Discussion topic: Sky Stream pic pixelating and freezing.

This message was authored by WeeDeR This message was authored by: WeeDeR

Sky Stream pic pixelating and freezing.

Happening on multiple channels including bbc. Have done all of the steps given in help section. Internet service is fine speed test, download 326mbps upload 24.3mbps.

All Replies

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Re: Sky Stream pic pixelating and freezing.

Are you connected by WiFi?

What is the Puck's connection speed to the internet measured using the Netflix Network check on the Puck?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by DantheSwan This message was authored by: DantheSwan

If this is randomly happening and for a few seconds at a time then this is considered "normal" by Sky and a non issue 

It's been this way for at least five years possibly longer, had it on Sky Q and now with Sky stream, three different ISP's as well, you'll be to,d all kinds of delightful things like it's your internet or router or interference from other equipment but the real truth is it's the Sky Services

Sorry for any disappointment caused 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DantheSwan wrote:

It's been this way for at least five years possibly longer, had it on Sky Q and now with Sky stream, three different ISP's as well, you'll be to,d all kinds of delightful things like it's your internet or router or interference from other equipment but the real truth is it's the Sky Services

Nope, it's not 'normal'. The streaming and satellite services are fine. No freezing or pixelation on my Sky Stream Puck or Glass, nor was there with my Sky Q box. The most likely cause for Stream/Glass is poor wifi (not the same as poor 'internet' or broadband).

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Mark39 wrote:streaming and satellite services are fine. No freezing or pixelation on my Sky Stream Puck or Glass, nor was there with my Sky Q box. The most likely cause for Stream/Glass is poor wifi (not the same as poor 'internet' or broadband).

Ditto.
I have had Sky  Stream since Feb this year and have experienced no freezing or any kind of pixelation on either of my pucks, connected on wifi to my Sky Broadband Ultrafast+ 500Mbps.

Both pucks get heavy dailu use acroso linear chanels and apps..

Also, I had Sky Q before that for a good eight years or so and never expeinced any freezing or pixelation on my main or mini box either. Only once for a lnb/dish realignments in that time that caused a few channel picture glitches (what Id call pixelation/breakup),  solved within a few days from a Sky engineer visit. Caused from very strong winds knocking out the dish alignment slightly.

As mentioned above.

The most likely cause for this kind of thing on Sky Stream is probably a poor speed from within the household overall bandwidth being made available to the pucks.

To determne what speed your pucks are getting, go to Netflix and scroll down to Get help and it will show the speed your box is getting locally to your puck. 

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by DuckieBoos This message was authored by: DuckieBoos

Sorry but skys own live entertainment channels and live cinema channels do sporadically pixilate and have green flashes on them. Sky maintain it's not a "known issue" I maintain there's enough people complaining about it not only on Sky stream but on other platforms too across the web that there is an issue with their distribution. They just are refusing to even watch their own output for more than 5 minutes to investigate .They'd rather have their customers repeat the same troubleshooting over and over again and blame individual customers. 

@DuckieBoos that would seem improbable, bearing in mind that everyone gets the same stream or satellite signal. Any issue would affect everyone.

This message was authored by DuckieBoos This message was authored by: DuckieBoos

@Mark39 I disagree. Buts thanks for your input 

I don't know why someone has marked my last reply as "answered" with regards to this topic. But then that seems to happen a lot on these forums but the initial question in reality never has been answered  to any satisfaction of the author. 

@DuckieBoos wrote:

I don't know why someone has marked my last reply as "answered" with regards to this topic. But then that seems to happen a lot on these forums but the initial question in reality never has been answered  to any satisfaction of the author. 

I imagine it was the author who marked it as the Answer.

WeeDeR
Topic Author

No apology needed, I have suspected the service has been unreliable for a while. Like most large corporations, once they have the monopoly, customers service and quality decline. 

WeeDeR
Topic Author

Yes I am connected by WiFi and have been since the service was installed. This is a recent problem since changing to sky Stream. 

WeeDeR
Topic Author

Puk connection speed 179.30mbps.

2 pucks household. 

Internetty 1gb broadband. 

WeeDeR
Topic Author

Actually no it wasn't. I have only just checked the forum for the first time today 19/08/24.

I have the same issue on 2 pucks that are connected by WiFi and 1 that is hard wired to SKYs own hub plus 1 other puck they replaced during their troubleshooting process..  Speeds to home 500. Speed to both WiFi connected pucks over 200. Wired puck maximum it could be over Ethernet connection. WiFi checked and optimised. Absolutely no issue with any other channels or on demand. It's only skys entertainment and cinema channels that have the green flash . The explanation that it's WiFi related therefore makes no sense to me. Why therefore is it not more widespread on all the channels and on demand? The only explanation is that it's  a fault at skys end with their channels. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion