Discussion topic: Sky Live Glass Camera Launch & Technical Enquiries

This message was authored by Matt5581 This message was authored by: Matt5581

Re: Sky Live Glass Camera Launch

Please don't get me wrong but isn't Whatsapp a video call service, as is othe service suppliers? They advertise you can do any video call, no mention of Zoom

This message was authored by Kellz+W This message was authored by: Kellz+W

Re: Sky Live Glass Camera Launch & Technical Enquiries

Sky Live Camera replaced after Tech Support took picture evidence and tried all troubleshooting.

I don't think it was working correctly from the start as the camera never panned or moved when tested in Zoom.

Fingers crossed for 2nd Camera

Does this mean I'll have to purchase camera number 2?

Mine was replaced as a warranty/busted camera/swap out, you'll have to phone but be prepared to wait up to 40 minutes to get through.  It took 2 hours overall for tech support to go through troubleshooting as they remote on via your mobile and take pictures and guide you through.

I take it you have no Sky Live app's showing and Software is stuck on updating?  Is the red light on all the time?

It had been till about 3am this morning!!!!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Live Glass Camera Launch

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Matt5581 wrote:

isn't Whatsapp a video call service, as is othe service suppliers? 

WhatsApp is not on Glass: Zoom is the chosen partner for this feature (possibly because they over-expanded during COVID and need the business)

There's no particular incentive for Meta, Apple, Microsoft (all rather bigger than Sky, which realistically is a regional television distribution platform) or the owners of other hugely popular video call apps to cooperate with marketing Sky-brand hardware.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

If it's working see how it goes.  If it keeps doing it contact Sky

This message was authored by Ashley+Hings This message was authored by: Ashley+Hings

Re: Sky live is loading...

I've had exactly this. I have to switch it off at the plug and then back on. I'm having to return it and they are sending another. On the call they said they'd never come across this problem but I've seen lots of people with it now

My replacement has red lighted after 4 weeks - restarted multiple times it's dead.  Not a great product Sky! Just not reliable.

Now fixed but it never had any error code:

Had to do this and then it updated the software!

1. Use a SIM tool or paper clip to press the pinhole reset button on the bottom of your Sky Live device. Hold it for ten seconds.
  2. The front LED on Sky Live should flash red and orange for a few minutes.
  3. Once it stops flashing red, press Homeon your Sky remote to refresh your home screen. You should see the 'Ready to set up' tile.
  4. Select this tile and start the setup journey. See Setting up Sky Live for more info.
This message was authored by Superclarkey15 This message was authored by: Superclarkey15

Re: Sky Live loading.

I have exactly the same thing all the time. It's annoying as I try to get a workout in before I go to work most mornings but I spend more time trying to get the camera to load. My glass is also wall mounted which makes it even more difficult to access anything.

let me know if you got a fix for it saying still loading. As I type this email it has been loading for the past 11mins guess it's time to unplug it all again. Sigh

This message was authored by Bingbong98 This message was authored by: Bingbong98

Re: Grainy picture with Sky Live.

Ours is the same, very grainy picture. Went to try the new karaoke and it's awful.

Picture was clear when we first got it

This message was authored by fiftysomethingguy This message was authored by: fiftysomethingguy

But why does it have to take up one of the HDMI ports? USB-C could manage power, data, video and audio all by itself. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@fiftysomethingguy wrote:

USB-C could manage power, data, video and audio all by itself. 

Presumably not with the chipset specified, which was rather elderly even during the tail end of the pandemic in 2020-21 when Glass was manufactured.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@fiftysomethingguy wrote:

But why does it have to take up one of the HDMI ports? USB-C could manage power, data, video and audio all by itself. 

Funnily enough, all the initial promo advertising for the Live camera (which existed on the Sky website for over a year) claimed that it would be just a single USB-C connection between TV & camera. 
During testing however, the limited processing power on board the Glass TV and inside the camera itself revealed insufficient bandwidth to maintain reliability. 
This caused a lengthy delay in the release of Sky Live whilst they designed and tested the rather ugly splitter box which now sends video/audio via HDMI and everything else via USB-C. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion