Discussion topic: It was going so well but…..

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: It was going so well but…..

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Marvinator wrote:

Thanks very much. I'll speak to Sky and ask them to reduce my monthly cost until they can fix their boxes to work properly. 

They won't reduce your subs.  If wifi is flaky that is an issue internally within the home and is outside of Sky's control, as advised by other posters ethenet or powerline adapters work better than wifi.

The boxes DO work poroperly except in cases of low broadband speeds or poor wifi.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Marvinator
Topic Author
This message was authored by Marvinator This message was authored by: Marvinator

IMG_5106.png

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Marvinator  What does the speedtest from the netflix app on the puck show?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Marvinator
Topic Author
This message was authored by Marvinator This message was authored by: Marvinator

396 last I checked this morning.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Marvinator High broadband speeds has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the WiFi connection. I know of people that have 30 mbps and rock

solid service with Sky stream. Just because other devices have a good WiFi connection does not always mean you have a good quality WiFi output. Why not try power adaptors or invest in a new mesh system. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Marvinator the Ethernet port is 100mbps but that's much more than the Puck actually needs as a UHD stream running HDR10 and Atmos uses around 30mbps. We're on Sky Fibre 500mbps and the main puck is connected via Ethernet and the bedroom one via WiFi. The main bedroom is directly above the living room and the puck is probably about 12-14 foot above the router. Even over this distance the WiFi speed at the bedroom puck drops to around 50mbps but luckily the TV upstairs is HD only so it's enough. 

Honestly, I'd recommend connecting the main puck via Ethernet as you'll get a constant 100mbps connection and they work so much better 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Marvinator Can I ask who your ISP is ? And what mesh system are you using ? Is it worth trying to connect the stream box directly to the router rather than the mesh system. Mesh systems can cause clashes/issues at time - out of interest do you have a Sonos system, as they create their own mesh network that can cause the stream box issues 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
Marvinator
Topic Author

ISP is EE. Mesh is Mercusys Halo H50G. 

Mesh boxes positioned near each of the 5 pucks. 

nothing else ever has any problem.

Marvinator
Topic Author

Thanks, I might need to do that but I expect the system to just work in 2024. All my TVs report currently Netflix Speedtest speeds of 250-450 from the picks on a regular basis. I can Ethernet some but I can't run Ethernet cable through the whole house. This is supposed to be a wireless device. 

Marvinator
Topic Author

What would be a way of measuring the quality of WiFi connection as opposed to speed and latency?

Marvinator
Topic Author

 Just tested the living room close to my Stream puck. 

this is surely a strong WiFi signal.

IMG_5107.png

@Marvinator My thoughts are initially that the problem is being caused my the mesh system. Obviously not your fault or the mesh system, have you tried changing the frequency on the mesh system ?

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

I would also recommend a full network reset on all Sky stream boxes mate 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@Marvinator @Let us know how you get on. Hope all works out. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
Marvinator
Topic Author

Thanks. I have 2.4 and 5ghz both enabled and the stream picks seem to be connected to 5ghz. 

been looking in the mesh settings and have just turned off SIP ALG. I don't fully understand what it is but from what I can see online this seems to be an evil setting.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion