Discussion topic: SKY STREAM - New software build QS021.005.00P caused new audio sync issue

Paul+Dray
Topic Author
This message was authored by Paul+Dray This message was authored by: Paul+Dray

Re: SKY STREAM - New software build QS021.005.00P caused new audio sync issue

I'm on Build QS023.010.00P and I've now noticed on some of the channels/programs  I've watched recently that there is the occasional crackle in the audio when something loud or of a certain frequency in the sound occurs like it's peaking/distorting. I've noticed it on BBC while watching the snooker. Happens on the commentary etc when they get louder. Thing is if I go to the same program but on the bbc iPlayer app the sound is fine so it's not in the transmission. This happened on a film I was watching too a few days ago. Think it was on Film Four but not certain. 

Anyone noticed this at all? Think it's happened since the first QS023 version. The lip sync problem still varies too of course.

————————
Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 50in Plasma TV | Yamaha DSP-AX863 SE AV Amp
Sky Stream Puck; Build: QS030.521.00P | Sky Broadband Ultrafast
————————
This message was authored by StanTheMan73 This message was authored by: StanTheMan73

I had this today, switched audio output to Dolb Digital and fixed it. Was on Auto, can't remember what I had before tho 

had SkyQ + 2 Minis with Philips Ambilight 48"

Now SKY GLASS 65" +
3 Pucks

SONY S40R 5.1 surround sound bar
SKY VIP Diamond (20+ Years)
Paul+Dray
Topic Author

My audio output was on Dolby Digital though with the crackling sound. When I first noticed this the other day I switched to PCM Stereo to check but it still did it on the same program I was watching so I put it back to DD and not bothered to change it again knowing it made no difference. for me then. As I say the same live program through the bbc iPlayer app was fine. All my audio issues I've experienced since QS021 onwards have been with the main live channels and not the apps or on demand stuff. 

————————
————————
This message was authored by Nigel66 This message was authored by: Nigel66

I had some popping previously when on auto and also DDP, along with lip sync issues. For me, at the moment, both resolved by setting to pass-through  and allowing my Sony TV plus external Sony sound bar to decode.

The main issue I have now is that I first need to turn on the TV and sound bar before the stream puck, as otherwise the puck will cause both the internal TV speakers and sound bar to output at the same time rather than just the sound bar.

Paul+Dray
Topic Author

@Nigel66 wrote:

I had some popping previously when on auto and also DDP, along with lip sync issues. For me, at the moment, both resolved by setting to pass-through  and allowing my Sony TV plus external Sony sound bar to decode.

The main issue I have now is that I first need to turn on the TV and sound bar before the stream puck, as otherwise the puck will cause both the internal TV speakers and sound bar to output at the same time rather than just the sound bar.

I wouldn't describe what I'm hearing as popping but like audio distortion at certain frequencies and louder parts of whatever is playing. Only does it on my sky puck live channels. 

Your soundbar / puck output issue could be more complicated and related to how you have things connected. There's a couple of ways of connecting things through a soundbar / tv. HDMI ARC / Optical/Coax Digital cable etc. message me privately if you like @Nigel66 if you want. May be able to help. 

————————
————————
This message was authored by Herbie23 This message was authored by: Herbie23

Yes I would like to try the downgrade please 

Paul+Dray
Topic Author

So I'm now on Build: QS024.008.00P

I've not tested extensively particularly yet but the audio seems to be much more in sync on the live channel stuff I've watched so far. Sky News for example. So that's progress. However there are still audio related issues when rewinding / fast forwarding where by sometimes the audio disappears when returning to playing. My suspicion is this is a larger issue regarding the rewinding/fastwording feature which seems to have got worse for this build release as sometimes it gets well confused and shows as paused when it's playing or vice versa or it just freezes and you have to wait for it to snap out of it or power off. ITV player was particularly struggling with this yesterday. But it happens elsewhere too. 

Anyone else notice any changes for this new build?

————————
————————
This message was authored by Herbie23 This message was authored by: Herbie23

Sorted mine, put the sky puk and tv to 0ms delay and turned the sound on the tv to pcm from bitstream all good and good sound as well 

Paul+Dray
Topic Author

It was discovered early on that the lip sync issue didn't affect PCM stereo output. That wasn't a fix though as it's just stereo rather than digital surround sound. However as I said in my last post above yours the latest build (QS024.008.00P) seems much improved in being more in sync (for now) when in a bitstream mode.

————————
————————
Paul+Dray
Topic Author

How strange, since my last post about my sky puck upgrading to QS024.008.00P it then further upgraded yesterday to QS024.012.00P. And as said before the lip sync issue was much improved since QS024... tonight I turn on my sky puck and it's reverted to QS023.010.00P !! Huh? What's going on sky? It's late so I haven't checked to see if the lip sync issue is back yet. Will this weekend. Still though we seemed to be getting somewhere with QS024.. so seems weird that it seems to have been pulled. What software version is everyone else on now?

Edit: Sky News already looks like the lip sync problem is back where the video is slightly ahead of the audio so can't be fixed by delay. So annoying! QS024 seemed to have fixed it so why go back?

————————
————————
This message was authored by LS3Capri This message was authored by: LS3Capri

Hahahah. Yup. Same as me. Looks as though it's been rolled back. The software engineers at sky are a joke and need replacing with someone that know what they are doing. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LS3Capri I fully agree that a rollback can be frustrating but I would much rather they did it if necessary than bury their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away.  I am still on QS024 and like @Paul+Dray I have not had any issues with it so far.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by LS3Capri This message was authored by: LS3Capri

Totally agree if it FIXED an issue but it hasn't from what I've seen on mine 😩

Paul+Dray
Topic Author

@Fothergill1 wrote:

@LS3Capri I fully agree that a rollback can be frustrating but I would much rather they did it if necessary than bury their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away.  I am still on QS024 and like @Paul+Dray I have not had any issues with it so far.

If it broke something or had a software security vulnerability then yeah I can understand having to roll back but I'm not sure that's the case here especially as you say yours hasn't rolled back. 
The only thing I had a problem with on QS024.. was some rw & ff issues but that's always been the case to varying degrees.

————————
————————
Paul+Dray
Topic Author

@LS3Capri wrote:

Totally agree if it FIXED an issue but it hasn't from what I've seen on mine 😩

Did you not notice any lip sync improvements when you were on QS024 @LS3Capri ?

————————
————————

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion