Discussion topic: Deleted Recordings

This message was authored by FullLoader This message was authored by: FullLoader

Deleted Recordings

When I delete a recording it goes into Manage > Deleted

This usually gets clogged up quite quickly for me, is there a way for these to be automatically deleted instead of having to manually delete them? Or are they automatically deleted after a month or so?

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Deleted Recordings

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FullLoader wrote:

Ok so if I keep adding to the deleted recordings would they just get automatically deleted at some point? I never keep recordings, I always delete them once I've finished watching them so I never run out of space in Most recent.

@FullLoader 

You don't really add to the deleted recordings as such  - if the space has not been reused they appear in the list allowing you to restore them.

The system will use the space when needed so when it uses the space from a deleted recording, it will no longer be listed

Thus you really don't have to worry about how many entries are listed in the deleted recordings section

There is no need to go in and select permanently delete

As I said most customers probably never even go into the Manage - Deleted section 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@FullLoader wrote:

When I delete a recording it goes into Manage > Deleted

This usually gets clogged up quite quickly for me, is there a way for these to be automatically deleted instead of having to manually delete them? Or are they automatically deleted after a month or so?

You don't have to delete from the deleted list - the system automatically uses the space when needed. 

Most people probably never go into the Manage - Deleted option unless it is restore  something accidentally deleted

FullLoader
Topic Author
This message was authored by FullLoader This message was authored by: FullLoader

But doesn't it take up space if you don't delete from the deleted list? 

I've deleted programmes from there and noticed my disk space goes up after I've deleted programmes.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@FullLoader  No deleting from deleted won't get you anymore genuine space

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
FullLoader
Topic Author

So effectively there's no point deleting from deleted? I could've sworn it gave you more space? 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@FullLoader wrote:

So effectively there's no point deleting from deleted? I could've sworn it gave you more space? 

@FullLoader No real point

Deleting permanently from the Deleted section can sometimes cause showing a decrease in space used but leaving deleted items in the list just means the space is not always fully marked as released but is availble for use & it does not matter as the system will use it when needed  

FullLoader
Topic Author

Ok so if I keep adding to the deleted recordings would they just get automatically deleted at some point? I never keep recordings, I always delete them once I've finished watching them so I never run out of space in Most recent.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

The box will automatically remove the oldest deleted recordings when it needs the space. There's no advantage to deleting them manually. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

@FullLoader wrote:

@FullLoader 

You don't really add to the deleted recordings as such  - if the space has not been reused they appear in the list allowing you to restore them.

The system will use the space when needed so when it uses the space from a deleted recording, it will no longer be listed

Thus you really don't have to worry about how many entries are listed in the deleted recordings section

There is no need to go in and select permanently delete

As I said most customers probably never even go into the Manage - Deleted section 

FullLoader
Topic Author

Thanks, in that case I will just leave manage deleted section.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion