Discussion topic: Netflix: Red Spinning Circle on Launch

This message was authored by MarkJ22 This message was authored by: MarkJ22

Re: Netflix app crashing/won't load

Not for me

They kindly did a online technical call with me. Checked my current software and that I had done the app update. Which I have

They then asked if I was using the pink HDMI that comes with the QBox. Which I do

Then then asked me if the pink cable plugged directly into the TV.

However, my Qbox is in an IT rack in a separate room from the TV . It plugs into a Denon amp which in turn is connected to an HDMI extender to send the signal along cat6 to the TV where it is converted back to HDMI and plugged into the TV.

It is difficult to plug the QBox directly into the TV. I will need to take another TV off the wall and then unravel the cables in the IT rack to unplug the cable from the Denon.

This is a major pain in the **bleep**!!!

I have 3 minus. Lap top ,PC, 6 TVs and 2 mobiles and NF works fine. Sometimes it works on the main TV using the Sky Q box but sometimes it doesn't.

The Sky tech said was an issue with the Netflix coding that preventedbit from loading and the only way to confirm this is to plug it directly!! However it's been working fine for 4 years and does sometimes work!!

So my question to the forum is this:

How is your Sky Q box connected to your TV? Is it direct from the box or through anything.

Is anyone with a direct Sky Q to TV connection having the same Netflix loading issue?

This message was authored by LSRahman This message was authored by: LSRahman

Hi Mark, my sky q box is connected directly to the TV and I am still having the same issue like everyone else. Up until July I had no problems with it. I can watch it on my smart TV, mobiles laptops without any issues but only issue is on the actual sky q box only. 

I hope this helps. 

Have you called Sky or have they given you any help?

The tech said thousands of customers have NF and are all fine but I'm not sure how they would know??; Many thousands don't use this forum 😔

This message was authored by LSRahman This message was authored by: LSRahman

Yeh I have called them many times since July & each time they go through the settings & when they realise everything is all it should be just refresh the apps & tell me to give it 24 hours which works for a few days & then it happens again. 

On Saturday I got fed up & made an official complaint to sky. They got in touch & wanted to put me through the technical team to see if they can fix it but since I refreshed the apps on Saturday it has been working fine. 

I am waiting to see if it happens again & then I will call & speak to the technical team. 

This message was authored by Mark187187 This message was authored by: Mark187187

@LSRahman I have had a similar experience. The person helping me is really nice, but they've just been getting me to do the following over and over and in different order, even though I'd tried all these things before even raising the issue:

1. Reset apps

2. Update box software

3. Log out of Netflix then in again

4. Check output resolution

5. Check HDMI lead

I don't think they've asked me to try anything I hadn't done before, and when the case was escalated to the back office tech team, they made exactly the same suggestions. There seems to be a reluctance from Sky to accept any responsibility for these various issues with the Netflix app, and they seem to constantly say it's something I've done or something specific to my box, even though there's 100 posts here of people with the same issues. 

This message was authored by blobsie This message was authored by: blobsie

I confirm I have experienced the exact same problem with Netflix on a Sky Q box since returning home on Saturday 16th Sept after a two week vacation away from home.

This message was authored by carrie171 This message was authored by: carrie171

@Mark187187 it's very hit & miss, isn't it? Sometimes the refresh works, sometimes it doesn't!

I've taken to unplugging the box overnight, usually  Netflix will load once I've switched the box back on, sometimes not!

it is irritating to pay for something you can't always access!

Nit sure if it's coincidental, but this issue happened as soon as Virgin upgraded my  Wi-Fi to fibre, although looking at when everyone else's issue started, it seems to be a coincidence that the upgrade was at the same time.

I will cancel if it persists, my life doesn't depend on Sky or Netflix!!

This message was authored by steve+bendell This message was authored by: steve+bendell

I have lost my confidence in Sky not just not for this reason but an issue with mobile phone network as well.  It is their reponses to these issues that is the problem,  they try their best to fob you off without looking to fix the issue.

Virgin have just finished laying cables in my area and as soon as they are live I'm off.   Probably have issues there as well but if you dont try we never know.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@MarkJ22 wrote:

Not for me

They kindly did a online technical call with me. Checked my current software and that I had done the app update. Which I have

They then asked if I was using the pink HDMI that comes with the QBox. Which I do

Then then asked me if the pink cable plugged directly into the TV.

However, my Qbox is in an IT rack in a separate room from the TV . It plugs into a Denon amp which in turn is connected to an HDMI extender to send the signal along cat6 to the TV where it is converted back to HDMI and plugged into the TV.

It is difficult to plug the QBox directly into the TV. I will need to take another TV off the wall and then unravel the cables in the IT rack to unplug the cable from the Denon.

This is a major pain in the **bleep**!!!

I have 3 minus. Lap top ,PC, 6 TVs and 2 mobiles and NF works fine. Sometimes it works on the main TV using the Sky Q box but sometimes it doesn't.

The Sky tech said was an issue with the Netflix coding that preventedbit from loading and the only way to confirm this is to plug it directly!! However it's been working fine for 4 years and does sometimes work!!

So my question to the forum is this:

How is your Sky Q box connected to your TV? Is it direct from the box or through anything.

Is anyone with a direct Sky Q to TV connection having the same Netflix loading issue?

I have as simple a setup as possible (given in my signature) with the only "addition" being the TV audio is output to a soundbar so I don't think it's your edge case setup that's the issue although it's definitely possible. If you can test with the Q box plugged straight into a TV for a few days perhaps it may show either way. I appreciate that this may not be possible without civil war breaking out. I can understand Skys viewpoint in this BTW as you can't expect them to provide technical support with your setup beyond the basics.

My long term issue with NF not loading appears to have been solved by Sky when I was asked to pass on some details from a Sky employee on here (I won't name them as I don't want to be responsible for flooding their inbox).

The details requested were:-

"I wanted to reach out regarding this issue with the Netflix app and I have been requested to ask for your MAC address & Netflix ESN number from your Q box. As this is confidential information I cannot ask on the thread therefore if you can supply this I will be grateful. 

To find your MAC address:

Press HOME -> Settings -> System Info -> MAC address Ethernet (and below is the ESN)

Thank you for your help (dated 27/07/2023)"

I've not had an issue with NF since a few days later when I presume something was changed, only having one reboot of the box since for an unrelated issue to do with recordings (I think).

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"

I've updated my signature to include the fact that the Q box is hardwired to the router with WiFi disabled on the Q box (completed and recommended by the Sky engineer who came to sort the FTTP).

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"

I think the thread heading is Netflix Crashing or not loading so covers Netflix not working on our Sky Q Boxes.

Interestingly the past couple of days its worked perfectly. So how can that be? Has there been an update in the Sky or NF software?? Problem is there are no notifications?

However that does tend to suggest that my sytem set up doe not cause any issues??

Lets see how it goes

This message was authored by ptduham This message was authored by: ptduham

My Netflix on sky Q has been buffering for the last week , not sure why but I seem to be able to get on during the day  so I thought it was something to do with moving to sky bB/Band , reading through a lot of the comments I can see lots of people having problems 

its so frustrating paying for a service I can't use

This message was authored by Mark187187 This message was authored by: Mark187187

@MarkJ22 mine is still crashing today. I didn't get the impression talking to the tech team that this would be a quick fix, so could just be a coincidence, the problems for me are a bit intermittent. 

@ptduham wrote:

My Netflix on sky Q has been buffering for the last week , not sure why but I seem to be able to get on during the day  so I thought it was something to do with moving to sky bB/Band , reading through a lot of the comments I can see lots of people having problems 

its so frustrating paying for a service I can't use

Your TV probably has the App built in.

Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"

Yeah pretty much all TVs do these days. The issue here is that we all watch everything through our Sky Q box and for those of us on here who have posted it doesn't work sometimes.

I could watch NF on the TV but that requires pressing more buttons and it SHOULD just work through the Q box

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion