Discussion topic: Sky Q - being phased out?

This message was authored by TPick1 This message was authored by: TPick1

Sky Q - being phased out?

Went past a Sky stand while out and about at the weekend and saw a deal that was better than we are currently getting/paying. Went in, salesman looked up our account and confirmed we could get the deal. Went through a load of guff and then after a while he said that the deal was only available with Stream (which it didn't specify on the board outside). We asked why as we do not want to get rid Sky Q and he said that Sky Q was being phased out. Is this the case? Is there a plan to phase out, or is only offering the best deals on Stream Sky's way of phasing out Q? The salesman said he could never offer the same deal on Q, but surely it doesn't matter what box you are using if there is no plan to phase out Q. Cheers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Rocker12 This message was authored by: Rocker12

Is Sky discontining Sky Q

My contract with Sky runs out in April this year.Is it true I will not be able to renew my Sky Q and have to go to Sky Glass or Sky Streaming in April

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Is Sky discontining Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rocker12 

That's untrue. Sky are still selling new Sky Q subscriptions as well. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Rocker12 This message was authored by: Rocker12

Thank goodness for that .The thought of being forced to get Sky Glass worried me .I have only heard the massive problems with Sky Glass people are having .Not seen a positive review on Sky Glass

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Hopefully this will put your mind at rest as well:

Sky commits to satellite broadcasting until at least 2028 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@Rocker12 wrote:

Thank goodness for that .The thought of being forced to get Sky Glass worried me .I have only heard the massive problems with Sky Glass people are having .Not seen a positive review on Sky Glass

Curious to know where you got this misinformation from?

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Invisiblename wrote:

@Rocker12 wrote:

Assume you're referring to Q being unavailable? If you go to this page (I clicked the TV link from sky.com homepage), can you see Q? You have to go into the TV section of the nav to find it. I can see how assumptions and rumours start.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Rocker12 wrote:

Even if Q was discontinued (which it will be eventually) you won't be required to get a new Sky Glass TV. Sky Stream is the same thing but without a TV screen and soundbar attached. It just replaces the Q box and uses the internet for connection.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chodley wrote:

@Invisiblename wrote:

@Rocker12 wrote:

Thank goodness for that .The thought of being forced to get Sky Glass worried me .

Assume you're referring to Q being unavailable? If you go to this page (I clicked the TV link from sky.com homepage), can you see Q?

The options in that dropdown bar change depending on whether or not the viewer is logged in to a Sky account: if logged in it's populated from the existing subscription details. For me that looks like this:

No_login.png

Logged_in.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Chodley wrote:

@Invisiblename wrote:

@Rocker12 wrote:

Thank goodness for that .The thought of being forced to get Sky Glass worried me .

Assume you're referring to Q being unavailable? If you go to this page (I clicked the TV link from sky.com homepage), can you see Q?

The options in that dropdown bar change depending on whether or not the viewer is logged in to a Sky account: if logged in it's populated from the existing subscription details. For me that looks like this:

Yes, to check new customer deals when coming up for renewal you need to use a 2nd browser that you're not logged into and for preference have cleared cache & cookies 😉 Strange how the prices look different between the two browsers...

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Yeah I was talking about what you see if you're an anonymous visitor. I wasn't signed in. So effectively what they are primarily marketing.

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Re: Sky Q - being phased out?

Hi @TPick1

No one knows for sure when it will be phased out, all we know at present is SES have a contract with sky until 2028 so it won't be phased out before then. it may be extended after 2028.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@TPick1 

Sky are still offering new deals for Sky Q. The life expectancy of the actual satellite is near the end of this decade. I think he was after his commission. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
TPick1
Topic Author
This message was authored by TPick1 This message was authored by: TPick1

Thanks for the quick response and info.  So basically no reason why the same deal couldn't have been offered with our existing box then 🙂.

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

I've noticed Sky Q is still more expensive than stream, I guess the overheads of Q cost more as they have to pay for transponder usage on 28.2 satellite. Compared to stream as that just requires bandwidth.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion