Discussion topic: Wifi 6

This message was authored by John+B1 This message was authored by: John+B1

Wifi 6

Does any on know if Sky are going to bring out a modern router that supports wifi 6 and upwards.

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Wifi 6

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@John+B1 wrote:

Does any on know if Sky are going to bring out a modern router that supports wifi 6 and upwards.

@John+B1 at a guess no one here will know as Sky very rarely release that information to us customers 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@John+B1 

Both BT and Sky are now sorely in need of such hardware (with WPA 3 as well), but it appears they simply can't get it manufactured in large enough volume during the ongoing global silicon component shortage: ISPs on their scale need hundreds of thousands per batch, and ultimately millions of routers in total.

Some early testing has begun on the final Smart Hub 3, but component constraints are known to be causing issues and delays with actually supplying enough of the devices for consumers. We saw similar problems with BT’s most recent TV box, which also caused significant delays. The current expectation for a launch is now Q1 2023, and it’s too early to bank on that.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/01/bt-uk-set-to-launch-smart-hub-3-broadband-router-in-ju... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
John+B1
Topic Author

Some time for an official hub Then. I am thinking of replacing the current one with a much better router. What do you think?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@John+B1 

Depends on what you value in a home router, how much you are willing to spend & the kind of performance you are looking for. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@John+B1 wrote:

Some time for an official hub Then. I am thinking of replacing the current one with a much better router. What do you think?

I  bought a Wifi 6 access point because it was cheaper than a Wifi 6 router.

Topic Author

I have a lot of devices connected so would like a router which has a lot of processing power and offers a much better function set. Money is not an issue really. However lets nof go silly. Performance is what I need.

John+B1
Topic Author

I have a lot of devices connected so would like a router which has a lot of processing power and offers a much better function set. Money is not an issue really. However lets not go silly. Performance is what I need able to handle lots of devices. So you know I have security systems attached, cameras  alarm systems, fully automated home along with all the other usual devices. On top of that the sky service. Most of all this is wired.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@John+B1 

Personally I'd go for one of the Asus AX routers as they are WiFi 6 and known to work easily with Sky. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion