Discussion topic: Sky Go macOS app does not open after latest update.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Sean_69 This message was authored by: Sean_69

Re: Sky Go macOS app does not open after latest update.

I finally found away to enable the SIP on my Mac and now the Sky Go App loads.

I am not sure why the SIP was partly disable on my MacBook Pro but SIP enable is standard and normal.

To check the status of the SIP, open a terminal window and type "csrutil status"

To enable SIP reboot the MacBook with Control+R to get to recovery mode. In recovery mode click on the menu bar "Utilities" and select Terminal.

In the Termianl window do "csrutil enable" then reboot the MacBook.

This message was authored by rgiorgiotech This message was authored by: rgiorgiotech

@Sean_69 The problem is that SIP is already enabled ("System Integrity Protection status: enabled") but Sky Go doesn't work.

This message was authored by Orlandobecky This message was authored by: Orlandobecky

My SIP is enabled and still skygo app will not work

This message was authored by Orlandobecky This message was authored by: Orlandobecky

I have spoken to Sky today and they said there tech team will look in to it over the next 6 days

This message was authored by rgiorgiotech This message was authored by: rgiorgiotech

@Orlandobecky Do you use macOS beta? I've just rolled back to official macOS Sonoma (not beta) and, with enabled SIP, Sky Go app works normally!

No idea, its a new laptop for me and it updated to the sonoma

This message was authored by Alastair_M This message was authored by: Alastair_M

So here's an interesting new angle on this.

I think the issue might be Sonoma... not Sky.

I am running Sonoma 14.5 (latest at time of writing). Seemingly random unconnected facts below but I bet they are connected:

• I use an HP LaserJet printer (M480) on my network. Until recently on all our Macs it worked perfectly.
  • Recently (can't say when) network printing became a bit temporamental. Then it basically stopped working.
  • I had to download and reinstall sofware from HP and then reinstall the printer on our three Macs.
  • Install worked OK on two out of the three Macs.
  • However on my own MacBook Pro M2 (the one I was / am having the issue with Sky Go on) the software just will not install. It seems to install... gets to a point where a dialog box pops up saying "SW Helper" and needs a password... I give it the password... it says "Installation Complete!" -- but then it tells me to add the printer, when I click to add it, an error comes up saying the software was not correctly installed and I should try again..

I realise some of you are now thinking "Why's he telling us about his HP driver software issue?!". Fair. But it seems a bit of coincidence that until recently I had no issue with either installing Sky Go or installing my HP driver software... now Sky Go won't install and HP drivers won't install.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with other software installation issues?

@Alastair_M Of course some drivers won't work with the new macOS versions, but I'm running Sonoma 14.5 and Sky Go works "perfectly" (so to speak, it's an Intel app and it's really slow to load and close...)

This message was authored by Alastair_M This message was authored by: Alastair_M

lol thanks

less obvious to me than you I guess. I would have thought developers of this stature (Apple, HP, maybe Sky to a lesser extent) could manage versioning so they don't break things. Especially since Apple's big claim is the greater platform stability due to the much lower reliance on third party software components than Windows. 
anyway I guess it will be solved at some point 

When you go to the app store it says that the skygo is not supported for this device?

This message was authored by BriggsBridget This message was authored by: BriggsBridget

Let's stay focused on the issue at hand and avoid getting sidetracked. Many of us have tried everything, including reaching out to Sky support, but we're still unable to resolve the issue. It's clear that the SKY GO app doesn't work on Mac desktop computers and laptops with macOS 14.5 Sonoma. The next version or update of the app needs to address this issue. This is not a Mac issue at all.

This message was authored by david21g This message was authored by: david21g

This is not quite true. There are  people who have posted who are on Sinoma 14.5  who have got it working but some had to enable SIP.  Personally it has worked  for me on two Intel Imac.

It seem clear there are some users are still having problem problems  even with SIP enabled. Are these Intel or M3 chips. Someone from Sky really needs to correlate.

I cannot find the appstore on my mac but a lot of apps installed from the the appstore need to have SIP enabled. I can find skygo for ipad  and iphone but not for Mac OS on the app store.

The link to download  for Mac OS is as below and from the sky website.

https://www.sky.com/pages/sky-go/download-the-app

Sky do need to get involved on this issue and correlate what is not working and what is.

This message was authored by Jacamie This message was authored by: Jacamie

They must have fixed it - I now have it running on my air m1 with sonoma 14.5 

@Jacamie thanks for that update, I'll try it again today on my MBP16/M2 and see if I have the same luck as you. Maybe I'll see whether the HP driver works now too... 😉 

This message was authored by wg12385 This message was authored by: wg12385

Just in case this is useful to anyone. I ran into this issue with an M2 macbook air and could not get the sky go app installed and working. I had a completely fresh machine, never installed skygo on it before, but the sky go installer would just crash after a few seconds every time. What i did to get it working was:

1. Installed an old version of the sky go app (someone posted a link earlier in this thread)
(note, the old version got me stuck in the update install loop other people have described)
2. Delete skygo, the installer, clear trash, restart machine
3. Download skygo installer from sky, installs and runs fine.

It seems for some reason that getting just any version of skygo installed once fixed something for my machine

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion