Discussion topic: England cricket in india

This message was authored by japitts This message was authored by: japitts

Re: England cricket in india

@BezKent wrote:

Yes. I have the cricket package only - at least that is now possible! I watch mainly cricket and rugby - never football of any gender.

To be fair, if you're a rugby fan then you'll already have a subscription to either TNT and/or Premier/Viaplay.

Premier/Viaplay show the URC/Pro14, TNT have the English & European club game sewn up. Sky's interest has historically been in the internationals.

This message was authored by SamH295 This message was authored by: SamH295

......and now low and behold, a 3.50 increase to sky sports. I'm switching it off. 

This message was authored by Alanwigster This message was authored by: Alanwigster

The ultimate irony has been seein Sky advertise during the ad breaks in TNT's coverage, if no ones watching why bother? I know the argument was that India wanted to much for the rights but was it any more than England charged them? Surely going forward a recipricol agreement should be made so the same station has both home and away matches and the charge is a nominal amount, or is that just to easy?  Last point population size doesnt equal spending power. Now I'm off to Dharamshala, its worked out cheaper in the end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Alanwigster 

I'd gently suggest the words 'nominal amount' have no place in modern sporting culture (or rather, business)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by japitts This message was authored by: japitts

@Alanwigster wrote:

I know the argument was that India wanted to much for the rights

I don't think that was the issue, Sky made a commercial decision to focus on other rights.

@Alanwigster wrote:

Surely going forward a recipricol agreement should be made so the same station has both home and away matches and the charge is a nominal amount, or is that just to easy?

Commercial reality of sports media rights contracts doesn't work this way. Rights holders want the best deal for themselves - mixing up the revenue obtained from pay-TV and balancing it against the exposure that FTA broadcasters offer.

Broadcasters then decide which contracts they are bidding for, and what the rights are commercially worth - whether they will attract new customers, avoid loss of existing ones, etc.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Alanwigster wrote:

The ultimate irony has been seein Sky advertise during the ad breaks in TNT's coverage, if no ones watching why bother?

I know the argument was that India wanted to much for the rights but was it any more than England charged them? 

There would also be time factor, so even if cost were the same the accessibility and audience would be smaller as it would be on while people are asleep.

The advertising would tend to be bought as a package, hence why ads tend to be on in similar order each ad break, rather then specifically going "we want ads on during cricket"

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion