Discussion topic: Sky Q - being phased out?

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

Re: Sky Q - being phased out?

@Anonymous wrote:

It must be something odd with Sky's cookies but before I cleared history, Chrome, even in incognito mode wouldn't show Q as an option. Once I cleared history it has reappeared even in the normal window when I'm logged in to Sky. Firefox always shows it but then I've never logged in since I last cleared it's history.

 Firefox:- 

Sky Firefox.png

Chrome pre clearing history:-

Sky Chrome.png

 Chrome after clearing history AND signed in on Sky:-

Sky Chrome cleared history.png

I noticed that very odd.

This message was authored by Martin+Gleeson This message was authored by: Martin+Gleeson

That SES contract runs until 2028, Sky isn't promoting Sky Q although according to others on this forum you can still place an order for it. In saying that would Sky push you towards Sky Glass/Sky Punk.

This message was authored by Martin+Gleeson This message was authored by: Martin+Gleeson

Re: Is Sky discontining Sky Q

Broadband would be strong enough if you opt for Full Fibre 500 with 500mps @£33 per month or Full Fibre Gigafast with 900mbs @ £43 per month. Both are FTTP. Utter nonsense to suggest broadband isn't strong enough when you have options.

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Martin+Gleeson wrote:

Broadband would be strong enough if you opt for Full Fibre 500 with 500mps @£33 per month or Full Fibre Gigafast with 900mbs @ £43 per month. Both are FTTP. Utter nonsense to suggest broadband isn't strong enough when you have options.

Plenty of headroom there as you suggest, but only just over 50% of the U.K. has access to ultrafast broadband speeds, so many of us still don't have these options yet.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K

It's only last yr we were able to get FTTP prior to that it was FTTC.

UK lags behind in European FTTP take-up and average broadband speeds: Ookla analysis into progress made by the EU against the bloc's Digital Decade 2030 strategic objectives finds the UK continues to be at the tail end of European countries' Q3 2023 median fixed performance.

Source Computer Weekly.

This message was authored by Sparkymatt100 This message was authored by: Sparkymatt100

@Martin+Gleeson 

Not every one can get full fibre FTTP.  My exchange still hasnt been upgraded to FTTP and the best I can get is Superfast running about 63Mbs. No deffinate plans as yet to upgrade my exchange although OpenReach say before Dec 2026.

LG OLED65C3" 4K HDR TV
Sky Q 2Tb HDR
Mini Box

Sky Superfast Broadband
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Martin+Gleeson wrote:

UK lags behind in European FTTP take-up 

Worth noting that 'take-up' is a specific measure of the percentage of households in reach of FTTP which actually subscribe, and doesn't illustrate the geographical coverage of the technology itself (where the UK is doing rather well, helped by being a somewhat smaller country than several European neighbours)

In December 2023 Ofcom reported that over seventeen million properties had full fibre available to them, of which under five million had subscribed and so been moved from a copper to an optical circuit.

'Take-up' is likely to remain much lower than availability until a degree of compulsion is brought in: at the moment it's only voluntary upgrades and 'switching' where this happens.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-and-broadband/coverage-and-speeds/full-fibre-broadband-reaches-more-... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Spaceman05 This message was authored by: Spaceman05

The contract has been extended to 2029 now, I thought it ran until 2028, so not much of a extension, I reckon we will all be pushed towards Glass/Stream by then!!

C.Bull
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Spaceman05 wrote:

I reckon we will all be pushed towards Glass/Stream by then!!

If SES don't choose to invest in at least one replacement satellite pretty soon then that's an inevitably: they aren't exactly quick to manufacture, and launch windows are congested.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Will Sky attempt to bluff those customers with limited knowledge on Skys contract with SES in order to get them to switch from Q to Glass and or Stream. 

This message was authored by No+sir+it+was+him This message was authored by: No+sir+it+was+him

@Martin+Gleeson 

It's the opposite actually. I just tried to swap to Stream from Q as my contract is up next month.

My advisor claimed to know nothing of the 2028/9 SES contract expiry and wouldn't let me downgrade ahead of expiry, only offering higher renewal prices on Q as Stream was a "downgrade not a renewal". 

She wouldn't even discuss prices for Stream.

This message was authored by Fidel+59 This message was authored by: Fidel+59

And will you be able to record programmes like Sky Q? 

Nope. 

This message was authored by No+sir+it+was+him This message was authored by: No+sir+it+was+him

@Fidel+59 

It's not something I'm willing to pay £30 extra a month for!

My current package is £80 pm for Q only, no broadband, cheapest renewal offer so far £113.

If I can get Stream for between £75 and £85 I can live with the lack of recordings. I've had too many problems with 2TB boxes over the last few years anyway.

I'm been waiting since May last year for a box capable of watching iPlayer in UHD losing Glastonbury recordings every two years is a pain in the proverbial.

This message was authored by Fidel+59 This message was authored by: Fidel+59

Then that's no good to me. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion