Discussion topic: Sky Q Apps pixelating

This message was authored by Bob+Niro This message was authored by: Bob+Niro

Re: Sky Q Apps pixelating

I have Sky multiroom. When I watch apps on the main box pixaltion occurs. When I watch the same apps i.e. Netflix/Prime in the other room there's no issue. Does this suggest the issue is with my main sky box?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JibbaJoy wrote:

@KinardUK wrote:

So a quick follow up from me, after replacing our Sky Q (2017) box with a new one, the problem has disappeared for us.

Hi @KinardUK , can you tell me the hardware version of your new box please [mine is 32B061 probably a 2021 version]

@JibbaJoy from memory 32B0 is the original V1 box from 2016 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by BB5585 This message was authored by: BB5585

I have a 2 Tb Sky Q box from 2017, Hardware 32B064. I have the router wired into the sky q box. My apps have been pixelating for about 3 months now (netflix/amazon prime/disney+). I have updated the software to the most recent available, but the issues have continued. When I watched amazon prime a couple of weeks ago, 15 minutes into a film my screen went black, the sky q turned off and then the sky q went through the reboot process before allowing me to go back into the app. This happened a couple of times. The pixelation appears random. I spoke to sky helpdesk  this morning and was talked through the usual resets and app refesh process. They even told me that the sky q box would be better connecting through wifi. Of course I was doubtful but gave it a try. The pixellation appeared again 45 minutes into a film on netflix. I called sky again and they did broadband checks which came back ok. They even suggested I move the sky q box, although that was not practical due to the dish wires coming into the house behind the box. Eventually they said they would send me a new box. Both times that I called sky, the calltakers stated they had no knowledge of the pixelation being a problem.

I await the replacement box with anticipation.

This message was authored by MandyLL This message was authored by: MandyLL

I have the same issue, noticeable when viewing Prime or sometimes Netflix via Sky Q.  Broadband speed not believed to be relevant - Download speed 60 Mbps. Upload 15 Mbps.

I appreciate we are awaiting a resolution, but is there anything I can try now as a workaround?

Many thanks Graham and Mandy.

This message was authored by type-r This message was authored by: type-r

Workaround is to use the Apps available via your smart TV (and not your Sky Q box). 

This message was authored by Thondwe This message was authored by: Thondwe

Beginning to wonder if switching to a smart tv/box (Apple TV/Roku etc) and Sky Now would give a better experience and free me from the long Sky contract ties...

This message was authored by JibbaJoy This message was authored by: JibbaJoy

Sky guy came today and swapped out the main SkyQ box then when he looked to reconnect the 3 mini boxes he said he couldn't leave them connect as I had them; one mini was hard wired to a mesh node as it was too far from main box to connect wirelessly. The main SkyQ box was also hard wired the primary mesh node.

Apparently all SkyQ boxes have to be connected via SkyQ's mesh network or directly via a ethernet link or via a Sky hub but NOT via a third party router or mesh system.

So I let him bridge my ethernet cables together to connect the main box to the remote mini so he could get it all working within spec.. I can always change it back to how it was if I need to.

The new box has a external brick PSU and hardware version 32B106; it looks refurbished as there are some scratches on it.

I'll report back if it has or hasn't resolved the pixelation issue.

SkyQ | Samsung 50" Neo QLED UHD TV | Swish Fibre 150 | Linksys MX5500 Mesh LAN
This message was authored by type-r This message was authored by: type-r

@JibbaJoy wrote:

The new box has a external brick PSU and hardware version 32B106; it looks refurbished as there are some scratches on it.

That's what I was given; a brick PSU and what also looks like a refurbished unit with hardware number: 32B12C.  It has fixed my pixelation issue.

This message was authored by Neil+Watts This message was authored by: Neil+Watts

Well the situation is getting worse and it's now middle september so why is this not resolved yet 

This message was authored by Aitch57 This message was authored by: Aitch57

I'm thinking of trying Sky Stream, has anyone given it a try.

This message was authored by Meldrewman This message was authored by: Meldrewman

Same here. 

im using the Sky Community to research and browsing this range of threads. 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Stream/bd-p/sky-stream

This message was authored by Meldrewman This message was authored by: Meldrewman

This message was authored by Mattym63 This message was authored by: Mattym63

Well I just got off the phone to Sky and the only thing the person could say was we are aware and we don't know when it will be fixed.

I asked about discounted bills as its been going on for almost three months and he replied with you can watch apps on other devices so why would we give a discount. Well if I had a smart TV I would do that, but I don't.

Sorry to say the way he was so dismissive with the situation was shocking since I am out of contact with Sky I will be looking to go to another provider now. @Daniel-F 

This message was authored by Kambo This message was authored by: Kambo

Hi @Daniel-F 

Can you provide an update on the fix?

Thank you.

This message was authored by Juliejoy This message was authored by: Juliejoy

I followed Sky's complaint procedure this morning and received this email back.  Just letting this thread know for info.

Thank you for reaching out to us about the pixelation issue you've been experiencing while watching Netflix and other apps via the Sky Netflix app.

We sincerely apologise for the frustration and inconvenience this has caused.

We want to assure you that our support teams are aware of this known issue and are actively investigating it.

While we do not have an immediate update on when the issue will be resolved, please be assured that it is being addressed, and we are working towards a solution in a future release.

Regarding compensation, for now, there is no specific update on this matter. We kindly request your patience until the issue is resolved.

Your feedback has been noted, and we are committed to ensuring that your viewing experience meets the high standards we strive for.

We appreciate your loyalty as a long-standing customer, and we are dedicated to resolving this issue for you. If you have any further concerns or questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion