the bandwidth to 40MHz. The stting is in the hidden engineer's menu accessed by navigatingbto Settings but entering 0,0,1 before select on the remote. Set the Virgin hub to use the channels you have cleared.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Owen76
Topic Author

@Chrisee   Thanks, I got the broadband booster from sky when we had their broadband as we had issues getting signals in the bedrooms of the extension, it's the one at the bottom of the photos which stands up! They never asked for it back when we switched to Virgin? We had a sky engineer come out the other week and he replaced the booster as the lights weren't coming on and the wps wasn't working, I believe he carried out all the setting alterations you mention and I remember him saying he had switched the 2.4 off as it interferes with the TV which works on 5ghz so I'm at a bit of a loss now then! 😂

Owen76
Topic Author

Also is the booster working off 2.4 or 5ghz? 
thanks

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Owen76 Try moving the booster closer to the Sky Q box to see if the wps reconnects. Turning off the 2.4GHz figures but go into the enginerr's menu to check what the engineer set it to then check the Virgin hub's settings to make sure they dont clash.

Must admit I dislike boosters and used powerline adaters to connect my Q minis which struggled with connectivity - thse use your mains wiring and connect to the Q boxes by ethernet the other adapter is plugged into an ethernet port on your Virgin hub.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Owen76
Topic Author

What power line adaptors would you recommend? Thanks 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Owen76 

Devolo are the premium brand. If you are looking to save a bit of money though TP-Link ones are fine. Just dont get the ones with built in WiFi. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion