Discussion topic: Double NAT Setup Guide.

TrebleTA
Topic Author
This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Re: Double NAT Setup Guide.

I found it depends on the router, 192.x.x will work, on some it where the incomming ip is in the 192.168.x.x range the router then disables some parts as its detecting that range.

Yes this is for home use, and more for gaming, and if upnp is not kicking in with the standard 192.168.x.x

It was more for my kids on the consoles complaining of issues. Now there happyer, this is on call of duty ps4.

20230321_111338.jpg

Upnp is a bit of a security risk, but with newer tec like my router its a lot better.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

Also as I'm using the above setup I have disabled some of the asus features not needed.

IPTV , NAT Passthrou.

20230321_123209.jpg

20230321_123226.jpg

Yet am still testing nat pass, as odd 1 like ipsec may be needed.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

After some messing and tweaking, found it best to leave nat Passthrou at the defaults, and the same on the sky device for ALG, leave enabled.

Also I have disabled UPNP and used the asus open nat rules and they work now.

Before on 192.168.x x I was getting moderated, yet with 100.64.x.x I get open, on double nat. My DDNS and VPN works, enen tho my DDNS detects some kind of multi Nat, from saying it will not work on a double nat, and glitching.

Also the time saving is not set correct by default on asus devices. This is my settings of it.

Screenshot_20230327-121645_Chrome.jpg

for daylight saving etc.

This message was authored by ripster777 This message was authored by: ripster777

thanks @TrebleTA - just to confirm, you have re-enabled ALG on the sky hub?

i've followed your guide but I'm still getting NAT 2 on PS5

TrebleTA
Topic Author

Yes I did re enable alg, yes I've found it can report nat 2, yet in games it's open. Yet that depends if any other device on ya net, as it could be using the same port. But i now use UPNP and setting up port forwarding I've not used the same. Yet have added playstation 5 @ playstation 5 in the gaming open nat rules.

This message was authored by ripster777 This message was authored by: ripster777

thanks @TrebleTA

I'm a little confused - UPnP is OFF within sky hub and ON within the router?

What are the port forwarding rules you use? I'm using a TP-Link AC4000 router which doesn't have specific gaming open nat rules section. 

I can see my PS5 IP address popping up on my router's UPnP sevice list - although PS5 reports NAT 2.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

So upnp is disabled on the sky hub as were we use DMZ it opens every port to say your tp link router, also the sky rules help open all ports to the tp link, then its down to the tp link to take security of the ports.

On mine setting up asus gaming open nat rules for ps5, it opens ports 3074, 3478:3480 both udp and tcp to the ip address of my ps5.

Then if the ps5 needs any more ports Upnp takes over.

Thank you very much @TrebleTA and it's working flawlessly!

TrebleTA
Topic Author

After talking on another thread there is 1 more thing that needs to be done, I orginaly did this just never posted as did not think of it at the time. 

So on your Sky Q box, as we are using a 3ed party for the network device we could get 5g wifi conflicts.

To solve this I go in to the Sky Q and go to setting press 0 0 1 then select on settings,(to get the hidden menu) I then under network put the Sky Q on 80mhz channel 36.

On the setting on my asus under wifi 5g I select 120mhz and channel 48. Or anything not 36.

Not doing the above should not cause problems due to how 5g works to old 2.5g but to be safe.

I'm a android mobile user so ive used a app like wifi analyser to check, yet this app is not the best after recent updates, but ok for basic checks.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TrebleTA 

It is not Hz but Mhz width and suggest you don't go 160Mhz width on channel 48.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

Mhz yes thanks typo

Why not 160/48, what the reason?

@TrebleTA 

It crosses a DFS channel and that is radar detected best to set 80Mhz at the DFS channel than cross the manually allocated 5Ghz channel and DFS.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

On my device that 20/40/80/160mhz I select. Or I can select manual. But think that was with higher channels like 100 not the mhz.

Screenshot_20231005-112028_Chrome.jpg

all the mhz is the speed 120 being faster, depending on interferance.

@TrebleTA 

The channels above 48 80Mhz width are DFS and with a width of 160Mhz then you move into that space with sidebands, best if you are going to use 160Mhz then channel 100 or above is better.

-------

@TrebleTA 

If you must go 160Mhz width across manual and DFS channels then use channel 50 but it isn't advised, please use 100 and above it is more power and a better choice.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 11.24.39.png

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion