Discussion topic: Sky Sports Premier League on-screen graphics

This message was authored by Miss+Liz This message was authored by: Miss+Liz

Sky Sports Premier League on-screen graphics

Hi,

Does anyone else agree that the new on-screen graphics for the teams on Sky Sports Premier League is ridiculous?

As someone who doesn't watch football often, I can't work out the teams from the crests, and need to read the text, but it is so tiny it's pretty much unreadable. I'm sure for those who are viewing in SD / small television / portable device it's impossible.

In my opinion it was much better and simpler  how it used to be.

Or is it just me?

Thanks for reading,

Liz

All Replies

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

Re: Sky Sports Premier League on-screen graphics

@Miss+Liz wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone else agree that the new on-screen graphics for the teams on Sky Sports Premier League is ridiculous?

As someone who doesn't watch football often, I can't work out the teams from the crests, and need to read the text, but it is so tiny it's pretty much unreadable. I'm sure for those who are viewing in SD / small television / portable device it's impossible.

In my opinion it was much better and simpler  how it used to be.

Or is it just me?

Thanks for reading,

Liz

I wouldn't say it was ridiculous. "Different", yes. 

The programme banner / EPG listings will tell you who's playing. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Miss+Liz 

Luckily I know which match I sat down to watch but in the coming days, when this match is shown again in full a lot of viewers may have to press select to see what game is being shown. Perhaps it's something the PL has had some input in because the Norwich v Wigan EFL game earlier had the old graphics. I must brush up on my PL club crests. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Personally I'm the other way round and can identify the club's better by the crest than the name, but then I'm familiar with who's who crest wise

@Daniel0210  whilst I agree the search and scan banner is a way to identify the team names, super Sunday games could be an issue for example tomorrow's double header is displayed super Sunday on both and you physically have to dig into the program description to identify who's playing 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Miss+Liz
Topic Author

Again, I'm coming from the point of view of people who don't know the crests, and want this to be as accessible as possible.

Yes you can display the banner to show who's playing (an additional step)

But if you don't know the crests, and you don't know the colours that each team plays in (colour displayed in the on-scrren graphics to the left and right of the crests), then you need to be able to read the text in the crests to work it out. 

The text is too small, and unreadable... this is the problem.

Liz

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Miss+Liz  If you what sky to hear your concerns best to contact them directly by emailing viewerR@sky.uk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Miss+Liz
Topic Author

Thank you @SKY1992bf , I will do so.

Also Interested in other opinions about this of course 🙂

Liz

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

I only watch football occasionally & don't follow any football teams so I have absolutely no idea what teams have what crests.

I switched into the game to watch some of tonight's game & I agree @Miss+Liz  that for those of us that aren't familiar with teams & crests the use of them and no text is far from ideal  (the text in the shields being too small to read  unless you are too close to the screen) - it took my a while to work out which score  was which team.

Great for fans but imo it doesn't encourage casual viewing 

@nigea99 wrote:

I only watch football occasionally & don't follow any football teams so I have absolutely no idea what teams have what crests.

I switched into the game to watch some of tonight's game & I agree @Miss+Liz  that for those of us that aren't familiar with teams & crests the use of them and no text is far from ideal  (the text in the shields being too small to read  unless you are too close to the screen) - it took my a while to work out which score  was which team.

Great for fans but imo it doesn't encourage casual viewing 

So if you have no idea what team has what badge, what difference would it make to you if the scoreboard has a badge or a 3 letter abbreviation? In either scenario, you're not going to know who the teams are. 

I'm surprised it took you time to work out what team had scored - the kit colour is next to the club crest on the scoreboard, the same as it was when the teams were abbreviated. 

Miss+Liz
Topic Author

An abbreviation is much more use to work out which team is which, compared to some impossible to read text.

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

My team Arsenal have an awful crest these days.. Why they got rid of the old one is beyond me... These pesky marketing types I'm sure are to blame !

I haven't helped the OP question but i''m just having a general moan so sorry about that.. 🙂

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband

@Miss+Liz wrote:

An abbreviation is much more use to work out which team is which, compared to some impossible to read text.

Taking last night's match as the example, whether the scoreboard says EVE / CHE or has the 2 crests, from what you've said so far, you'd still have trouble working out the teams. 

I'd go out on a limb here and say that you're not the target audience either way. Perhaps you're the type of person they add the kit colours to the scoreboard for. Casual viewer / non-football watcher can simply look at the scoreboard colour and say 'Team in white has scored a goal'...

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

I find that remark d2h, to be really gatekkeping for anyone who wants to sit down and enjoy a match. 

Casual viewers need to be looked after and displays as assessable as possible.

With Everton and Chelsea, both teams ordinarily wear blue so I guess one must be in away colours yesterday.

Both crests are also blue and white combination. 

I'd be a casual viewer but abbreviation of eve and che, I could work out as Everton and Chelsea.  I googled the crests after working out who it was.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

I think they look very nice.
Recognised them all without problems so far, but then I'm a mad football fan and recognise them easily.
Mind, I'm sure there may be some crests that transpose not so well, we will have to see.
Along with the shirt colour on each end of the graphic that has been a great idea that has worked well over many years. 

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

@nolte wrote:

I find that remark d2h, to be really gatekkeping for anyone who wants to sit down and enjoy a match. 

Casual viewers need to be looked after and displays as assessable as possible.

With Everton and Chelsea, both teams ordinarily wear blue so I guess one must be in away colours yesterday.

Both crests are also blue and white combination. 

I'd be a casual viewer but abbreviation of eve and che, I could work out as Everton and Chelsea.  I googled the crests after working out who it was.

The vast majority of people will tune in to a Premier League match based on who is playing - it's very much appointment viewing. The majority of viewers will not be channel surfing and stumble across a Premier League match and I would guess that 'casual viewers' for any of the sports channels are low in numbers for a few reasons. 

Most people watching will already know who's playing (irrespective of scoreboard) - most people either tune in purely because of who's playing or because they watch most/all live matches, they will know that the team named first is playing at home, know the home kit colour and know that the away team will (usually) be in their away or third kit. Most avid Premier League fans can tell you who's playing by what stadium they're in. 

If you wanted to know who was playing, as a casual viewer/non-football fan, either look at the programme information or the fixture list. Having crests on screen doesn't stop you enjoying a match in the slightest. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion