Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by Daz7 This message was authored by: Daz7

Price hike April 2024

Hi 

I recently read that Sky is hiking the prices in April by 6.7%. I think that that's wrong if you are in contract.  When I signed the contract at a certain price for 18 months, that the price I should pay for the 18 months. You can do it with Sky Mobile, no price rise mid- contract. So why not with TV & broadband? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Hello+Golds This message was authored by: Hello+Golds

Sky prices are going up again in April

I would like I would just like to point out to all sky customers. The prices are going up again and it would be a good idea to see if you can get better deals before they go up. I just like point out the sky customer service is good, very good When it working but as you will find out it can be poor. Also it would be nice if sky management would let you know all sky customers when things are changing it. I have been with sky 25 years and in time I have seen a lot of changes not all for the good.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Sky prices are going up again in April

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hello+Golds wrote:

I would like I would just like to point out to all telecom firm customers. 

It's not just Sky...  This year's round will be interesting - many firms have locked customers in CPI+x% increases so they win no matter what the inflation rate is...

to see if you can get better deals before they go up.

Generally it's very difficult to negotiate a deal if you're no where near the end of your minimum term.  Anecdotally, 'deals' are getting harder to come by.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Hello+Golds wrote:

it would be nice if sky management would let you know all sky customers when things are changing it. 

@Hello+Golds 

There was a press release earlier in which the Chief Operating Officer has stated

We’ll be contacting every customer that is impacted by this year’s changes soon, providing full clarity on how their products and services will be affected.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Also as a note negotiating a new deal wont negate the price rise. The April annual price rise ends up affecting all customers.

And has previously mentioned by others you will need to be in the past month of your fixed term deal to get anything other than "extend your contract at the current price" type deal.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

Also as a note negotiating a new deal wont negate the price rise. 

...although, last year I negotiated a new deal (my renewal was in March) with the price rises considered.

The forum is flooded every year with the following:

1) I've just taken a new subscription and it's gone up!

2) My deal was fixed (oh no it wasn't)

3) Can they do this?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Price hike April 2024

@Daz7  It's within the T & C's you've agreed to, so Sky can increase the base price, what you've agreed is a discounted period, not a fixed price for 18 months.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Hi @Daz7 

You aren't talking to sky. We are all customers here. Sky do publish in their terms that Price may change again during the minimum term. Also in the legal bit of their website they publish the actual increase amount for April.

I get what you are saying about mobile, but different product has different offerings. Most other broadband and TV companies increase in contract 

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Daz7 wrote:

When I signed the contract at a certain price for 18 months, that the price I should pay for the 18 months. 

Not when a price rise is specified in the contract and highlighted in the advertising.

Ofcom has always permitted this: they are proposing to change their regulations so that the amount of the rise will be specified from the start though.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/review-of-inflation-linked-telecoms... 

If suppliers were not permitted mid-point price rises then they'd just increase the initial cost to compensate.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood wrote:

If suppliers were not permitted mid-point price rises then they'd just increase the initial cost to compensate.

That is my fear - the law of unintended consequences...

I think the key issue is that size of rise is 'unknown' at the point the contract is agreed.  Whilst limits can be placed (max 10%) or the magnitude is linked to a benchmark (CPI/RPI) it's still effectively unknown.

This message was authored by StormWreck This message was authored by: StormWreck

Another hike.... what have they added as value. 

@StormWreck wrote:

Another hike.... what have they added as value. 

The same as every other provider doing the same.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Inflation means prices go up as costs go up. So I certainly wouldn't expect to get more from any service as part of an annual price rise.

Hey at least it's not like the food industry where you are paying more for less as prices have gone up and the size of most foods has gone down.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by StormWreck This message was authored by: StormWreck

3 times in 18 months... soon as I get the email I'll ask for a no pen cut. 

This message was authored by Mandy+1256 This message was authored by: Mandy+1256

The yearly price increase  & we get nothing more , after 13 yrs being of being a loyal customer I don't be surprised any more  I now expect the increase &  sky give no explaination why the increase . My sky tv increased by €2 . 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion