Discussion topic: My new Samsung tv not recognising Sky Q box. Says no Signal and check power device

This message was authored by RobertHaines This message was authored by: RobertHaines

My new Samsung tv not recognising Sky Q box. Says no Signal and check power device

My new Samsung tv keeps not connecting to Sky Q box. It says no signal and check power device. The only way I can get it to connect again is reset Sky Q box. I spoke to Samsung but they told me it's an issue with quality of hdmi cable. I am using hdmi cable that came with the Sky Q box. Samsung said I should use high-speed HDMI cable or HDMI 2.1 cable. Anybody else had this issue? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F Answer

Re: My new Samsung tv not recognising Sky Q box. Says no Signal and check power device

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

Thanks for coming to Community to flag the issues you have been having with your Samsung TVs and Sky Q boxes showing "No Signal"

In order to get this properly investigated we are going to need examples of the following details shared and we will need quite a few of them.  That being said, if you are visiting the page but have not engaged despite having the issue, please help in us building a detailed picture of what equipment is seeing the issue.

We are looking for:

1. The Make & Model of your TV
  2. The software version your TV is currently on
  3. A timestamp of when the issue has happened for you
  4. Whether this TV is connected to your Sky Q main box or a mini box
  5. Confirmation that cable set up has been checked upon replying & that you are selecting the correct source on your TV for the Sky Q HDMi cable.

I've marked this as the current best answer for customers so that new visitors to the thread can easilly see this request for more information.

Thanks for your help on this 🙂

Daniel
Community Moderator

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Re: My new Samsung tv not recognising Sky Q box. Says no Signal and check power device

@RobertHaines wrote:

My new Samsung tv keeps not connecting to Sky Q box. It says no signal and check power device. The only way I can get it to connect again is reset Sky Q box. I spoke to Samsung but they told me it's an issue with quality of hdmi cable. I am using hdmi cable that came with the Sky Q box. Samsung said I should use high-speed HDMI cable or HDMI 2.1 cable. Anybody else had this issue? 

HDMI cables can fail but are cheap to replace. You can get a high quality HDMI 2.1 cable from Amazon for around £5.

It'll be quicker than asking Sky to send you one.  

This message was authored by popacatapetal This message was authored by: popacatapetal

You could try this:-

Ensure tv and sky q box are both switched on.

Press Home button on Samsung TV remote.

Press up arrow on Samsung remote to select the menu bar.

Scroll across to the Sky TV tab and press ok

Now select dismiss button on Sky remote and the Sky output should now be on your screen.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Is this another case of a samsung TV crashing the Q box if you turn off the TV while the Q is still on?

This message was authored by Ducatasti This message was authored by: Ducatasti

It feels like Russian Roulette after I switch off my Sky Q. Using my SKY Remote then power it back on about 90%+  of the time Samsung powers up and indicates Sky Box has no power!  It's been the same for months, usually have to resort to powering off sky box at wall socket and restarting it completely. After restart it amay or may not power up next time, leave it for a couple of days and pretty much 100% of time will have to reset..  Sky Q box is absolutely useless.  Replaced HDMI, no help.  Have been a Sky customer for close to 20 years,  looks like it's time to switch to a provider that can interface with my TV and not just bury their heads in the "it's not a known problem" !!!

This message was authored by 99momeara This message was authored by: 99momeara

I've had this issue for ages and with 2 different Samsung TVs. Rather than reset the Q box we simply just turn it off with the remote and then turn it back on again. Wait a few seconds each time as can be a delay for picture to come through. Normally picture will appear after 2/3 attempts

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

I've had several Samsung tv's connected to different Sky boxes, either SkyHD, SkyQ or miniboxes, must be about 7 at the last count. Not one had cec issues. Got a new S95D recently and still none.

However I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because there are just as many other manufacturers tv's that exhibit this issue. https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Switching-on-LG-OLED55C24LA-TV-using-Sky-remote-often-does-not-re...

First things to do is check that the tv's cec is turned on, it maybe called something else, and have the Sky box connected directly to the tv, not through any sound device or a HDMI switch.

It seems that cec with the, rather elderly, Sky boxes are rather finicky.

Thanks @cuke, checked settings and CEC is already set correctly (Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)) and HDMI cable connected directly to the correct port at TV rear.  Still get arbitrary connection on start up 🤢😖

This message was authored by 99momeara This message was authored by: 99momeara

My mini box works fine with my other Samsung TV. The times I have had issues has always been on Samsung TVs that use the One Connect box

@99momeara wrote:

My mini box works fine with my other Samsung TV. The times I have had issues has always been on Samsung TVs that use the One Connect box

The S95D has a OCB and flawlessly turns on the SkyQ box, my Q90R also has a OCB and does the same, perfect everytime.

@Ducatasti you could try actually turning off cec on the Samsung, I know this doesn't make sense but sometimes I've known this to work. Otherwise check that HDMI control is on within the Sky box settings.

If all fails you could try a factory reset of the tv, with the sky box connected.

Which Samsung model have you got by the way?

@cukethe Samsung is a 65 Inch QN900B Neo QLED 4K HDR Smart TV (2022).   I tried all your recommendations (thanks by the way) and still no joy.  Worked for a couple of days then switched on again yesterday and same old result,  tried toggling power with Sky Q and TV native remotes and nothing worked.  After 20 min just recycled power on  the SKY Q box and after a few minutes it's ways back up.  I'll contact Sky and see if I can get a replacement box 🤢

This message was authored by NickH87 This message was authored by: NickH87

@Ducatasti did you manage to get this resolved? We have just got the QN85D Neo QLED and it's first time we've had this issue despite have several Samsung TV's connected previously to main box (have one connected to a mini box with no issues). Did you have to replace the box?

No I haven't managed to resolve the issue, just living with having to restart the Sky box whenever it has trouble starting. Sometimes 2-3 days Ok and other times just a day.  have been lax (not made time) contacting Sky

This message was authored by Brad18322 This message was authored by: Brad18322

@Ducatasti wrote:

No I haven't managed to resolve the issue, just living with having to restart the Sky box whenever it has trouble starting. Sometimes 2-3 days Ok and other times just a day.  have been lax (not made time) contacting Sky

I've got the same Samsung tv model and having exactly the same issues! It can be fine for 2-3 days and then I will have to unplug to restart to

get it working. I've had Samsung TV's for years and have 2 mini boxes set up with 2 other Samsung TV's which work fine and have never had issues. I'm t drives me crazy!

Has anyone tried different cables, ports, I assume SkyQ is connected directly to the tv, or even reset their tv's?

I use these cables Deal: Maxonar 8K HDMI 2.1 Cable 3.3FT, (Certified) Ultra HD 48Gbps High Speed 8K60 4K120 eARC RTX 3090 HDR10 4:4:4 HDCP 2.2&2.3 Dolby Compatible with PS5/4, Xbox Series X, Roku/Fire/Sony/LG TV https://amzn.eu/d/6WNXDtT

Have been since 2022.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion