Discussion topic: VPN set up on Broadband hub

This message was authored by Martin+987 This message was authored by: Martin+987

VPN set up on Broadband hub

Hi I want to set my Sky Broadband Hub (model SR203)up to connect to a VPN service. Can anyone provide advice please (in simple terms as I don't profess to be techie!!) from logging into the router to what setting need to be configured.

Thanks for any advice.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: VPN set up on Broadband hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Martin+987 

The Sky hub does not have built in VPN. If you wish to use a VPN service you'd have to install it directly on the device you are using or purchase a 3rd party VPN router.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Martin+987 

Hosting a VPN service is not a feature typically found on any domestic ISP router.

You'll find such things widely discussed online, but be aware that some of the solutions will be on router hardware which is not compatible with Sky Broadband.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Martin+987
Topic Author
This message was authored by Martin+987 This message was authored by: Martin+987

This message was authored by jamesn123

@jamesn123Thanks for the response James. That explains some of floundering around on the internet trying to find out how to do the impossible!! I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

this message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123
Martin+987
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

Thanks for the reply and taking the time out to help.

This message was authored by Mika+Hakkinen This message was authored by: Mika+Hakkinen

So are younsaying that buying ExpressVPN's Aircove router would not allow Sky Broadband to run through it?

Router shown here: https://www.expressvpn.com/aircove

Many thanks!

Sky Q 2TB Ultra HD
Panasonic ‎TX-55LZ800B 4K OLED
Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V6A 7.2 surround sound
Sky VIP Diamond
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Mika+Hakkinen 

In the link below there are 3 asus routers that can have the full expressvpn deployment installed on the router. The next list gives the asus routers that can have a defeatured openvpn client installed.  As asus authenticate with sky servers they are the ones to look at

https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-download/vpn-router

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Mika+Hakkinen This message was authored by: Mika+Hakkinen

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not being pedantic, but I wondered what why meant by 

In the link below there are 3 asus routers that can havew?

Many thanks!👍

Sky Q 2TB Ultra HD
Sky VIP Diamond
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Mika+Hakkinen 

Sorry battery depleted on one phone so had to post at least the link and then elaborate

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

So if I'm understand if you correctly, the 3 Asus routers that ExpressVPN advertise can  be compatible with Sky superfast broadband? (The black router with VOIP built-in)?

Many thanks for your knowledge, it's much appreciated!

Sky Q 2TB Ultra HD
Sky VIP Diamond

@Mika+Hakkinen 

These asus are the ones to look at

1000004034.jpg

Also what connection do you have fttc or fttp?

Ah sorry, I've just read this reply after the other one (Sky forum gave a strange notification order!)

Sky Q 2TB Ultra HD
Sky VIP Diamond

@Mika+Hakkinen 

If you are on vdsl fttc you would also need a vdsl modem bridge so that the asus gains the public ip 

I have have fttc for the time being.

Am I mental, or are companies like Gigaclear installing FFTP, but other providers can't use that same technology (as in, utilise the same dug channels from the property to the cabinet?

That's as crazy as if Openreach barred every other ISP from touching the cabinets except themselves/BT!

Sky Q 2TB Ultra HD
Sky VIP Diamond

@Mika+Hakkinen 

They are seperate network infrastructure builders with their own equipment 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion