Discussion topic: Ears ringing with WiFi connection

This message was authored by Mselizabethhal This message was authored by: Mselizabethhal

Ears ringing with WiFi connection

Can anyone help. When I sit in the room with our television on using the WiFi which is behind us. It makes my ears ring.  They carry in ringing for hour after.  It's got something to do with the tv and the WiFi.  It's very unpleasant. We've just moved and sent out sky Q back as I don't want a dish in this house.  We are thinking about sky stream.  I'm wondering if it can be hard wired to the modem and if this might stop the effect in my ears.  It's not a noise in itself but is somehow effecting my ear drums.  Like if you'd been at a very noisy venue and your ears ring afterward. Can't find anything about it in the net except tinnitus.  I don't have a problem if the tvs not been on! Really appreciate anyone's help 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Ears ringing with WiFi connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mselizabethhal you can connect Sky Stream by ethernet if you want. Just run a cable from the Sky  hub to the Stream unit indeed it is probably the best way to connect the units.

There is no authorative medical evidence of wifi causing physical symptoms I have ever seen but some people do claim to be sensitive. Tinnitus on the other handis extremly common, my wife suffers but she has learnt how to ignore it. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Mselizabethhal
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mselizabethhal This message was authored by: Mselizabethhal

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1808869415001639

well it's very unpleasant.  It doesn't happen when im away from the situation. I think it will result in permanent hearing  damage.   It makes you feel ill 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mselizabethhal 

I'd think very high frequency noise from an electronic component is more likely to be the cause than WiFi.  You could request that Sky replaces the Hub, or try the Hub off at the mains socket and the television on.

Stream can be connected to a router over ethernet cable, as can (usually) a smart television.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@Mselizabethhal wrote:

Can anyone help. When I sit in the room with our television on using the WiFi which is behind us. It makes my ears ring.  They carry in ringing for hour after.  It's got something to do with the tv and the WiFi.  It's very unpleasant. We've just moved and sent out sky Q back as I don't want a dish in this house.  We are thinking about sky stream.  I'm wondering if it can be hard wired to the modem and if this might stop the effect in my ears.  It's not a noise in itself but is somehow effecting my ear drums.  Like if you'd been at a very noisy venue and your ears ring afterward. Can't find anything about it in the net except tinnitus.  I don't have a problem if the tvs not been on! Really appreciate anyone's help 

If you don't notice the same effect with the TV off then surely that points at the TV being the issue (as the WiFi is still on)? Do you use a separate soundbar? If so then turn it off and try the TV speakers for a bit. If no soundbar, then can you borrow one to see if it's the TV speakers?

If it is the WiFi (albeit unlikely) then hardwiring the TV will make no difference as the WiFi signal is still being output. Can you move the router so you're not the meat in the sandwich? Another option would be to turn off the WiFi in the router from it's settings and see if that makes any difference.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Mselizabethhal 

I absolutely agree with @Colin0000 that the source of your problem is 99% likely to be the TV if you dont experience the issue when its off. WiFi is constantly being broadcast across your whole home whether your TV is one or off. Its very likely to be that you have sensitive ears to a certain frequency that your TV speaker or external speaker is producing. Either that or you have a faulty speaker/tv. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Mselizabethhal
Topic Author

Thank you. The process of illuminating the cause is difficult.  The discomfort can take a while to happen. And after putting the equipment off my ears will go on ringing for ages.  It's like coming out of a loud nightclub and pressure like coming down in an aircraft.  Glad to hear about the hard wire possibility.  I have yet to purchase the stream box.  We have utility warehouse broadband as the sky was too slow here.  The telly is a 6ft monster he wanted.   Thank you 

This message was authored by Allie5 This message was authored by: Allie5

@Mselizabethhal May I ask for clarification on which router/hub you were using when this was happening? I need to choose a provider and was looking at Sky, but I have very sensitive ears and some sensory issues and am worried about something like this, whatever the cause was. Thank you.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion