Discussion topic: Netflix: Red Spinning Circle on Launch

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Netflix app crashing/won't load

@MarkJ22 wrote:

Yeah pretty much all TVs do these days. The issue here is that we all watch everything through our Sky Q box and for those of us on here who have posted it doesn't work sometimes.

I could watch NF on the TV but that requires pressing more buttons and it SHOULD just work through the Q box

Of course, mine only worked intermittently for a long while and I used the TVs App instead. It's just a little disingenuous to say they're paying for something that they can't use.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by Dee7 This message was authored by: Dee7

Help! Same issue for weeks - Netflix will not load and the circle just keeps going round and round. Very frustrating and thinking I'll get Netflix removed off my Sky package if this cannot be permanently resolved.

@Dee7 wrote:

Help! Same issue for weeks - Netflix will not load and the circle just keeps going round and round. Very frustrating and thinking I'll get Netflix removed off my Sky package if this cannot be permanently resolved.

If you use Netflix and will continue using it surely the Sky Netflix subscription is lower than a separate sub? Just use the Smart TVs (or Amazon Firestick perhaps) version for now. You can always use it as a bargaining tool when your renewal comes around 🙂

I've had one of the Sky employees on here contact me again asking me to change a setting on the account so they can pass it back to the support team. My problem with Netflix disappeared or was resolved a couple of months back (so far anyway) but I won't discuss who and what was done yet as it may not help yourself or others and may just muddy the waters if it turns out not relevant.

Be assured that they are trying to track down what the issue is for those still affected.

(And no, I don't and never have worked for Sky 😉 )

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by MarkJ22 This message was authored by: MarkJ22

Interesting that you have a direct connection to the TV and have had issues 

Mine has been working the past few days so it cannot be a connection issue!!

I don't see a problem sharing your fix. It may help someone and is at least another thing to try if people are still stuck at the red whirrrr of death

@MarkJ22 wrote:

Interesting that you have a direct connection to the TV and have had issues 

Mine has been working the past few days so it cannot be a connection issue!!

I don't see a problem sharing your fix. It may help someone and is at least another thing to try if people are still stuck at the red whirrrr of death

Actually, fair point although I don't know if anything was done at all the first time I was contacted or whether that was coincidental.

I've just gone back over what was requested and checked nothing has changed on the Q box and it's still the same Mac address and Netflix ESN details. Yesterday I was asked to log into the Netflix account online,  go to the "Account" link and turn off "Test Participation" at the bottom if it was on (it was).

I would hazard a guess that the request for the Mac address and Netflix ESN details from the Q box allowed them to remotely monitor, if not access Netflix directly on my box with presumably logs to pour over. 

Turning off "Test Participation" is possibly to just remove one variable to help track the issue down.

Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by JFM1 This message was authored by: JFM1

Just to add a workaround...

It isn't necessary to unplug the box when Netflix gets stuck.

Press the back button and exit Netflix.

Open the BBC iPlayer App and then exit out of that.

Open Netflix again... now working again.

Usually works for a few days...

Collinsc
Topic Author
This message was authored by Collinsc This message was authored by: Collinsc

Re: Netflix often not working on SkyQ

How can i get this question in front of a sky employee?

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Collinsc 

Try the following:

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings. With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select. then highlight Refresh all Apps on this box.

Sky Q boxes are quite long in the tooth now and were never initially designed to host apps so they do tend to be slow and prone to locking up.

For a better Netflix experience I'd recommend using the Netflix app built into your smart TV (if you have one) or a dedicated streaming device such as a Firestick, Roku or Apple TV 4K box. 

Collinsc
Topic Author

Thanks robert

as mentioned in my post however, the "refresh apps" is no longer on that hidden menu.

I really need to speak to someone from sky about this. I would have expected a response by now as it has been 5 days since I posted

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky employees have responded (or been quoted) in the other threads on this subject iirc

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Collinsc wrote:

Thanks robert

as mentioned in my post however, the "refresh apps" is no longer on that hidden menu.

I really need to speak to someone from sky about this. I would have expected a response by now as it has been 5 days since I posted

Refresh apps has not been removed. From the hidden menu in Sky Q.

To refresh your apps;

On Sky Q:

1. Press Home on your Sky Q remote, then highlight Settings
  2. Press 0,0,1 and Select to access the Installer menu
  3. Select Apps then highlight Refresh all Apps on this box. You'll see a message that says, 'Your apps are being refreshed'.
  4. Press Dismiss to return to normal viewing.

The refresh can take 24 hours to complete.

Also, have a browse of the guidance here;

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/apps-on-sky-q-and-glass

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
Collinsc
Topic Author

Thank you! 
yes I was missing a step!

still need someone from sky now though to talk to about the Netflix issues

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Collinsc wrote:

Thank you! 
yes I was missing a step!

still need someone from sky now though to talk to about the Netflix issues

After reading link above, not just doing a refresh of the apps.

What problems are you getting with Netflix on Sky Q.

Any error messages?

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
Collinsc
Topic Author

I'm afraid there are no error messages. The Netflix screen appears and that is all

This message was authored by Kirsty+S27 This message was authored by: Kirsty+S27

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

As @Colin0000 has advised, anyone still having the Netflix app not loading (spinning red circle) please try the below steps to resolve the issue. If you can advise if this resolves the issue for you or not and we can feed this back to the support teams:

This will involve logging into Netflix on a webpage to amend settings. 

Once you log in, click on My Account -> scroll to the bottom and you'll see the below options:

KirstyS27_0-1695996066252.png

Click on "Test Participation" and if the feature is on, please turn this off. If you can go onto the app on your Q box and let me know if this loads properly.

Thank you.

Note: marked as answer to be easier to find. 

Kirsty

Community Manager

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion