Discussion topic: Is this a scam refund

This message was authored by Fenderbender22 This message was authored by: Fenderbender22

Is this a scam refund

Got this email, called the number which sounds like Sky, but I'm still dubious.

2023-01-12_13-22-44.jpg

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: Is this a scam refund

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi everyone,

I checked this out and can confirm it is a legitimate email from Sky. Our normal process for refunds after cancellation is to refund to the Direct Debit on file however if this has been removed we have to process these a little differently.

I'm going to escalate your posts to our Community Messaging team who may be able to help you here so you don't need to call Sky directly, if not the team can direct you to where you can contact 🙂 For some reassurance, here is how our Community Messaging team work, see here. Keep an eye out for a chat bubble appearing on your screen, an agent will be with you as soon as they can.

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

No, I don't think that is a scam email as Sky does contact people who perhaps have left but have forgotten that they have credit on their accounts which might be why you have been sent this. So if you were a Sky customer then I would give them a call to get they refund returned to you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @Fenderbender22 ! Welcome to the Sky Community forum, where customers like you are on hand 24/7 (almost) to offer some fantastic advice and help on all things Sky-related. To learn more about Community, get started by clicking here.

I'd be dubious with this email too, instead of calling Sky I'm going to escalate your post to have a chat with a Sky Community adviser. For reassurance on how this service works, please see here. An agent will reach out to you as soon as they can via a chat bubble to the bottom of your screen, keep an eye out.

Thanks,

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thank you for escalating this. We have sent Fenderbender22 an invite to chat 🙂 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by xxxtglxxx This message was authored by: xxxtglxxx

I just had one of these too. 

Highly suspicious.  

Sky, please advise if our Details have been breached. 

This message was authored by Crowner This message was authored by: Crowner

Hi, sorry to jump on this thread but I have also received a similar email today. Any idea if they are legit?

Posted by a Sky employee

Are both your emails for the same credit value?

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

This message was authored by Jason2310 This message was authored by: Jason2310

My son just had this as well

Please contact us to arrange repayment of a credit balance on your account

Hello James,

We're writing to let you know that after checking our records we can see that there is an outstanding credit of £24.97 on your account.

We'd like to organise refunding this amount back to you as soon as possible. To do this, we need you to give us a quick call so we can confirm that the details we have for you are still correct.

Please call us on 08081 014 437 which is free to call from any UK landline number, so that we can arrange refunding your credit.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Denise Allan
Managing Director Customer Service
Sky Q 2TB, 2 Mini Boxes, Sky Fibre.
This message was authored by henry122 This message was authored by: henry122

I have also received an email offering a refund. The phone message said we need your SkyID at the top of the letter and we will send you a cheque. Sounds highly suspicious. There was no SkyID on my email. 

This message was authored by Crowner This message was authored by: Crowner

Mine is for a different amount. I'm currently on the phone to sky customer services, I didn't call the number on the email, and was advised this is correct.  However, I've been on hold now for 30 mins whilst the advisor speaks to billing?🙈

Posted by a Sky employee

Can anyone tell me what email address the email came from? You should be able to click on 'Sky' in the email and see the email address 🙂

The forum filter will try to stop you from posting an email address to protect personal data but you should be able to get around that by using spaces between words/characters.

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

This message was authored by Jason2310 This message was authored by: Jason2310

sky @ notifications . contact . sky
Sky Q 2TB, 2 Mini Boxes, Sky Fibre.
This message was authored by xxxtglxxx This message was authored by: xxxtglxxx

Mine is supposedly for £27.50 

It's weird because sky would have bank details right? 

This message was authored by henry122 This message was authored by: henry122

I wouldn't have thought sky would go to the trouble of issuing checks. If any refund is due why don't they put it back on your bank card

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@xxxtglxxx wrote:

It's weird because sky would have bank details right? 

They would have the details but the issue is that when people leave some cancel the direct debit which is usually how refunds are issued so when someone has cancelled the DD and there is an outstanding amount in the account the only way Sky can issue the refund is via a cheque.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion