Discussion topic: Broadband Price Rise in April.

This message was authored by Barry+Bados This message was authored by: Barry+Bados

Broadband Price Rise in April.

I have in the last week or so taken out an 18 month Sky Broadband Ultrafast contract which is not due to be installed/go live until the second week of March 2023.

I have just read today that Sky are now increasing their Broadband prices in April!

Does this mean that before my new contract has even gone live my monthly Broadband bill will increase for the entire 18 month contract period in April before it has even started!

Surely this is unfair, any comments please, I assume I could cancel my new contract within a "cooling off" period but was looking forward to having Sky Ultrafast having been with Sky for over 30 years..

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Broadband Price Rise in April.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Barry+Bados 

Sky sometimes allow a grace period on subscriptions taken out just before a price increase; ie the increase not coming into effect for a couple of months. Be aware that Sky have an annual price increase every April so it's likely to rise again within your 18 month deal. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Juicebuster This message was authored by: Juicebuster

Has anyone been able to cancel their broadband contract early without early termination charges doe the April price raise?

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Juicebuster wrote:

Has anyone been able to cancel their broadband contract early without early termination charges doe the April price raise?

No, but I was able to recontract at a favourable rate which took the pice rise into account.

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Juicebuster wrote:

You can cancel without penalty within 30 days of the price rise notification

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Juicebuster This message was authored by: Juicebuster

James's 123

is this correct contractually? When I spoke to them yesterday they said an annual pay increase is accepted under the terms of the contract and you cannot cancel due to this agreed annual rise.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Juicebuster wrote:

James's 123

is this correct contractually? When I spoke to them yesterday they said an annual pay increase is accepted under the terms of the contract and you cannot cancel due to this agreed annual rise.

@Juicebuster 

You need to quote the email or letter if you've received it yet. You should be able to cancel broadband within 30 days penalty free. This does not apply to TV subscriptions. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Juicebuster wrote:

James's 123

Yes. The pay increase is indeed accepted under your terms of contract, Sky are within their rights to increase the cost of your subscription once per 12 months. However you are also within your contractual rights to leave without penalty within 30 days of notification of the price increase.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Juicebuster 

There's some confusion here: previous contracts (prior to the current version downloadable from the Sky website dated February 2023) do have such a clause prominently displayed, but the new one apparently does not.  I've got an image from the older version which I'll try to post.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Thanks all

I did state i received  the letter on Saturday when I rang on Monday, but this gentleman flatly refused the opportunity to cancel within 30 days of receiving the price hike

anyone on here from Sky who can 100% advise ?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Juicebuster 

Termination charge for early cancellation of contract due to sudden price increase.png

Thank you 

sorry to be unsure but does that mean I can legally end my contract 

@Juicebuster 

If that clause was in the version of the contract you agreed to, then apparently yes.  It's specific to a 'minimum term' because outside that there's always a right to exit upon given the required notice.

Note however that if you actually 'cancel' then there's almost inevitably a delay before another ISP can provide service: what I think it actually means is that you can place an order with a new ISP and they cancel on your behalf as part of the Ofcom switching process.  Unfortunately this bit is pretty unclear.

Hi I have just found the is on Martin Lewis website

Still in your minimum term on a Sky broadband and home phone contract? You can also leave penalty-free. If you're affected by these price increases, you CAN cancel without paying an early termination charge.

Technically, you can only do so within 30 days of receiving official notification of the price increase, though there's no harm in calling sooner to see if you can haggle your bills down. Again, you can contact Sky by phone on 0333 759 1230 or online

interesting and I will be back on the phone tomorrow 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion